House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lid

No George Cole Thread?

There's a thread about some muppet off the apprentice but nothing for this veritable legend of British acting

Jesus

Anyway goodnight Comrade Dad, you will be sorely missed

News very quiet about it. Just found it. Maybe family didn't want to make too much of it.

I shall have to watch my St Trinians films now, in tribute, classic!

As Flash Harry, he bore a remarkable resemblance to my (non imaginary) uncle. :blink:

A true actor from the golden age of British Actor's.

Alistair Sim took him under him under his wing from an early age and tutored him...

The resemblance is purely co-incidental..... <_<

Alistair Sim took him under him under his wing from an early age and tutored him...

The resemblance is purely co-incidental..... <_<

I had never thought of it in that way. Bizarre, I have known about Alistair Sim taking him under his wing thing but never put any connection about them have similar looks. Yes, they do and their faces are quite elongated ovals aren't they?

I could see that Cole had similar mannerisms but assumed that he merely adopted them from his father-figure mentor.

Has anyone ever suggested that Sim was the father of Cole?

Edit:

Sim and his wife were keen to promote and encourage young acting talent. Among their protégés was George Cole, who lived with them on and off from 1940, when he was 15 years old, until 1952, when he married and bought a house nearby. Cole appeared with Sim in eight films from Cottage to Let (1941), to Blue Murder at St Trinian's (1957).[34]

An obituary of Naomi Sim noted in 1999: "Cole wasn't the only youngster to benefit from the Sims's generosity and love of youthful spirits. At least half a dozen others – 'our boys' as Naomi called them – mostly unhappy at home, have cherished memories of life at Forrigan, the welcoming woodland retreat built by the couple near Henley-on-Thames in 1947.

They also found time to have a child of their own, Merlith, who lives at Forrigan with her own family and next door to George Cole, who remained close to Naomi Sim to the end."

Always be a bias to what is current, I think the interest in Cilla Black was reawakened by the Sheridan Smith thing.

Fwiw Patrick Macnee (Steed) got one reply when he died, the 1960s were a long time ago I suppose.

Watched George Cole in a live studio recording of Comrade Dad. Nervous until shooting/recording started. Then a real pro. Goodbye George, and thanks for Arthur Daley.

Deserves another thread. I used to think Grange Hill to be rather good.

The article is one of the best things I've read in the Graun. I'll post a new thread to not pollute this tribute to George Cole further.

The article is one of the best things I've read in the Graun. I'll post a new thread to not pollute this tribute to George Cole further.

I met him sometime in the 90s while working in Farringdon when a secretary managed to get herself locked in the toilet.

A locksmith was called, who on arrival turned out to be Zammo - had a good chat with him. Top guy.