House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

What Is This Garden Creature?

Dug this up at a mate's place. Hopefully it's still OK, we put it back but had taken up a load of plants.

It's not a baby slow worm, Google image search reveals. (This was my first thought)

resized.jpg

post-30275-0-64447000-1438887168_thumb.jpg

It's some sort of beetle grub.

The wife says it is a grub or larvae of a moth or dragon fly.

moths larvae live up trees, and dragonfly babies live in water, so I think not.

I'll bet there's one insect expert here. After all this is HPC OT, where everything is known. :blink:

The entire wisdom of the Universe, seen through frosted "bathroom glass". :unsure:

Dug this up at a mate's place. Hopefully it's still OK, we put it back but had taken up a load of plants.

It's not a baby slow worm, Google image search reveals. (This was my first thought)

What did it taste like?

Hawk moth larva?

Edit: they do snake impressions

Looks like the one! I did actually say to him it looked like a cross between a snake and a caterpillar!

Cranefly larvae. Possibly.

My thoughts exactly.. Google leatherjacket larvae.

edit.. actually, looking at the picture properly I'm going to agree with the people who said hawk moth larvae.

edit.. actually, looking at the picture properly I'm going to agree with the people who said hawk moth larvae.

It's the right size and it's got the markings

There! I would have known we had some insectologists here. I didn't get a very good Biology O Level.

Hawk moths are fascinating things but can scare the heck out of you if you come across one sat on a plant leaf or on the kitchen window.

Don't they all turn into moths on a certain full Moon each summer - probably the one coming up this month?

I'll bet there's one insect expert here. After all this is HPC OT, where everything is known. :blink:

The entire wisdom of the Universe, seen through frosted "bathroom glass". :unsure:

Yeah. The frosted glass is my main problem in life. ?

Hawk moth larva?

Edit: they do snake impressions

Yes, looks like it to me. I dug one up in the garden once, it gave me quite a turn I tell you.

Is it this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?chafer_grubs

The cockchafer larvae spends three years eating grass roots and then turns into a big bug also known as the May bug - flies around for three days and then dies.

My garden is full of them!

Edit: just clicked on the OP image - it's not a cockchafer :-)

Is it this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?chafer_grubs

The cockchafer larvae spends three years eating grass roots and then turns into a big bug also known as the May bug - flies around for three days and then dies.

My garden is full of them!

Edit: just clicked on the OP image - it's not a cockchafer :-)

"Cockchafer" is a smashing brand name for uncomfortable underwear! :wacko:

I guessed what this was going to be before I read the thread! It's a rather grubby-looking Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar.There used to be a bit of rough ground opposite my parents' house which had Rose Bay Willow Herb growing on it; the caterpillars love this stuff.They also like Fuschias too,according to Wiki.(We took one to Primary school once,and scared the teacher,who thought it was a snake.)

I guessed what this was going to be before I read the thread! It's a rather grubby-looking Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar.There used to be a bit of rough ground opposite my parents' house which had Rose Bay Willow Herb growing on it; the caterpillars love this stuff.They also like Fuschias too,according to Wiki.(We took one to Primary school once,and scared the teacher,who thought it was a snake.)

Is the right answer. I see a lot of them around these parts.