House Price Crash Forum

The Big Saudi Arabia Thread

R K

HOLA441

To an extent, though I'd imagine Sky and BT are a little concerned at the march of internet TV boxes. Seems like everyone's using Kodi and cancelling their expensive contracts. Which could have a knock-on effect on future income for the Premier League.

Yes, on demand TV streaming is going to severely hurt the broadcast pay TV market as it basically allows people to buy content piecemeal, as they want it. BT are better positioned though as they already deliver their services via streaming - Sky are playing catchup with their technically impressive but extremely expensive 'Sky Q' box which is based around recording material from their broadcasts and then redistributing it via your home network or over the wider internet to your mobile device.

BT have a much cheaper option that is proven to work: Freeview PVR plus support for streaming clients and catchup TV. Separate apps for receiving the streams on mobile or Chromecast.

Not too sure that too many people are dropping paid Sky subs for illegal internet streaming though - it's just not reliable enough. My guess is that it is putting off new subscribers.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yes, on demand TV streaming is going to severely hurt the broadcast pay TV market as it basically allows people to buy content piecemeal, as they want it. BT are better positioned though as they already deliver their services via streaming - Sky are playing catchup with their technically impressive but extremely expensive 'Sky Q' box which is based around recording material from their broadcasts and then redistributing it via your home network or over the wider internet to your mobile device.

BT have a much cheaper option that is proven to work: Freeview PVR plus support for streaming clients and catchup TV. Separate apps for receiving the streams on mobile or Chromecast.

Not too sure that too many people are dropping paid Sky subs for illegal internet streaming though - it's just not reliable enough. My guess is that it is putting off new subscribers.

I think you'd be surprised. There seems to be a rash of low-cost subscription services which have appeared recently knocking out streams of sports and movies. The legality of which I have no idea whatsoever.

HOLA443

If me and my boomer friends (boo Hiss) are anything to go by woke up one morning and thought sod this £70+ a month for stuff I barely watch. Solution was freeview TV, Sky Now box and Amazon prime and netflix total less than £20. If there is a game I want to watch or say the golf either £6 for the day or £10 for the week.

Don't like illegal streaming and won't watch so works for us

HOLA444

Interesting that many people (presumably not employed by Sky) refer to certain Kodi add-ons as "illegal" when in fact no-one seems to know for sure whether it is or not.

Sure, I understand that hosting or broadcasting copyright material has stepped over the mark, but receiving such, and crucially, not creating a permanent copy / file seems pretty grey to me.

I would compare it to standing outside a cricket stadium in August listening to a Beyonce gig (insert other artists as appropriate) without having paid for a ticket. Is this illegal too??

There have been dodgy Sky boxes doing the rounds for decades now, and I have not heard of a single person being dragged through the courts for watching an "illegal" episode of The Sopranos. Surely with the might of the media outlets behind them, Sky (News International) would have been shouting any such cases from the rooftops in order to scare the bejesus out of anyone considering it...?

HOLA445

Interesting that many people (presumably not employed by Sky) refer to certain Kodi add-ons as "illegal" when in fact no-one seems to know for sure whether it is or not.

Sure, I understand that hosting or broadcasting copyright material has stepped over the mark, but receiving such, and crucially, not creating a permanent copy / file seems pretty grey to me.

I would compare it to standing outside a cricket stadium in August listening to a Beyonce gig (insert other artists as appropriate) without having paid for a ticket. Is this illegal too??

There have been dodgy Sky boxes doing the rounds for decades now, and I have not heard of a single person being dragged through the courts for watching an "illegal" episode of The Sopranos. Surely with the might of the media outlets behind them, Sky (News International) would have been shouting any such cases from the rooftops in order to scare the bejesus out of anyone considering it...?

The way I see it as long as subscription services can keep telling companies that they have x pairs of eyes each month then the advertising revenue (the real earner) keeps rolling in.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA446
Saudi plans a military industries holding firm - top prince

RIYADH Saudi Arabia plans to set up a holding company for military industries that would be fully owned by the government at first and listed later on the Saudi bourse, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said on television on Monday.

Saudi reforms will not require major spending - top prince

RIYADH/DUBAI Saudi Arabia's new "Vision 2030" reform plan will not require major spending but will involve restructuring, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said in a television interview, adding that spending on infrastructure projects would continue.

HOLA447
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA448

You'll never hear it from the ‪#‎Saudi‬ royals, but the country's economy is having a really really bad time.

Vision 2030: Why Saudi’s Financial Future is ‘Destined for Disgrace

In its analysis of the Saudi plan to diversify its economy and minimize its dependence on oil by 2030, the German daily Die Welt provided the reasons why it is “destined for disgrace”: the markets obviously haven’t taken it seriously, as opposed to how they took the news on the country’s credit rating downgrade and its foreign borrowings.

In late April, powerful young Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who oversees Saudi Arabia's economy, unveiled ambitious plans aimed at ending the kingdom's addiction to oil and transforming it into a global investment power by 2030.

According to “Vision 2030” plan, the kingdom vows to raise the capital of its public investment fund to 7 trillion riyals ($2 trillion) from 600 billion riyals ($160 billion), including non-oil revenue rising to 600 billion riyals ($160 billion) by 2020 and 1 trillion riyals ($267 billion) by 2030 from 163.5 billion riyals ($43.6 billion) last year.

By generating non-oil revenues the plan implies raising fees and tariffs on public services, gradually expanding the tax base (including through the introduction of a value added tax), and raising more income from the growing number of visitors to the kingdom. The world's top oil exporter also expects state oil company Saudi Aramco to be valued at more than $2 trillion ahead of the sale of less than 5 percent of it through an initial public offering (IPO).

However the German daily newspaper Die Welt provided its own analysis of why the plan is “destined for disgrace.”

Read more.....

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The West are hoping that the Saudi's will buy up our debts.

Then they will confiscate it under a new anti terrorist law.

This is why Governments stay quiet, they are laying a trap.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Indeed

I wonder what's going to happen when all those Saudi Arabian males who've only studied Islamic studies at university find themselves unemployable, totally skint and unable to pay for ukrainian whores anymore. A lot of bored repressed angry young men who can't drink their sorrows away - not good

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA4422

Indeed

I wonder what's going to happen when all those Saudi Arabian males who've only studied Islamic studies at university find themselves unemployable, totally skint and unable to pay for ukrainian whores anymore. A lot of bored repressed angry young men who can't drink their sorrows away - not good

You only need to look at the rest of the region to figure that one out.

Ironically, Saudi are also geographically perfectly placed to move into a leadership position on solar, too.

Will they though?

HOLA4423

Indeed

Its alleged they prefer the company of men. I think it will be the end of radical Islam as these nations will no longer have the endless billions to sponsor it.

Edited by Crumbless

HOLA4424

You only need to look at the rest of the region to figure that one out.

Ironically, Saudi are also geographically perfectly placed to move into a leadership position on solar, too.

Will they though?

Seems so. The 32 yr old who apparently is now running the country has a plan for Saudi to become the main provider of power to Europe via solar power and a big cable.

In other words, they still wish to control us and have our leaders sucking up to them?

HOLA4425

Seems so. The 32 yr old who apparently is now running the country has a plan for Saudi to become the main provider of power to Europe via solar power and a big cable.

In other words, they still wish to control us and have our leaders sucking up to them?

Sounds like a good plan, the only draw back is that the sun does actually shine on Europe.