House Price Crash Forum

Over Rated Actors

HOLA441

There are certain supposedly decent actors that star in potentially decent films, but who always make the film unwatchable.

E.g

Ewan McGregor - great in trainspotting and shallow grave ... Nothing decent since then.

Jonny depp

Jude law (he ruined AI for me!)

Steve martin

I'm not talking about mainstream action film actors who generally just need to look tough and pretty.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Nicholas Cage - what is all the fuss about ?

Kevin Spacey - glad he found an alternative career

Clint Eastwood - in anything he both acts and directs

Colin Firth - very hit and miss, but I think that is because he is affected by the Michael Caine approach - take any role that comes along

HOLA444

Clint Eastwood.

I tried to watch a few of his westerns... Does seem like plays himself and there's no variation in his character... Dull!

HOLA445

Nicholas Cage - what is all the fuss about ?

Kevin Spacey - glad he found an alternative career

Clint Eastwood - in anything he both acts and directs

Colin Firth - very hit and miss, but I think that is because he is affected by the Michale Caine approach - take any role that comes along

+1 to all of those... I like KS ... What's his new career?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

There are certain supposedly decent actors that star in potentially decent films, but who make the film unwatchable.

E.g

Ewan McGregor - great in trainspotting and shallow grave ... Nothing decent since then.

Jonny depp

Jude law

Steve martin

I'm not talking about mainstream action film actors who generally just need to look tough and pretty.

Interesting you don't like Jonny Depp, I thought he did some pretty good characters (albeit a bit samey).

For me it would probably be Dwayne Johnson ("The Rock") or generally any other ex-wrestler. Probably one of the few actors who would put me off watching a film before even seeing the trailer.

Oh, and Tom Hanks.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

In the UK there is nothing worse than the deification of a handful of actors and actresses. There's a certain amount of luck with getting to the top and you just know there is a far better B list that didn't quite make it and doesn't get the major parts.

Really don't care much for the trinity of power in UK women's acting.....Dench, Smith and Mirren. And it gets worse with the next generation...Knightly and Bonham Carter.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Richard E Grant seems to be living off the goodwill of one film from 30 years ago.

Various identikit stage school drones:

Jude Law

Orlando Bloom

Keira Knightly

Robert Pattison

Hugh Grant

Kate Beckinsale

Emma Watson

Plus all the tedious posh actors you get in every single costume drama.

HOLA4413

Really don't care much for the trinity of power in UK women's acting.....Dench, Smith and Mirren. And it gets worse with the next generation...Knightly and Bonham Carter.

Again I like or tolerate them, but I blame the cast direction and lack of really good scripts or roles for that sort of thing developing, with the familiar set of faces going round and round and round.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Most actors. it is amazing that the for such a popular and well paid career, many practitioners seem fairly average.

Same applies to every thing about filmmaking. Surely the best minds of Hollywood should be able to come up with something better than all this tosh?

And books. Everyone wants to be an author, but there are very few really good books.

It must just be harder than it looks.

I can't stand the sight (nor sound) of Hugh Grant. A backpfeifengesicht if there ever was one.

I google imaged that, and he didn't come up. Could be completely wrong, but Hugh Grant always semed like someone who had natural talent, but couldn't be bothered to do the work.

HOLA4416

Anthony Hopkins

Was a great actor back in the 1970s but now just dishes up plate after plate of ham

His gurning pantomime Hannibal Lecter just makes me laugh. Surprised there is not someone shouting "He is behind you" when he appears in a scene

Overacting in films appears to be a terrible Celtic vice where good Welsh and Irish actors can not restrain themselves on camera, particularly after they make it big in Hollywood

HOLA4417

Some actors seem "overused", when perhaps it would be good to see a new face. :huh:

I can't agree that any of these actors are "bad" by any means, but they seem to have a bit of a monopoly.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Does The Overhyped Fry count as an actor?

I think he's classified as a national treasure rather than an actor.

He seems to have got more pompous and desperate for attention as Hugh Laurie has become more successful. He makes QI unwatchable by talking over everyone with the answer two seconds after asking the question.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Best actors are not always the lead stars.

How many Hollywood 'greats' have had their films and careers propped up by competent and ever reliable supporting players such as Karl Malden

Is that the one with the impressive nose from the "Streets of San Francisco"?

He popped up in every old war film.

HOLA4424

Re Steppenpig's comment that it must be harder than it looks, the answer is yes it is.

When authors want minor cameos in films it can take twenty takes before there's something usable.

If you watch the extras in pub scenes in the soaps they look mostly unnatural and awkward, not like people in a pub at all.

To be even a half-decent actor is a real talent, I don't think I could do it.

I will also go with Tom Hanks as being a very average actor who got very lucky.

I will raise the tone of the thread however by chucking in a couple of great ones: Michael Sheen and Andy Serkis.

HOLA4425

Archived