House Price Crash Forum
SE10

Tube Drivers Want Pay Linked To The Cost Of Housing

Our pay settlement is also part of this dispute. We want a flat-rate increase for staff that keeps pace with increasing living costs, such as rent and house prices.

http://www.cityam.com/221710/august-2015-tfl-tube-strike-union-rmt-wants-pay-rises-line-house-price-growth

I wonder if that approach would work in my job...

Edited by SE10

Not sure I agree with the specifics but anything that highlights the cost of living (ie. the cost of accommodation) is good.

+1

And well stated, the cost of living really is dominated by the cost of housing now.

The UK is one sick country

Be careful what you wish for.......

Please, please make this happen - RMT/ASLEF wages halve as house prices halve. It'd turn London and the South East true blue Tory forever, :lol: .

(You could probably put up a clown and get it elected mayor.... What do you mean they already did that?)

I read somewhere that newlu qualified doctors get paid less than tube drivers.

This country is a joke.

I don't think that is a bad thing.

A newly qualified Dr has the opportunity to massively grow her income as she progresses her career. And, of course, to take the education that she gets as she progresses to practice outside her salaried job too.

A tube driver doesn't have that opportunity. Other than annual 'cost of living' increments and a bit of overtime, that's her lot.

Some way to go before they catch up with the 35% brokered by the NUM in 1975 but the stagflationary parallels are evident.

Edited by zugzwang

Our pay settlement is also part of this dispute. We want a flat-rate increase for staff that keeps pace with increasing living costs, such as rent and house prices.

http://www.cityam.com/221710/august-2015-tfl-tube-strike-union-rmt-wants-pay-rises-line-house-price-growth

I wonder if that approach would work in my job...

i see OSBO doing a sneaky one here.

agrees to link drivers pay in with land registry index

..6 months later does the tax grab on BTL,along with IR rise, and 24 months out the drivers have had a 25% haircut.

..but that is what they agreed to!

Nasty unions daring to take on the bubble blowers. Tut tut.

Sure a sign of top? As a few have suggested, let's link it and let it work both ways.

Good for them. Everyone should be pushing for wages that actually pay for the cost of housing.

If that makes the UK uncompetitive then that's the UK's problem.

There you go, the recipe for hyperinflation in one sentence.

If you have one variable chasing the other variable, we will have exponential runaway

Ambulance drivers are taking a different approach and just leaving.

Labour mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, who compiled the figures, warned that the high rate of turnover of ambulance service staff was partly a result of the high cost of housing in London.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ambulance-workers-quitting-their-jobs-because-living-in-london-is-too-expensive-10434567.html

TBH, ive thought of linking the minimum wages to HPI...it pretty much tracks money supply.

Always seemed a good way to illustrate to the public how much of their purchasing power is stolen via banks and the treasury.

I wonder what their pay settlement will be when the tube trains are inevitably automated?

Thats impossible though - as soon as they try to put in any infrastructure for that they will be out on strike! Presumably putting in the infrastructure would take many months, if not years?