House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Five Guys

A lot of young people who work for me, I've talked to, have raved about this as the new Nandos. Being down with da kids, I thought I'd try it. Wanted not like it but have to admit it does have something.

Anyone else tried it?

BTW Five Guys is not like that lemon thing.

Never heard of it/them Although I had heard of lemonparty :/

Mostly a London thing, at the moment, but google suggests they're expanding to other big cities. US chain but can't say I've really noticed them over there.

Mostly a London thing, at the moment, but google suggests they're expanding to other big cities. US chain but can't say I've really noticed them over there.

What, lemonparty?

A lot of young people who work for me, I've talked to, have raved about this as the new Nandos. Being down with da kids, I thought I'd try it. Wanted not like it but have to admit it does have something.

Anyone else tried it?

BTW Five Guys is not like that lemon thing.

Nice enough but hugely expensive relative to McD or BK.

Never been but can't work out how it is anything like Nandos.. presumably just trendy styling that appeals to teenagers?

I hope it works, I like Nandos but don't go because it's always full of kids. If they bugger off to this burger place that would suit me down to the ground :)

Nice enough but hugely expensive relative to McD or BK.

Think my meal was £12 so, on paper I guess, 3 x a Big Mac meal. However, I went with small everything and it was a lot more substantial than a Big Mac meal so would have to adjust for that. They do the US free drink refills thing - not that I'd ever probably want an extra half gallon of fizzy pop.

I had it in America when I visited once. It worked out at around £8 for a burger and chips... as a Yorkshireman it was a struggle to resist the obligatory " 'ow much?! "

They also had a bamboozling array of toppings and sauces, in the end I did a bit of a Countdown "1 from the top and 4 from anywhere else".

It was enjoyable, but it's still a burger and chips. No idea how much they charge over here, probably even more.

Never been but can't work out how it is anything like Nandos.. presumably just trendy styling that appeals to teenagers?I hope it works, I like Nandos but don't go because it's always full of kids. If they bugger off to this burger place that would suit me down to the ground :)

Would think the self-serve drinks machines have big novelty value with teenagers. Styling is nothing like a traditional fast food chain even the bags are plain. Lots of little quirks like an Argos style order collection, bowls of monkey nuts, and a thing where they do, an obviously trained, theatrical thing of putting a cup of fries in the bag and chucking a load more in on top. All quite slick from a business point of view. Massive amount of staff labour involved but you can watch the whole process which is quite reassuring from a hygiene point of view.

I had it in America when I visited once. It worked out at around £8 for a burger and chips... as a Yorkshireman it was a struggle to resist the obligatory " 'ow much?! " They also had a bamboozling array of toppings and sauces, in the end I did a bit of a Countdown "1 from the top and 4 from anywhere else". It was enjoyable, but it's still a burger and chips. No idea how much they charge over here, probably even more.

To be honest I'm never sure the massive choice of options makes good business sense. I ended up asking the guy what most people have, to avoid holding up the queue of regulars who reel off their order, he said cheeseburger, so I went with that, but then still had to choose toppings so I panicked and essentially recreated a Big Mac - had no idea if mushrooms and burgers really even mix??

Think the toppings choice thing works in the US, in a New York Deli, or something but, doesn't translate well over here. I don't like Subway anyway but the choosing the contents hassle definitely puts you off if you were in a hurry.

I think the price might be an issue there were quite a few empty tables, at lunchtime in London. It is the holiday season but I can remember Wimpy bars, in London in the eighties, being like a potential Hillsborough disaster every lunchtime without fail.

To be honest I'm never sure the massive choice of options makes good business sense. I ended up asking the guy what most people have, to avoid holding up the queue of regulars who reel off their order, he said cheeseburger, so I went with that, but then still had to choose toppings so I panicked and essentially recreated a Big Mac - had no idea if mushrooms and burgers really even mix??

Think the toppings choice thing works in the US, in a New York Deli, or something but, doesn't translate well over here. I don't like Subway anyway but the choosing the contents hassle definitely puts you off if you were in a hurry.

I think the price might be an issue there were quite a few empty tables, at lunchtime in London. It is the holiday season but I can remember Wimpy bars, in London in the eighties, being like a potential Hillsborough disaster every lunchtime without fail.

don't want to contradict a fellow HPCer, but I thought the 5 guys business model was to have a simple high quality menu.

If you watch Diners Drives and Dives on the Food Network,(or something like that), there is a huge market opportunity in the UK for these kinds of places.

Triple burgers dripping with cheese, bacon etc. We also need fried chicken on fresh waffles.

don't want to contradict a fellow HPCer, but I thought the 5 guys business model was to have a simple high quality menu.

It's simple in that it's burgers (all well done juicy) fries and drinks but you do get bombarded with options when you order. You can't just say quarter pounder meal you have to even choose if you want lettuce or not. I guess people who don't like, for example, gherkins say they prefer this type of scenario. Then weirdly they don't give a crap about allergy sufferers as everything is done in peanut oil.

There's a place in philly that sends you to the back of the queue if you don't order instantly. And it's a big queue. Being English and indecisive it took me 3 goes to get my order in.

There's a place in philly that sends you to the back of the queue if you don't order instantly. And it's a big queue. Being English and indecisive it took me 3 goes to get my order in.

Sounds a bit like little caesar's pizza.. 5 seconds to choose, it takes you that long to work out which of the brightly coloured illustrations on the wall is a menu.

No doubt it'll take off here too. That and Carl's Jr..

Sounds a bit like little caesar's pizza.. 5 seconds to choose, it takes you that long to work out which of the brightly coloured illustrations on the wall is a menu.

No doubt it'll take off here too. That and Carl's Jr..

little caesar`s was in the uk 25-30 years ago also wendys had a go too twice actually , both shut down .

i tried gbk after the praise it got by a kiwi i know , absolute overpriced rubbish dry tasteless and very small portion.

actually spoons are selling some decent burgers now £7 for a pint and double burger and chips whats not to like.

little caesar`s was in the uk 25-30 years ago also wendys had a go too twice actually , both shut down .

actually spoons are selling some decent burgers now £7 for a pint and double burger and chips whats not to like.

No great loss with Little Caesars.. really wasn't impressed with the thing I tasted, base like cardboard.

I've admittedly not been in a Weatherspoons in years, but the last chain-pub burger I had was pretty dire.. even if it was cheap.

That said I'm not really a big fan of burgers at the best of times.. dry / greasy / internal-organy.. all show stoppers. Perhaps that's where Five Guys are getting it right if their product is half decent.