House Price Crash Forum

Linkedin - Getting As 'look At Me' As Facebook And Twitter ?

ccc

HOLA441

Something popped up on my LInkedin last week. It was some humerous story/blog from a very attractive burd about blokes using Linkedin as some sort of dating site. Which in itself on first reading was rather amusing. (If you want an example of how this is true just find a very attractive girl in your connections - then look at the bottom to see the 'other people also viewed' section. Its an eye opener. This wasnt part of the blog btw but I had already noticed it myself)

Anyway - this blog/Linkedin comment from this girl got loads of fawning comments. Mainly from blokes - which I personally found as bad as blokes sending random messages - as per the blog itself.

I made a few comments around certain things - nothing offensive - but just saying that however poorly written - these blokes are just trying to give a compliment - even if its a very poor and unwanted one. Got lots of responses from mainly women - plus a few guys - telling me this isnt the case and girls dont appreciate this and blah blah blah.

Which is fine enough but they were going seriously over the top.

I then noticed that in the original blog - this burd who wrote it stated she was 'average at best'.

Now another bloke noticed this too and called her out on it. I decided to also. She came back with a few charming nice reples. Then before you know it - wham - posts deleted !!

I then decided to push it and - very politely - questioned if this whole blog was just a nice bit of marketing ? Considering she did work in that field. Again - wham - deleted !!!

The final comment I bothered with was another burd who came on to comment that a bloke she never knew sent her a message saying 'You have a nice smile'. I pointed out that this was getting ridiculous and trying to act like any of this was a hardship was just taking the piss. Again - wham - deleted !!

All she has left in there now on her blog are fawing comments about how great and wonderful her blog was - and how amusing and funny she is. Nowt else.

I am glad that myself - and maybe one other bloke saw through it (Or at least pointed it out). However the amount of people sucked in by it was pretty surprising. Are people really that easily conned ?

Anyone else got examples of Linkedin nonsense ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I can't stand the place. Lots of mutual backslapping and brown-nosing.

Glad its not just me !! It is useful for contacts for work and such though. I may just can it soon as its getting a bit silly.

Don't have an account, but have searched for a couple of school mates who I kept in touch with.

One says he went to Cambridge University despite actually finishing school at 18 and working ever since :lol:

Not sure what the point is of it if they don't check?

Interesting - I have also noted that almost every single person on there is a 'consultant or 'manager' of something.

HOLA445

I like the "Would you endorse Fred for his management skills?" No I wouldn't because when I met him he was a nerdy programmer that couldn't manage anything! I have been "endorsed" for things of which I know little or nothing. :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I went out with two women who were very important consultants

To this day, I have absolutely no idea what they actually did

Importantly consult? :unsure:

I only "connect" to people I genuinely worked with, and found to be competent, and pleasant. I have no idea what they are doing now however, so I cannot "endorse" them for stuff I didn't know they do.

HOLA449

I'm on it but don't even have a picture on my profile.

Seems a bit of a waste of time..

Technical questions I would generally help with but I tend not to, mainly because everyone can see who I work for so they will either presume I am trying to sell them something, or I'd likely end up in some kind of one-up-man-ship technical p1ssing contest with a competitor. Not worth it.

Outside of the technical forums the only other reason for it's existence seems to be charging recruitment companies a lot of money to spam you with job offers.

Haven't seen any cheesy Facebook type drivel on there yet, but being in engineering most of my contacts are 40 year old bald blokes.. they're not generally into that sort of nonsense.

HOLA4410

Don't have an account, but have searched for a couple of school mates who I kept in touch with.

One says he went to Cambridge University despite actually finishing school at 18 and working ever since :lol:

Not sure what the point is of it if they don't check?

Everyone wants to employ a liar?

HOLA4411

I'm on it but don't even have a picture on my profile.

Seems a bit of a waste of time..

Technical questions I would generally help with but I tend not to, mainly because everyone can see who I work for so they will either presume I am trying to sell them something, or I'd likely end up in some kind of one-up-man-ship technical p1ssing contest with a competitor. Not worth it.

Outside of the technical forums the only other reason for it's existence seems to be charging recruitment companies a lot of money to spam you with job offers.

Haven't seen any cheesy Facebook type drivel on there yet, but being in engineering most of my contacts are 40 year old bald blokes.. they're not generally into that sort of nonsense.

Ain't that just the case?

I also do not have my picture on it, as I am in engineering too, although not a bald as some of my mates.

HOLA4412

I've had one since the beginning.

You get spammed by kids just out of uni who know feck all about feck all but have landed jobs as 'Recruitment Consultants'.

It's also a place for workaholics and narcissists to boast about all the amazing projects they've worked on.

Like most social media, it's mostly an utter waste of time.

HOLA4413

I always liked the job description given by one guy I used to work with which was technically correct but would have had his old school mates' jaws dropping.

"I work in finance in Switzerland"

He was about 20, and one of many processing clerks we shipped out there on a project each week, he'd habe been earning about 18k.

HOLA4414

Never been on it but get constantly bombarded with the request things from various people.

One trend I have noticed is if their current employer is listed as 'their name/initials Consulting Ltd' this seems to be the Linkedin way of saying 'have been made redundant'.

HOLA4415

I like the "Would you endorse Fred for his management skills?" No I wouldn't because when I met him he was a nerdy programmer that couldn't manage anything! I have been "endorsed" for things of which I know little or nothing. :blink:

Erm, that's probably me :wacko: I like going around endorsing people for the most ridiculous skills possible: Would you endorse Fred for VAX VMS ? Oh yes I would, welcome to VAX recruitment hell sucker!

HOLA4416

I've had one since the beginning.

You get spammed by kids just out of uni who know feck all about feck all but have landed jobs as 'Recruitment Consultants'.

It's also a place for workaholics and narcissists to boast about all the amazing projects they've worked on.

Like most social media, it's mostly an utter waste of time.

They can't exactly work out what you can do can they. ^_^ The best recruitment people have had years in the industry they are recruiting for.

Erm, that's probably me :wacko: I like going around endorsing people for the most ridiculous skills possible: Would you endorse Fred for VAX VMS ? Oh yes I would, welcome to VAX recruitment hell sucker!

Actually, I used to be a VAX/VMS SysAdmin. That's how nerdy I am. :blink: I would be happy to be endorsed for that.

HOLA4417

Never been on it but get constantly bombarded with the request things from various people.

One trend I have noticed is if their current employer is listed as 'their name/initials Consulting Ltd' this seems to be the Linkedin way of saying 'have been made redundant'.

I have been made redundant. I will have to get a new job by January.

HOLA4418

I have been made redundant. I will have to get a new job by January.

Urgh that's shit. hope things go ok. why made redundant? No VAX experience needed :-(

Btw appreciate the geek reference!

HOLA4419

Urgh that's shit. hope things go ok. why made redundant? No VAX experience needed :-(

Btw appreciate the geek reference

Because my employers failed to have any customers. I find this essential to a business, although I am no financial expert, and do not have an MBA. :blink:

I wasn't doing VAX/VMS recently BTW. ;)

I guess "redundancy" attracts recruiters on LinkedIn? :unsure:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The Linkedin profile of one of my ex-team of years ago would put Walter Mitty and Billy Liar to shame.

Mind you, had I properly checked his CV claims before I employed him, I wouldn't have employed him.

I suppose he is someone else's problem now.

Aren't they smashing?

The amazing bullshitting man! They are legion! :huh:

I've never felt the need to exaggerate, as people won't believe me as I am when they meet me anyway. And people here believe I am fictitious, like your uncle. In fact I think they are hoping I am. :blink:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived