I Do Like A 44% Drop On A Thursday

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52690913.html

13/08/2015

Price changed: Sale by Tender Offers in Excess of £1,100,000
24/06/2015
Price changed: from '£1,950,000' to 'Sale by Tender'
11/06/2015
Initial entry found.
A 44% drop, someone keen to get a sale...
How do you like them apples ?
That actually looks much better value than some of the S*** we see listed in Northants.

Of course the price is daft anyway but Welwyn is a pretty damn expensive area - I can't help wondering whether there is some basic flaw - noise from the A1?

An aunt and a grandmother both had small 1920s bungalows with massive gardens in Mardley Avenue, on that map on other side of A1 - they both sold them in the 70s for relative tiny peanuts to developers. There are now 6 to 8 houses on each site. My aunt bought a new, small house closer to the one you link to on the same side of the A1 - it had to be sold some yrs ago when she went into a care home, and I was surprised at how expensive the area had become.

That stretch of A1 was supposed to be a favourite haunt of Dick Turpin, hence 'Turpin's Ride' and 'Robbery Bottom' nearby - as kids we found that last one very funny.

This one sold for 40% more than it did in 2006, $1050000 versus £1450000

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/the-grange/pottersheath-road/welwyn/al6-9st/287854

Mental,. but true.

It seems there was no crash after all.

Are peiople with masses of money really that stupid ?

This listing is defintely back to 2007 levels, but as we know 2007 levels were 50% too high !!!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

At £1.9m it was a total joke. Now about right in this mkt. Will be veeeery interesting to see if it sells or not. Could be major clue as to real state of the mkt.

At £1.9m it was a total joke. Now about right in this mkt. Will be veeeery interesting to see if it sells or not. Could be major clue as to real state of the mkt.

I was guessing the 1.9 was to try and entice someone to pay over the odds in a sealed bid job.

at about £200 per square feet, in a good area, that's a good price now compared to the crazy prices we've been seeing. I'd say it was 2007 level.

Would you buy in that area at that kind of price now ?

Of course the price is daft anyway but Welwyn is a pretty damn expensive area - I can't help wondering whether there is some basic flaw - noise from the A1?

An aunt and a grandmother both had small 1920s bungalows with massive gardens in Mardley Avenue, on that map on other side of A1 - they both sold them in the 70s for relative tiny peanuts to developers. There are now 6 to 8 houses on each site. My aunt bought a new, small house closer to the one you link to on the same side of the A1 - it had to be sold some yrs ago when she went into a care home, and I was surprised at how expensive the area had become.

That stretch of A1 was supposed to be a favourite haunt of Dick Turpin, hence 'Turpin's Ride' and 'Robbery Bottom' nearby - as kids we found that last one very funny.

Its betwixt Welwyn and Stevenage though...i'd guess prices fall quite a bit the closer you get to Stevenage - its not nice.

Another footballers house?

Yep, don't know who though, quite a variety of shirts and the framed one in pride of place has too much reflection off it to identify.

I was guessing the 1.9 was to try and entice someone to pay over the odds in a sealed bid job.

at about £200 per square feet, in a good area, that's a good price now compared to the crazy prices we've been seeing. I'd say it was 2007 level.

Would you buy in that area at that kind of price now ?

Some would. If they can get the debt.

Me? Only if you paid me £500,000.

I don't get the sealed bids thing. If someone bid £1.9M and got it via sealed bid, because they got carried away with it all, then a valuer would put a big fat 'NO' on any mortgage once they saw how overvalued it was. Sealed bids aren't binding, they can just pull out as normal.

i wrote 1.6m on a piece of paper on monday then i wrote 1.1m on a piece of paper on thursday but no one bought the piece of paper from me

must be a drop , the pen never lies

Edited by longgone