House Price Crash Forum

Uk Nightclubs Closing At 'alarming Rate', Industry Figures Suggest

HOLA441

To be honest, the pubs are finished too. Not even the 'off down to the pub for last orders' types, to escape the wives for an hour! A lot of pubs if they weren't legally obliged to be open as Public Houses would simply not be open.

Quite sad to see that side of social interaction going. Times have changed and costs are too high.

Pubs have just lost a big chunk of their market to coffee houses. Times change.

The smart money got out of pubs and into coffee bars many years ago. I could perhaps be more specific, and say got in to coffee bars in 1995, and out of pubs and bars in 2001.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I don't drink. I'm 26.

Society is structured than you are horrendously crushed your whole working life until you actually start to be able to relax and rake it in during old age.

So why destroy your health in older age by a life-time of drinking, when clearly society only let's you have wealth and time in your older years?

Surely you want those older years to be as long and as fit as possible.

quite simply your forced to play the game.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Funniest thread in a long time.

Was it just me or did everyone in a nightclub feel like a tit ?

Wot you can't dance and stand round the outside of the dance floor with your pint. Then you might dance doing the big box little box after a few. Yeah that's the good times.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Wot you can't dance and stand round the outside of the dance floor with your pint. Then you might dance doing the big box little box after a few. Yeah that's the good times.

Yip, felt a tit.

I always think if you turned the music off suddenly how stupid everyone would feel.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

A big chunk of the potential market must be university students. Someone on the radio discussing this said that increasing tuition fees have had an effect but I disagree. Tuition fees are paid with long term loans so don't affect current spending psychology. However students also get a maintenance loan ( about three thousand and something a year) to cover rent, food, transport, books etc - and for most, it doesn't cover those things. That is where there is the financial impact day to day, so those without big parental handouts will avoid unnecessary costs.

At the younger age bracket, 16 - 19 year olds don't get EMA (education maintenance allowance) of £30 a week anymore.

Y

HOLA4413

I really like Hipsters. I feel kind of pre-Hipster from back from the 1990s well before it was invented. Most of the new hire young guys in my firm are Hipsters and they are easy to get on with and have a very professional attitude. Hipsters are generally clever, witty, individual and exercise good taste. I'd hire a hipster any day. My gut feeling is that they are mostly a sensible (always make it into the office), hardworking group who probably circa 2035 will be doing some good stuff and generally running things. Certainly they are the best of the Millennial generation, the bulk of the rest of which are generally selfie obsessed, shallow and stupid. We will probably see our first Hipster Prime Minister sometime between 2030 and 2040.

So 'Hipsters' arent self obsessed, shallow and stupid ?

Growing a beard because a fashion magazine tells you to ? Stupid.

Standing in front of the mirror every morning to ensure your beard looks perfectly unkempt - when in reality its the opposite. Self obsessed.

As for shallow - where to begin.

HOLA4414

Never liked nightclubs - and (together with late night pubs) they are a pox on city centres - effectively making them no go areas after about 10pm.

Open air raves, however, were fun.

Hipsters are to be pitied - but probably no more daft that than the various tribes that came before them (eg goths, punks, new romantics etc). Suspect I'm now too old and cynical to really relate to the pretension of authenticity nowadays. I'd be very careful about hiring one for any role I was filling as some of those I've encountered have talked a good game, but have been utter barstewards in commercial dealings. Sharks in hipster clothing.

HOLA4415

A lot of the younger guys in the office would rather go to the gym on a Friday after work, than out for a few beers.

The cut off seems to be about 25, whether that is because it is the new place to meet birds or whether it is simply far cheaper and better for you to spend money on protein than booze, who knows.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I've always found it amusing the way discos got turned into 'clubs' (how can it be a club if you don't have to be a member?) or even 'superclubs' with some t*t achieving god-like status because he could rummage through a box of records while holding one muff to his ear. They only became popular because you could get booze after 11 and might 'get lucky', or because people were drugged into thinking there was something more to them than listening to crap music while jigging about a bit.

People do seem happy to spend £100 however to stand in a field and watch someone prance around on a stage 500 yards away while simulating sex and miming to some three-chord pop song so perhaps the money's just moved somewhere else.

HOLA4418

Used to go to many different clubs in North London and surrounding areas......no point or need in drinking the music was the high, was quite comical at the end of the night when many people talked a load of nonsense and with a slur.....recall many clubs then let the girls in for free.....cheap night out. ;)

HOLA4419

Never liked clubs anyway, never saw any appeal in it. I've only ever been in a couple (when I was out with people and was already pretty drunk) and gave up and left fairly quickly. Mind you I suspect they were pretty crap clubs even by club standards.

Give me a decent pub any time though. They may be closing but there are still plenty around (is it mostly the rubbish ones that have closed?)

HOLA4420

Can honestly say i don't think i've ever had fun in any clubs in the UK but that's mostly down to my personality. No matter how much i tried during my late teens and twenties I just couldn't force myself to enjoy myself regardless of how drunk i got.

