House Price Crash Forum

Power Tools

Fully Detached

HOLA441
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

indeed. Many years ago I used to drive diggers and 6 ton dumper trucks. The only thing that could make you feel more manly would be eating a Yorkie Bar at the same time.

Did you have a DeWalt Radio-Cassette player too? :blink:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, but it was 110v and I didn't have a transformer. So I had to sing to myself instead.

I like a man with music, if that's what we could call it! :(

HOLA446

Could be useful for some posters on here ...

left-handed-toolkit.jpg

Left-Handed Tool Kit, £224.95

If you know anyone who’s left-handed, you know how they struggle with tools made for right-handed people. Now you can help them out – with a complete set of tools made just for left-handers! There’s a left-handed hammer, left-handed saw, left-handed screwdrivers, and left-handed tape measure, plus a full set of left-handed wrenches, pliers, cutters and vise grips… and much more! Over 200 left-handed pieces in all! The Left-Handed Tool Kit contains everything the left-handyman needs to work easily and comfortably on any job around the house. For the left-handed, it’s a dream come true. But because it’s specially-made for left-handed people, the Left-Handed Tool Kit isn’t cheap. Its unique manufacturing costs, plus the low quantities involved, make this set more expensive than the typical right-handed tool set. But if you know a left-handed person who struggles with normal tools, you’ll be doing him or her an enormous favour by giving them a Left-Handed Tool Kit! Don’t wait – order yours today!

Hmm, not sure - that is definitely a right-handed saw...

HOLA447
HOLA448

I've traditionally not got on very well with any DIY projects that I've undertaken, and whilst I'm well aware that a bad workman has a tendency to blame his tools, I do think there's an element of that in my case. Because my tools are completely shit. One of my mates described them as "Fisher Price".

I'm 42. I can't go through the second half of my life without tooling up properly and at least giving myself the chance of successful completion of a DIY project. But I'm an HPCer, which means I look at De Walt tools, think what a lovely colour they are, then I look at the price tag, and someone has to come and help me back onto my feet again. I'm also aware that buying second hand means a possibility of buying broken or stolen tools, which would not be ideal.

So, I'm hoping that the frugal, fully tooled up chaps here can help me to find some gear at a decent price. I'm not going to put a budget on it - suffice to say I'll go as cheap as possible and buy second hand if it's decent quality, and consider new if it's cheap enough and decent quality.

What I'm after is:

• cordless power drill
  • jigsaw
  • circular saw
  • router
  • sander
  • workbench
  • any other power tools that a real manly man should actually have in his arsenal

And as an aside, any comments on those Ebay £500 tool box jobbies would be appreciated as well. My radar tells me they are probably shite, but worth asking.

Oh, and to give this all some context, it may surprise you to learn that I am not a professional carpenter needing to use the tools all day every day. Realistically, the drill is going to get used a handful of times a year, the others on occasion.

But you know, I need them.

I completely renovated my own house from the bottom up..

Didn't need a jig saw or router. Only job I did that needed a router was kitchen worktops and some fire strips in doors and I got tradesmen in to do those.

Part of being a good DIYer is knowing your limitations. Don't start a job if you lack the skills, experience, help or tools. Get a pro in. You will be much happier for it and the end of the day and as you watch the pro's you will learn from them.

I would add a chop saw to your list but other than that it seems complete, for jigsaw related jobs I just used varying types of handsaw.

Keep your eye on screwfix, they have some good offers periodically on power tools.

Edit to add Makita is my brand of choice and I would add a Bosch multi tool onto your list with the varying blades and sander attachments. Most useful thing I ever bought.

One of these.

513203_600_370.png

Hows this for HPC Money saving

I had a capacitor go on a tumble dryer a few weeks ago. It was one of those box built things where you to completely dismantle it to change the cap. Took it to a domestic repair man and he quoted the price of a new tumble dryer to swop the part out as he explained it was so difficult to get too.

With the above tool I was able to cut a hole in the side and replace the cap myself (£9.50 for the part).. Taped a bit of cardboard over the hole and bobs your uncle. My domestic support advisor was happy as Larry and as the thing sits in a corner doesn't have to look at a 'carboard patch'...

HOLA449

I completely renovated my own house from the bottom up..

Didn't need a jig saw or router. Only job I did that needed a router was kitchen worktops and some fire strips in doors and I got tradesmen in to do those.

Part of being a good DIYer is knowing your limitations. Don't start a job if you lack the skills, experience, help or tools. Get a pro in. You will be much happier for it and the end of the day and as you watch the pro's you will learn from them.

