House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Contactless Cards - Warning

Paying for a few pints in the pub yesterday. Barmaid pointed this out to me. Unlike when paying by 'normal' card - the receipt actually prints off your full card number AND your expiry date.

Now it doesn't show your 3 digit security code - but in a boozer ? Easy enough for a dodgy barman/burd to glance at your card - keep your receipt - and then have all your details to buy stuff online before you realise it.

Paying for a few pints in the pub yesterday. Barmaid pointed this out to me. Unlike when paying by 'normal' card - the receipt actually prints off your full card number AND your expiry date.

Now it doesn't show your 3 digit security code - but in a boozer ? Easy enough for a dodgy barman/burd to glance at your card - keep your receipt - and then have all your details to buy stuff online before you realise it.

Why don't you take a wad of cash held together with a rubber band, like most "dodgy geezers" ?

Just with contactless cards?

We popped into the bank and asked them to send us cards that didn't have the contactless bit on. So we now have contactless-less cards.

So, still no reason not to just stick with cash. These things really are a solution looking for a problem, only lapped up by idiots who think everything must be the newest method possible.

I do find it quite handy to be fair, But pretty shocked by this security blumder - surprised its not made it into the news yet, Maybe keeping it quiet on purpose...

It's the end of Lifeboats I tells ya.

Indeed. Someone needs to invent a contactless payment charity box.

Pleasant but no beauty Queen :D

That should not stop YOU. Pleasant is actually pretty good.

I think your street address and postcode numbers make up part of the on-line checks for customer not present transactions.

It also verifies that goods are being delivered to the card holders address, although some firms (e buyer is one) will allow you to ship goods to a third address, although the postcode check is still made. In the event of someone living in say Home Cottage Anywhere street the postcode numbers only are checked.

Not foolproof but rudimentary checks are built in.....

Easy wrap them all up in tinfoil....spend less then and others will find it harder to steal from you. ;)

TInfoil is the HPC Way. Worship the foil. :unsure:

I think your street address and postcode numbers make up part of the on-line checks for customer not present transactions.

It also verifies that goods are being delivered to the card holders address, although some firms (e buyer is one) will allow you to ship goods to a third address, although the postcode check is still made. In the event of someone living in say Home Cottage Anywhere street the postcode numbers only are checked.

Not foolproof but rudimentary checks are built in.....

Yes - however any system that gives away more personal details then it should - is faulty. It cant have been designed with that in mind, Must be a mistake, Full card details were removed from receipts about 15 years ago !!!

It's the end of Lifeboats I tells ya.

No chance Mr airmail - the RNLI are awash with cash reserves and the vast majority of their yearly income comes from bequests rather than chuggers.

They could run the show for at least three years without a single penny coming in.

Have a Google or two and you can easily read their accounts, and find many sites criticising this aspect of their charitable status.

Go on, have a poke around the internet - you'll see I'm right...

XYY

I don't use any card in pubs. I don't want my drinking habits ot lots of databases.

Why not pretend you have left your wallet at home, and get your mates to buy the rounds, like my tightwad mate from Geordieland?

Easy wrap them all up in tinfoil....spend less then and others will find it harder to steal from you. ;)

As I have no intention of ever using contactless I have done this.

Just with contactless cards?

We popped into the bank and asked them to send us cards that didn't have the contactless bit on. So we now have contactless-less cards.

And will do this with a couple of phone calls tomorrow; I see people noticing the foil.

As I have no intention of ever using contactless I have done this.

And will do this with a couple of phone calls tomorrow; I see people noticing the foil.

To deflect people from your tinfoilhattery,tell them they are/were coke wraps.

So, still no reason not to just stick with cash. These things really are a solution looking for a problem, only lapped up by idiots who think everything must be the newest method possible.

I'll go with that.

Do you mean your receipt or their copy.

I take card payments and my merchant receipt shows the customers full card number and expiry. The customers copy doesn't.

Do you mean your receipt or their copy.

I take card payments and my merchant receipt shows the customers full card number and expiry. The customers copy doesn't.

I didn't realise you worked in the sex industry! :wacko: