House Price Crash Forum

Power Tools

Fully Detached

HOLA441
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I also looked into using a tool hire company, which might be a good idea for one project, until I properly understand what I really need. So I might do that for one project, and if I still have all fingers and toes present afterwards, move on with my new found knowledge into the purchasing side.

many cost a fortune, you'd be better off buying cheap tools to try, then upgrading if necessary imo

I'd buy a sliding mitre saw rather than just a chop saw ..

I find toolstation mainly cheaper than screwfix for similar quality

HOLA443

Makita gets my vote every time but be careful when it comes to cordless drills as there are two types of the popular 18v one (combi drill ) B&Q generally sell the cheaper version which has an identical outer shell but they have plastic/composite gears opposed to the slightly dearer one which has metal gears IIRC there is one digit different in the model number

If you want the rolls royce of cordless drills Hilti is the make but make sure you're sitting down when you see the price

HOLA444

I really like Hitachi for cordless power tools, and I'm a believer in buying once and something with enough power.

You don't need to buy batteries with each item, which offers a saving.

I avoid the cheaper Hitachi tools that Screwfix sell, often in kits. The drill in the following link is amazing, but as another poster said, all are only as good as the bits, discs or blades you attach. A bit like buying an expensive DSLR camera body and putting a kit lens on the front, it defeats the purpose.

Drill

Grinder

Jigsaw

HOLA445
HOLA446

If you want the rolls royce of cordless drills Hilti is the make but make sure you're sitting down when you see the price

Indeed. Workers are very proud of the big red case. Very good quality tools. If I were a rich man...

HOLA447

Only go cordless - also avoid Screwfix, unless there's a great deal with a load of batteries, a lot of crap in there these days.

Milwaukee M18 Fuel pretty much that if you're going to go big on one top end cordless tool range. Festool if you're big into woodworking - and some of their cordless drills are a good choice even if you're not.

Most brands have some tools they excel at, or some unique tools, but unless you're going to have an unlimited budget for tools (can't really understand why anyone wouldn't) it won't make sense for most people to buy into them all, Batteries are what cost the money so once you have some you can buy other bare/naked tools in the range cheap.

Ryobi 18v off ebay would be a good shout. A lot of it is pretty good for the money - relative to a lot of the cheap consumer sh1te - some tools, like impacts, reciprocating saw, are close to the top prop brands whilst others like angle grinders and and circular saws are crap compared to say Hitachi - Hitachi is a good choice if you didn't want to go for the M18 Fuel.

Large table item workshop kit, like pillar drills, will all be better decent makes 2nd hand off ebay than all the cheap Chinese crap hawked new.

If you're going to get one decent set of spanners get Snap On Flank Drive Plus (must be plus) to at least 19mm, preferably a little bigger, with no skips in sizes. I personally think they would pay for themselves and be a better investment that quite a lot of seldom used tools. Reason being they get rounded nuts and nuts you can only get an open-ended wrench on that no other makes will - I've changed my typical advice on this one Snap-On product where previously I would have said Snap On is not worth it for DIY.

Ok, humour me, how much for the snap on set of just spanners you recommend?

HOLA448

Well, I picked up my workbench, jigsaw, and circular saw, and while I was at it I decided to get one of their cordless drills. For the money, it's excellent - 2 batteries each with a 1 hour capacity, metal gears and everything. And the work bench is the billy b******ks as well. By the time I've added the cost of the wood, my chicken shelter is going to cost me £50 more than the nearest thing that I could buy, and I get a shit load of tools into the bargain.

I'm going to wait until the wife gets home before I actually start though. Trying to figure out the angle to pitch the roof at is a bit beyond me, so I'll get her to measure and I'll nail, hammer and screw. I think I'm more of a doer than a planner.

HOLA449

Well, I picked up my workbench, jigsaw, and circular saw, and while I was at it I decided to get one of their cordless drills. For the money, it's excellent - 2 batteries each with a 1 hour capacity, metal gears and everything. And the work bench is the billy b******ks as well. By the time I've added the cost of the wood, my chicken shelter is going to cost me £50 more than the nearest thing that I could buy, and I get a shit load of tools into the bargain.

I'm going to wait until the wife gets home before I actually start though. Trying to figure out the angle to pitch the roof at is a bit beyond me, so I'll get her to measure and I'll nail, hammer and screw. I think I'm more of a doer than a planner.

If you bought the cheap Titan circular saw, I have the same. Laser has already packed up after a few months :rolleyes: Its ok for ripping sheet material as I have so far. Not tried to do anything to any great deal of accuracy. I have a ryobi cordless effort which is very feeble in comparison. It never really recovered after trying to trim the bottom of a couple of doors years ago. and the ni-cads whilst ok for a bit of drill/driving and jigsaw-ing struggle with the circular. I'm waiting for a good Ryobi cordless offer to come along as my old tools will take the new Li-on batteries

HOLA4410

No, it's the Energer one - probably about the same quality, but I really listened to the people saying that the amount of use I'm going to put it to means I can get away with it. I haven't unboxed it yet. It's just sitting there looking very manly. I might take it to the pub later.