I would add a chop saw to your list but other than that it seems complete, for jigsaw related jobs I just used varying types of handsaw.

Keep your eye on screwfix, they have some good offers periodically on power tools.

Edit to add Makita is my brand of choice and I would add a Bosch multi tool onto your list with the varying blades and sander attachments. Most useful thing I ever bought.

One of these.

513203_600_370.png

Great tips, thanks - Bosch and Matika do seem to be the names that people go for.

Ref knowing your limitations, yes, I totally agree. But in all seriousness, there are some jobs I want to do which I can't even think about without the right tools. Eg I want to build a little day time shelter for my chickens, but this means cutting large pieces of board, and all I have is a carpenter's saw. Whilst I concede that it would be perfectly possible to do the job like that, I know my own personality, in that I would get tired, bored, and end up making a right **** of the job.

So it's more a case of knowing that my limitations are increasing my crapness at DIY, rather than hoping that they would turn me into some sort of Tommy Walsh type character.

HOLA4410

I also looked into using a tool hire company, which might be a good idea for one project, until I properly understand what I really need. So I might do that for one project, and if I still have all fingers and toes present afterwards, move on with my new found knowledge into the purchasing side.

HOLA4411

Great tips, thanks - Bosch and Matika do seem to be the names that people go for.

Ref knowing your limitations, yes, I totally agree. But in all seriousness, there are some jobs I want to do which I can't even think about without the right tools. Eg I want to build a little day time shelter for my chickens, but this means cutting large pieces of board, and all I have is a carpenter's saw. Whilst I concede that it would be perfectly possible to do the job like that, I know my own personality, in that I would get tired, bored, and end up making a right **** of the job.

So it's more a case of knowing that my limitations are increasing my crapness at DIY, rather than hoping that they would turn me into some sort of Tommy Walsh type character.

Use wriggly tin rather than board..... Certainly on the roof sections.

Board even treated would rot in a few years and you would be replacing it.... Treated 4 by 2 for the frames.....

Course you could put felt on it but the hens would get up there and now doubt over time would peck holes in it.

HOLA4412

I also looked into using a tool hire company, which might be a good idea for one project, until I properly understand what I really need. So I might do that for one project, and if I still have all fingers and toes present afterwards, move on with my new found knowledge into the purchasing side.

I had to make a hole for the washing machine outlet! I hired a professional tool that made big holes. Job done in ten minutes. Would have taken me some time with my regular drill, and some cold chisels! :blink:

HOLA4413

Use wriggly tin rather than board..... Certainly on the roof sections.

Board even treated would rot in a few years and you would be replacing it.... Treated 4 by 2 for the frames.....

Course you could put felt on it but the hens would get up there and now doubt over time would peck holes in it.

Wriggly tin! I love this forum!

Cut a few bits of that to size with my new circular saw, and the job's a good 'un! ;)

HOLA4414

Hmm, not sure - that is definitely a right-handed saw...

... only trying to help, afterall - it is ...

liefthandersday-slide.png

August 13th is a chance to tell your family and friends how proud you are of being left-handed, and also raise awareness of the everyday issues that lefties face as we live in a world designed for right-handers.

http://www.lefthandersday.com/

HOLA4415

... only trying to help, afterall - it is ...

August 13th is a chance to tell your family and friends how proud you are of being left-handed, and also raise awareness of the everyday issues that lefties face as we live in a world designed for right-handers.

http://www.lefthandersday.com/

Look Yorkie, it is not a disability! :blink:

HOLA4416

Personally I would buy tools as you need them. I still don't have a jigsaw or circular saw. Frankly a circular saw, like chainsaws, give me the fear as I know regular users of both who are missing bits of their anatomy. Nor do I like noisy tools. Only got a router to do the kitchen worktop because I couldn't hire one in time to take advantage of someone else's expertise.

A Bosch multi-tool is a massive time saver. Compatible saw blades etc regularly come for sale in Lidl and Aldi. Got a lightweight Bosch drill driver years ago which still holds enough charge for a couple of hours work and a Tesco (yes really) hammer drill driver which was reduced to £15. Between them most jobs that require power tools are covered.

Everything else are standard hand tools although I also have a multimeter for electrical work. Very useful for shower installation, for example.

Also strongly agree with the notion of an average tool with a high quality bit is better than a great tool with a crap bit. The advice of starting with cheap tools and seeing what you use is excellent too. For example, I've found I've started out with cheap adjustable spanner sets and then found there are only one or two I use regularly which have been replaced by better ones.

