House Price Crash Forum
hp72

Call For Rural House Price Cap

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/countryside/11793689/Price-of-countryside-homes-could-be-capped-to-boost-local-access-to-property-market.html

Telegraph article.

Potential house price caps in the countryside?

What about the free market?

What about urban price caps?

Smells odd to me.

What about London prices for London residents, London workers......beyond a joke.

Anyway I would suspect it is London prices are helping to push up the prices in other areas, the ripple effect....treat the cause not the symptom. ;)

Well with urban house prices being so crazy (and rural not so far behind) and the UK likely ever more shanty and congested in some areas - probably moving towards 10 plus or so to a room likely they recognise that there could soon be a mass movement back to farming and living in barns.

There's no reason why the shantys should always be in the towns and cities it's probably easier for shanty livers to build them in the countryside and around existing barns to start with where they could initially store food etc. People not used to all the UK rules and regulations and general bureaucracy will likely see all the empty second houses as well.

Edited by billybong

Well with urban house prices being so crazy (and rural not so far behind) and likely ever more shanty and congested in some areas - probably moving towards 10 plus or so to a room likely they recognise that there could soon be a mass movement back to farming and living in barns.

There is already a major shift happening.....money being taken out of the capital and being spent in new areas...money being fat pensions and disposable money from sale of London property.....plenty of business opportunities out there.....follow the money. ;)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/countryside/11793689/Price-of-countryside-homes-could-be-capped-to-boost-local-access-to-property-market.html

Telegraph article.

Potential house price caps in the countryside?

What about the free market?

What about urban price caps?

Smells odd to me.

is this the telegraph proposing free markets for the plebs, but not for the children of its home counties home owning spiv speculating BTLr boomer readers?

Call for all of England outside of london to be classed as Rural.

It's not just rural area's the London mega bubble is destroying, it's the whole of the South of England

Well rather than allocation on price some kind of central planning operation. Any better ? Restrictions on building on greenbelt land.

I thought how it worked was labour was migrant (going back centuries) and the people stayed in shacks. Rich and well to do playing cricket in the village

These schemes pop up and get abandoned when they find out they are illegal under EU rules, as they discriminate against "outsiders".

I've read on here before about areas of the UK where you can only buy a house if you already live or work there though.

Why don't the gubbermint/council just slap loads of rural houses with agricultural ties? In my neck of the woods (rural Kent) I've seen a tiny handful of these, always vastly cheaper than others.

Same in Cornwall...

Effrybody from london seems ter 'ave sold their council flat and 're movin' daahhhn 'ere ter bee 'ive the bloody Porridge Knife of luxury, while their saucepan lids chore everythin' not nailed daahhhn!

I've read on here before about areas of the UK where you can only buy a house if you already live or work there though.

There is a self build land allocation near us (hants/surrey/sussex borders) where you have to have a local Thai to be able to build a house. There is a covenant that you can only sell it to someone with a local Thai.

I would love the chance to be able to build a house in the south of England.

I would also suggest there is a restrictive covenant that prevents anyone from selling for more than cost plus inflation for 10 years.

Pretty sure I've heard about similar things in other EU countries as well. If you don't have a job in a particular area you can't settle there or something.