HOLA4411

If you bought the cheap Titan circular saw, I have the same. Laser has already packed up after a few months :rolleyes: Its ok for ripping sheet material as I have so far. Not tried to do anything to any great deal of accuracy. I have a ryobi cordless effort which is very feeble in comparison. It never really recovered after trying to trim the bottom of a couple of doors years ago. and the ni-cads whilst ok for a bit of drill/driving and jigsaw-ing struggle with the circular. I'm waiting for a good Ryobi cordless offer to come along as my old tools will take the new Li-on batteries

Limited power tool experience here, and I wouldn't personally go near a circular saw. Last job I did was using my Black & Decker electric hand plane to trim a cheap internal bathroom door for a relative. Weight of bathroom gowns on a hook had caused the door to sag. I discovered whoever hung the door in the first place had relied on loose hinges to allow door to fit, so had to trim it. Quite easy with electric-planer I found, other than discovering don't put too much pressure at the front of the planer as you work it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

pwhoar! The Screwfix catalogue is fab.

It's full of blokes in safety boots, er maybe that's your thing. :blink: Pop round, and I'll wear mine. ;)

HOLA4414

Limited power tool experience here, and I wouldn't personally go near a circular saw. Last job I did was using my Black & Decker electric hand plane to trim a cheap internal bathroom door for a relative. Weight of bathroom gowns on a hook had caused the door to sag. I discovered whoever hung the door in the first place had relied on loose hinges to allow door to fit, so had to trim it. Quite easy with electric-planer I found, other than discovering don't put too much pressure at the front of the planer as you work it.

At the time, I didn't have any other need for a planer nor room for tool passengers so the saw had to do.

If I get into any more delicate carpentry I'd probably get one.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

£300 +

If you do a lot of mechanics, I would regard that as an "investment", but I think the Halfords Pro range sets are extremely good, and excellent value for most people, including me.

HOLA4417

Yes, space. Electric planer was given to me after a relative passed away. Two electric Makita drills; corded and cordless + a few handtools I don't know how to use. Kept in storage at a relatives garage, although was once told not a good idea to store tools in a garage. The Makita cordless drill got pretty soaked in a big flood (I left it in a toolbag on the garage floor), but still works. Pal in Salford Quays borrowed it a couple of times, until I told him to keep it until I need it.

HOLA4418

It's full of blokes in safety boots, er maybe that's your thing. :blink: Pop round, and I'll wear mine. ;)

I have my own safety boots and work trousers. It's the toolboxes I like. I just got a new one for bee stuff. :)

I have recently used a screwfix catalogue for doing cutting and sticking but it's a bit boring.

HOLA4419

I have my own safety boots and work trousers. It's the toolboxes I like. I just got a new one for bee stuff. :)

I have recently used a screwfix catalogue for doing cutting and sticking but it's a bit boring.

I am finding you mildly erotic! :blink:;)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

If you do a lot of mechanics, I would regard that as an "investment", but I think the Halfords Pro range sets are extremely good, and excellent value for most people, including me.

The Gemans would not agree http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WERA-JOKER-Metric-Imperial-Combination-Ratchet-Open-End-Ring-Spanner-All-Sizes-/370817045724?var=&hash=item56566b14dc

With you on the halfords stuff though, snap on is well over priced but their 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets( six point ) are in a league of their own as for the rest there are equals if not better out there for a lot less money

HOLA4422

With you on the halfords stuff though, snap on is well over priced but their 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets( six point ) are in a league of their own as for the rest there are equals if not better out there for a lot less money

American, British, German, Swiss, or Japanese. All make good quality hand tools. Don't expect an Indian or Chinese socket set to last. Sorry India, but it is true. :blink: Taiwan is OK though.

HOLA4423

American, British, German, Swiss, or Japanese. All make good quality hand tools. Don't expect an Indian or Chinese socket set to last. Sorry India, but it is true. :blink: Taiwan is OK though.

Apart from Thor hammers there's not much decent British made around.

India make quite a bit of industrial kit. i've got various flogging wrenches that are Indian.

Halfords Professional is good quality Taiwan - ratchet ring wrenches are good socket ratchet handles are not so great - where it scores for most people that, have something wrong with them and don't want to pour £kks into tools, is their larger socket sets are very comprehensive that would allow you to tackle a lot of automtive jobs where with a rival set you would find it lacking in say etorx sockets.

HOLA4424

Slightly off topic, but the initial burst of activity on my chicken shelter went quite well today. It'll be erm, rustic, but I'm actually quite pleased with myself - dowelled joints and everything.

Anyway, for the roof, I'm thinking of ply, topped off with some vinyl adhesive tiles. Except I don't know what to call vinyl adhesive tiles. I'm thinking of the sort of thing you see on store bought dog kennels and the like - anybody have any suggestions what to look for?

Ps. Still have all fingers, toes, and John Thomas. I'd say that deserves a pint.

HOLA4425

Archived