If like me you came late to DIY (partly as a result of always renting), start small with jobs and slowly build your confidence. I have had a few heart stopping moments though. Like the time I pulled some wallpaper away and half of the wall came down with it. Managed to sort it though. YouTube is a fantastic teacher.

Also get to know your neighbours. Many have tools they will happily borrow to you, give you some DIY coaching in.

HOLA4417

Look round the builder's forums.

Makita seems to be the choice de jour.

But I don't think it's worth tooling up professionally unless you need to use them a lot.

Agreed. As the lady of the house I often don my hard hat and clip board and do a lot of pointing as to where I want stuff, what with being a high maintenance bird an' all.

I'd say that a decent drill is probably the most important. We have a Makita and it's the one item that's put to use regularly.

Everything else is just as and when. We bought a cheap as chips jigsaw to put a cat flap in and cut some slatwall. It rarely sees the light of day and knowing that this would be the case we bought the basic one. Same would apply to any other rarely used tool.

HOLA4418

I buy Clas Ohlson stuff, pretty good stuff at good value.

Bought a planer which has been very good. Also work benches (tressels?) to put doors on when planing were good value.

Love their electric screwdriver thing.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

A note on cordless drills. Like really how often do you need that? I bought a 20 quid corded one which is basically perfect. No worries about power or batteries. Get an extension cable.

I would hazard a guess that most DIY-ers use their cordless drill more for driving than drilling, I certainly do. I would surely get in a tangle with a cord on it for many repetitve driving tasks. I also find a cordless easier to handle, one handed, than a mains drill as the weight of the battery makes it more balanced. Or is that just me?

My SDS is, of course, corded because a worthwhile cordless model is a big step up in price. Horses for corses but a cordless drill/driver is an excellent piece of kit.

Second the comments about bits and blades needing to be good quality over the expense of professional tools and the other thing is a good returns policy when the cheap crap breaks so Aldi/Lidl are good with, normally a 3 year guarantee and Screw fix typically have 2 years on their Titan stuff (Which in my limited experience is not great).

Good quality screwdriver bits as well, not just drill bits.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Not the advice you were hoping for but go for quality. Hint: DeWalt haven't been top quality since Black & Decker bought the company decades ago.

I have a £10 a week budget for tools. Means I can get a new Festool every 12 months or so.

The Festool track saw is amazing and so safe that I'd let a sensible 10 yo use it. Cuts are glue ready, no jointer needed. Will cut melamine with no scoring cut needed. I've no real need for their shopvac so I got an adapter that lets me use my Henry as a shopvac. I break down 8 x 4 sheets in the living room (workshop too small) and have zero sawdust to clean up afterwards.

I haven't got the Festool bench yet, ungodly price but some contractors have 2 of them and fly through their projects.

If you are adamant about using low price tools, then spend on the workholding. 2 x decent workmate type benches and LOTS of clamps.

HOLA4423

If you need tressels, buy yourself a sheet of 18mm ply and cut it up using your (new) circular saw. Use hinges to make a pair of tressels. Any remaining ply will make the tressels into a bench.

I made some about 7 years ago out of some waste ply and they're still going strong with almost daily use. I'd have got through dozens of plastic ones by now.

HOLA4424

Not the advice you were hoping for but go for quality. Hint: DeWalt haven't been top quality since Black & Decker bought the company decades ago.

I have a £10 a week budget for tools. Means I can get a new Festool every 12 months or so.

The Festool track saw is amazing and so safe that I'd let a sensible 10 yo use it. Cuts are glue ready, no jointer needed. Will cut melamine with no scoring cut needed. I've no real need for their shopvac so I got an adapter that lets me use my Henry as a shopvac. I break down 8 x 4 sheets in the living room (workshop too small) and have zero sawdust to clean up afterwards.

I haven't got the Festool bench yet, ungodly price but some contractors have 2 of them and fly through their projects.

YT link removed

If you are adamant about using low price tools, then spend on the workholding. 2 x decent workmate type benches and LOTS of clamps.

We'd all like to be packing Festool but needs must.

HOLA4425

If you need tressels, buy yourself a sheet of 18mm ply and cut it up using your (new) circular saw. Use hinges to make a pair of tressels. Any remaining ply will make the tressels into a bench.

I made some about 7 years ago out of some waste ply and they're still going strong with almost daily use. I'd have got through dozens of plastic ones by now.

If you don't have a white van, how do you get 8x4 home, man?

Archived