I can't dance for shit and everytime i joined in with my mates doing these repetetive cheesy moves I would try and laugh and smile along and pretend i was having a good time and feeling the beat of whatever shite they would be blasting out.

Mostly thouugh i would be dancing along with my own song playing in my head that sounded a little like this "I'm a twit Im a twit and I'm dancing like a twit!"

Never could find a way to be like everyone else and have fun and just be one of the lads, lucky for me I found a wife who didn't hold my dislike of clubbing it up as a deal breaker.

HOLA4421

when i was uni i tried to fit in with night clubs with rest of students. I just did not get it.

Stood outside in cold waiting to get in

pay to get in

pay to hang your coat

hastle of getting served

cost of getting server

music so loud it distored

Having to cope with druggies and drunks.

Cost of taxi home.

I was by no means a well student, manging on my grant and i just found things to do that where less hastle and cheaper. I dont regret going to them, just was not my think. As previous poster have said there are now coffee bars and eating out is far more popular now. also as post have siad, the kids today have less changes of getting jobs and student debt is horrific i would never have dreat of going to uni now.

Maybe the people on this forum are also more sensible with money they some who live for the moment

HOLA4422

Can honestly say i don't think i've ever had fun in any clubs in the UK but that's mostly down to my personality. No matter how much i tried during my late teens and twenties I just couldn't force myself to enjoy myself regardless of how drunk i got.

I can't dance for shit and everytime i joined in with my mates doing these repetetive cheesy moves I would try and laugh and smile along and pretend i was having a good time and feeling the beat of whatever shite they would be blasting out.

Mostly thouugh i would be dancing along with my own song playing in my head that sounded a little like this "I'm a twit Im a twit and I'm dancing like a twit!"

Never could find a way to be like everyone else and have fun and just be one of the lads, lucky for me I found a wife who didn't hold my dislike of clubbing it up as a deal breaker.

If you actually stop and watch the people, nor can about 95% of the people in there!

Personally, I think the opening hours thing is the biggest indivdual thing. 'Superpubs' (ie lloyds bars, yates) usually have a dance floor, music and are now open to 3 or 4. They are always heaving on a friday or saturday night.

Their drinks are reasonably priced.

You don't have to pay or (usually) que to get in

The staff are trained up (usually) and are many so you dont spend hours waiting for a drink.

The toilets are cleaned and free of nigerians witholding the toilet paper and blocking the sinks unless you hand them a quid

You can come and go all night long if you want to nip out for a minute.

So i think people still get a 'clubbing experience', just not in a club.

HOLA4423

when i was uni i tried to fit in with night clubs with rest of students. I just did not get it.

Stood outside in cold waiting to get in

pay to get in

pay to hang your coat

hastle of getting served

cost of getting server

music so loud it distored

Having to cope with druggies and drunks.

Cost of taxi home.

I was by no means a well student, manging on my grant and i just found things to do that where less hastle and cheaper. I dont regret going to them, just was not my think. As previous poster have said there are now coffee bars and eating out is far more popular now. also as post have siad, the kids today have less changes of getting jobs and student debt is horrific i would never have dreat of going to uni now.

Maybe the people on this forum are also more sensible with money they some who live for the moment

Yep, I remember going to one club with a mate who recommended it. Long wait, tenner to get in. He took a minute to glance around the club to evaluate the talent and decided he wanted to leave. I've bought some right crap in the past - but that just about counts for the worst tenner ever spent.

HOLA4424

I've always found it amusing the way discos got turned into 'clubs' (how can it be a club if you don't have to be a member?) or even 'superclubs' with some t*t achieving god-like status because he could rummage through a box of records while holding one muff to his ear. They only became popular because you could get booze after 11 and might 'get lucky', or because people were drugged into thinking there was something more to them than listening to crap music while jigging about a bit.

People do seem happy to spend £100 however to stand in a field and watch someone prance around on a stage 500 yards away while simulating sex and miming to some three-chord pop song so perhaps the money's just moved somewhere else.

As I say, I think this is the biggest single thing. I remember there used a be a sort of pilgrimage where people would shuffle, en masse, from the pubs to the clubs at pub closing time. They simply don't need to do that now...can stay in the pubs all night. Lets face it, when you're already half ratted, you dont really want to get up, walk half a mile down the road in wind and rain, stand outside shivering for half an hour to hand over a tenner to get into a club, when you could still be in the pub drinking away.

HOLA4425

Yep, I remember going to one club with a mate who recommended it. Long wait, tenner to get in. He took a minute to glance around the club to evaluate the talent and decided he wanted to leave. I've bought some right crap in the past - but that just about counts for the worst tenner ever spent.

I think the only way for non-niche clubs to survive is out do the pubs on prices. That would seem difficult, but i recall during my student days midweek they'd manage to have free entry and drinks for a quid...must be doable....if you get the numbers of people in.

A club around here, in the middle of the credit crunch, slowly emptied between 2006-2008...then they halved their prices in 2009, everyone came back, most drinks were down to 2 quid instead of 4 or 4.50. Over the next couple of years they stuck their prices up and no one went anymore. Now they are closed.

Archived