House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Donald Trump

http://www.thealphapages.com/content/trump-change-is-donald-trump-broke

"Editor's Note: Alpha Pages contributor Doug Litowitz raises a speculative contrarian position on Donald Trump's exact worth, based on what was released to the FEC. The bottom line is that no one knows Trump's net worth, but the speculation usually starts in the billions. Doug Litowitz explores the opposite possibility, namely that Trump is, in relative terms, broke. This is solely his speculation and is not meant as a factual statement but a possibility that has been ignored in the mainstream press."

I’ve just slogged through all ninety-two pages of Donald Trump’s financial disclosure submission to the Federal Election Commission, and I can’t make heads or tails of it.

I cannot tell how much Trump is worth, if anything. His empire, if he has one, is as mysterious as his haircut, and as impervious as his skyscraper in Chicago - a gigantic phallic mirror named after himself.

In terms of real, lasting assets - is Donald Trump worth roughly $10 billion?

The mainstream press erred horrendously by taking seriously Trump’s disclosure to the FEC, by asking reporters to sit down with the document and try to understand it on its own terms, so to speak. This approach yielded nothing but exhaustion and bewilderment. No one dared speculate that Trump’s purpose in disclosing so much was to disclose so little. It was a 52-Card Pickup, a maze of trees without a forest. The assets - some as small as the single-digit thousands - pile up like obsessive compulsive do-dads in the claustrophobic home of a hoarder. The range of projects goes beyond greed and passes into desperation. High rise buildings and golf courses are one thing, but the list of assets quickly degrades into obscure wineries, Israeli vodka and energy drinks, a mattress and clothing line, television shows, a pension from the screen actors guild, bottled water, book royalties, speaking gigs, and endless inchoate and impossible to value ‘marks’ (i.e. trademarks) and positions in partnerships that have his own name.

This is why the New York Times threw up its hands and proclaimed with cool intrigue that Trump’s income and wealth were “hard to pinpoint.”

The Wall Street Journal punted, saying tautologically that Trump’s disclosures contain disclosures totaling at least $1.5 billion, but conceding that the actual numbers are not known.

An interesting article, does Trump have any real wealth? Would America elect him to be President, so far it would appear the choice is him or Hillary although there's a long way to go with the nominations yet.

http://www.thealphapages.com/content/trump-change-is-donald-trump-broke

An interesting article, does Trump have any real wealth? Would America elect him to be President, so far it would appear the choice is him or Hillary although there's a long way to go with the nominations yet.

I'm bet it's mostly a publicity-generated bubble. And the hair...

Is he able toupée his bills?

Oddly enough, I was thinking such a wealthy man could afford a better wig, rather than one that looks like it should be cleaning floors. :blink:

Yeah whatever's up with his hair, it's not a wig, as you can get far more convincing ones these days.

I watched some of his responses in the republican leadership debate and I have to say he's making politics more entertaining than it has been in years.

Oddly enough, I was thinking such a wealthy man could afford a better wig, rather than one that looks like it should be cleaning floors. :blink:

I always assumed some exotic endangered furry mammal species must have taken up residence on his head which could not be disturbed during the breeding season. Perhaps he keeps it there so people will be so fascinated by what is on top of his head that they won't listen to what he is saying.

TRUMP: WHAT'S THE DEAL?

https://vimeo.com/134895538

link: --vimeo.com/134895538

This 1988 TV documentary was pulled from the airwaves by Trumps lawyers, it's up on Vimeo now but who knows for how long

It starts quite slowly, (I would skip the first 20 minutes or so) but once you get into the details it is quite revealing of his business approach, I didn't realise he was so heavily into property.

Carly Fiorina is the one to watch.

Now the woman who destroyed HP can destroy America, too...

There are no good candidates, because the people who buy the candidates don't want one. Trump would at least be amusing.

Carly Fiorina is the one to watch.

Screwed Compaq, screwed HP and now going to screw the USA.

Her main business achievement appears to have been to halve Hewlett-Packard's share price.

