House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

Could It Cause Me To Lose A Property Bidding War?

Can an estate agent snub me if I turn down their financial advice

Recently, I offered £240,000 on a home up for sale for £250,000. There was a small bidding war before I was told by the estate agent someone had bid the asking price.

I then too put in a bid at the asking price, and informed him once more that I'm a first-time buyer and so have no onward chain. I'm ready to move as soon as completion can happen.

But the estate agent once again asked me on the phone whether I needed financial help, despite what I told him previously and that I have a mortgage in principal already agreed.

He then told me the other bidder was taking financial advice with the firm. I don't understand why he would tell me that and it felt like a thinly veiled threat.

Shortly after, I was told the rival bid had been accepted – and wasn't given a reason why. Would I be better accepting financial advice from agents in order to give me a more favourable position when bidding?

Estate agency make their own rules.

I've often thought of saying I want to rent a place out or refit and resell it...I have no intention of doing either but figure the estate agent figures its more potential contracts for them down the road if I do either.

Like buying a car.....they try and work on your emotions, saying something like you will regret it, we have others very interested, this colour/speck or whatever rarely comes on the market.....everybody wants it, you would be a fool to miss out....yeah, yeah, yeah......if it is so good....why don't you buy it? ;)

always make hints that you will use their financial advice, conveyancing, and mortgage brokers. They WILL turn you down for someone else who offers a near figure if they think they aren't going to get their commission.

Then just wait for the offer to be accepted in writing and tell them you don't need any of their services.