House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Longtermrenter

Rent Increase - Doing It By The Book As A Tenant

Our landlords are actually a trust. The tenancy agreement is mainly ******** with loads of unenforceable terms. There is no housing performance certificate and the deposit isnt protected. We are ok in this in that it gives us a bit of leeway - we can look at other properties and ask landlords for a reference and if they decide to evict us it is going to be very costly indeed for them.

Landlord is proposing a rent increase. Have already negotiate dthis rise down and we are close to agreement. we are now on a Statuatory Periodic Tenancy month by month. They want an annual increase but I am standing my ground and saying year by year negotiation. The rent is quite cheap but the property is old, timber frame, fairly poor condition etc. with other issues I can not mention here.

I know about Section 13's but don't really ant the landlord doing too much reading on the net in case he realises what a diabolical situation he is in.

Am I ok to just accept this rent increase or should I ask for some official paper work for changing the terms as suggested here:

http://www.mylawyer.co.uk/increasing-rent-england-wales-northern-ireland-a-A76046D76563/

I just don't want to put myself in a position where should we come to legal blows at a later date I am in a worse of position because of this.

Hopefully this never comes to this.

Any help, as usual, much appreciated.

It is Shorthold assured but now monthly statutory periodic tenancy. Tenancy agreement just says annual upward only rent reviews. they are now meetign in the middle but creatign caveats regarding future reviews etc and how they are calculated. original rent increase was not calculated on anything - plucked out of thin air.

If the LL has not protected your deposit - it is now required by law - I believe you can make quite a hefty claim. Please google deposit protection/tenants to find out more.

If the LL has not protected your deposit - it is now required by law - I believe you can make quite a hefty claim.

Yes, 3 x the value of the deposit!