They might be better off with Trump.

Self made billionaire.

Oh wait - yet another one - daddy gifted him a skyscraper to build at age 20.

Screwed Compaq, screwed HP and now going to screw the USA.

Her main business achievement appears to have been to halve Hewlett-Packard's share price.

They might be better off with Trump.

That's a cheap shot. She was CEO during the dot com crash. All tech companies' stock prices collapsed.

Does he do anything else?

His Dad was.

For Donald, the correct sentence would be: 'Does he do anything?'

Trump's a lazy rich kid, except hes not really rich anymore.

That's a cheap shot. She was CEO during the dot com crash. All tech companies' stock prices collapsed.

Yeah right.

Tell that to all the staff who got riffed on her watch and the shareholders who lost a shed load of money. She is a little charmer who lured staff into accepting pay cuts to prevent redundancies and then carried out one of the biggest layoffs in U.S. corporate history sacking 30000 staff.

And she was dumb enough to go ahead with the Compaq merger after the tech sector had crashed defying opposition from within her own board.

Anyway the nadir of HPs share price was February 2005 just before Fiorina resigned at which time the NASDAQ was down by 26 % but HP shares were down 50%. Fiorinas main skill as CEO therefore appeared to be an ability to tank her shareholders stock valuations faster and farther than the competition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

Definitely near the top of the list as worst Tech CEOs of all time though Dick Brown at EDS would run her close for the prize as biggest destroyer of shareholder value.

I doubt she will be hoovering up the votes of HP workers either past or present.

If elected her foreign policy will doubtless be to merge the U.S. with Canada and then to sack half the population of both countries.

HP is a hardware company not a dot com startup, I think the stock market crash had very little to do with HP's decline, just a classic case of clueless management.

Fiorina may be a smart cookie in some areas, but in the case of HP she was doing the wrong things very efficiently.

Fiorina may be a smart cookie in some areas

[citation needed]

Either way, if she stands for President, she's lost pretty much all the tech worker vote. Anyone who's suggesting she should be nominated has no idea how much bitter hatred they have for her.

Repubs are fixated with the notion that "business" people will make a good president.

So somehow if you can flog plastic printers or use other people's money to vicariously build some office blocks you must be able to run the western world.

Very odd.

That said - Trump doesn't appear to believe in anything much apart from himself so he's perhaps less ideologically challenged than most republican "free market" looney toons.

Repubs are fixated with the notion that "business" people will make a good president.

So somehow if you can flog plastic printers or use other people's money to vicariously build some office blocks you must be able to run the western world.

Very odd.

That said - Trump doesn't appear to believe in anything much apart from himself so he's perhaps less ideologically challenged than most republican "free market" looney toons.

Agreed.

The last point is particularly pertinent

Trump is just a plain simple US corporate charlatan out for himself whereas the most of the others are neoliberal globalist charlatans pimping for the established order.

For example in the past Fiorina is on on record as being only too happy for the jobs of US workers to be handed to people on H1-B visas.

These candidates can try to pretend they are anti-establishment or offering 'change' but I am not sure anyone is buying that story any more

I think the polls are simply reflecting the fact that the US public now recognise that reality.

Agreed.

The last point is particularly pertinent

Trump is just a plain simple US corporate charlatan out for himself whereas the most of the others are neoliberal globalist charlatans pimping for the established order.

For example in the past Fiorina is on on record as being only too happy for the jobs of US workers to be handed to people on H1-B visas.

These candidates can try to pretend they are anti-establishment or offering 'change' but I am not sure anyone is buying that story any more

I think the polls are simply reflecting the fact that the US public now recognise that reality.

I would bet President Trumps top 10 concerns would be Donald Trump, doing everything for what's best for Donald Trump. However with the understandable reaction to the PR spin of the current political non-entities are real charlatan could win. Perhaps he might surprise everyone and be a good president, although as RK said the US has a crazy obession that being a rich businessman someone makes you ultimatley qualified to be President.