House Price Crash Forum

When Was The Last Time You Viewed A House ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

About 4 years ago, I still check Rightmove very regularly and am on the look out for a building plot.

However I honestly can't see us moving without a substantial HPC. I'm not prepared to take on a huge mortgage (if any mortgage).

HOLA443
HOLA444

About 4 years ago, I still check Rightmove very regularly and am on the look out for a building plot.

However I honestly can't see us moving without a substantial HPC. I'm not prepared to take on a huge mortgage (if any mortgage).

You and me both.

It's not a matter of opinion that house prices are unaffordable, it's a fact, and that's with 0.5% IRs and various government props.

HOLA445

Gave up 2 years ago too. HTB came along and it confirmed it for me.

I've got a cheap property in Thailand (typing this from there) - honestly feel like retiring right now.....fed up with it all - though I'm just on holiday and due to return to the UK in a few weeks.....drat.

Are you married to a thai ?

If not, how did you managed to get a house ?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I've got to move for work and so we're house hunting :(

Not getting on very well....everything seems over-priced, or ex BTL and so in need of tons of work (I'll have to work my backside off in new role so don't fancy taking on a doer-upper).

Seems to be a number of "revolving" properties that go STC, then on market, then STC.

HOLA449

I've got to move for work and so we're house hunting :(

Not getting on very well....everything seems over-priced, or ex BTL and so in need of tons of work (I'll have to work my backside off in new role so don't fancy taking on a doer-upper).

Seems to be a number of "revolving" properties that go STC, then on market, then STC.

Simply Rent

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Simply Rent

I've given up trying to guess where house prices will go, so we'll buy a house for the same value that our current one is "worth".

Last time we rented we got served with a s.21 because the landlord wanted to "let his friend from church" live there - despite being model tenants.

I've got a young daughter - I'll risk losing some cash for the security of tenure.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Married to a Thai - but you can own an apartment here as a foreigner outright - no need to marry a Thai. I think it's the rule that no more than 49% of a building (e.g. 100 flats, 49 apartments) can be owned by non-Thais. Same with a single house.

Even saying that - it's trivial to rent a place here if you're a foreigner - the costs of buying or renting are very low (outside most popular tourist spots) so it's a bit of a moot point.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

2013. At that point they went from simply overpriced to la-la land in the space of a few months. Asking prices round here are now 25-30% above 2007, but apparently there's no bubble and the BoE are diligently monitoring in case there were one.

It's good to know they've got my back.

HOLA4416

Married to a Thai - but you can own an apartment here as a foreigner outright - no need to marry a Thai. I think it's the rule that no more than 49% of a building (e.g. 100 flats, 49 apartments) can be owned by non-Thais. Same with a single house.

Even saying that - it's trivial to rent a place here if you're a foreigner - the costs of buying or renting are very low (outside most popular tourist spots) so it's a bit of a moot point.

Are you allowed to run a business (assuming you aren't married to a Thai national)?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

With a work permit. Some info here > http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=setting_up_a_business

Not easy. I don't work here. I have a small business in the UK. I'd retire here if I moved here permanently.

Thanks, I long for the days when you can just set up a business, electronic money deducting tax at source and minimal paperwork!

I love S.E.Asia and often think it would be a great place to spend a few years in.

HOLA4420

Its at the point now whereby to "buy" the"normal" house I want would pretty much amount to 50 years worth of rent payments. No maintenance and flexibility if something happens. Renting now is a no brainer and I would place a bet on rents going down too as the economy continues its "recovery" :)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

In my late thirties.

To rent - circa half a decade ago.

To buy - Never (unless you count my folks buying their place).

I had a window of 10 months in my entire life - right at the start of my proper working life where it might have been feasible to do so. I tried to save a bigger deposit though (silly me) and was made redundant right at the end of that window and just after that prices went utterly bonkers.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4423

2007, I have zero interest in viewing houses when the asking price is over double what I consider to be value for money.

+1

2004, if house prices had fallen a reasonable bit from that point back to some value. I don't even glance at the adverts now. Except for example what's posted on HPC as examples of crazy - haven't for years now

Edited by billybong

HOLA4424

+1

2004, if house prices had fallen a reasonable bit from that point back to some value. I don't even glance at the adverts now.

I only look at rightmove to see how mad it's become :lol:

There is definitely that 2007 feeling again, prices are just mental now, no ifs, no buts, they are mental. even the trolls are saying they expect a modest correction, that's how bad it is. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4425

In my late thirties.

To rent - circa half a decade ago.

To buy - Never (unless you count my folks buying their place).

I had a window of 10 months in my entire life - right at the start of my proper working life where it might have been feasible to do so. I tried to save a bigger deposit though (silly me) and was made redundant right at the end of that window and just after that prices went utterly bonkers.

Similar, was never in the right place at the right time with regard to UK property. Of course, I could have bought for 8-10 x salary like some of my contemporaries, but that just turned them into employee slaves petrified of saying boo to a goose. Of course, I'm viewed as the enemy.

In hindsight, I'm doubly grateful as I have no emotional ties to bricks and mortar, or to possessions, and I've never paid for a loan.

The market is still not at a point where I would bother to look given the money I have at my disposal.

Edited by LiveinHope