House Price Crash Forum

The Real Economy Isn't Houses, It Is Coffee Shops

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest eight

People's appetite for expensive coffee does seem to know no bounds.

Drove somewhere I hadn't been for a little while on Saturday - two of those PC World/Pets at Home/The Range/Bensons For Beds enclaves had newly sprung up within about five miles of each other. And this wasn't an affluent area.

The age of Buy'N'Large - as so graphically depicted in Wall-E - can't be far away.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The coffee shops have eaten a big chunk of the pubs' lunch. As well as the likes of old greasy spoon.

At least it's not causing the kind of tensions that accompanied some earlier rises of the coffee shop, when they were associated with free thinking, political radicalism and generational rift.

Edited by porca misèria

HOLA446
HOLA447

People's appetite for expensive coffee does seem to know no bounds.

Expensive, but not high quality.

I've yet to find any coffee shop on the high street that sells what I would call good coffee.

So, essentially, people are just paying over the odds for junk.

HOLA448

I've yet to find any coffee shop on the high street that sells what I would call good coffee.

The best fresh coffee is made at home.....you can't beat it...... ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

People pay over the odds for junk all the time. The marketer only has to appeal to the 5 senses and ego.

Make it shiny, smell nice and look good and make sure you say other people want it - and that's the magic formula to sell anything to the brain dead majority.

The majority just need a basic level of functionality from any item. The rest for them is made up of how others perceive them. Coffee drinking sets you in the middle class so you do it because others in your class do it. You have no idea if you like it, but you quickly become addicted to it.

Edited by katchytitle

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You're paying for a comfortable place to sit on the high street (probably with free wifi and a desk to work on). The coffee shop has to pay for rent, business rates, electricity, investment costs etc. .

The coffee you make at home will only cost say 20p.

HOLA4414

You're paying for a comfortable place to sit on the high street (probably with free wifi and a desk to work on). The coffee shop has to pay for rent, business rates, electricity, investment costs etc. .

The coffee you make at home will only cost say 20p.

What will WiFi at home cost? ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Possibly the coffee you make at home costs 20p, but the coffee I make costs at least £15.00 for a 250g tin. Sometimes the price is £25.00 for 125g.

Do you use beans that we're eaten by Alaskan virgins, shit out and harvested by trained polar bears by any chance?

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Coffee is dangerous stuff, seriously. Gives me the shakes really bad, that can't be right can it. -_-

Non-sensical stuff really, smells great, gives you a short term high to cancel out the low you only had from caffeine withdrawls, so basically feeds an unhealthy unnecessary addiction, it tastes ok (even the 'really decent' stuff) and doesn't really serve any wholesome purpose other than giving an addict a fix. Its just a rubbish drug that gives you the shts and the jitters basically.

I never used to drink the stuff then somehow got sucked in a few years ago as my new job was on the road so I meet clients in coffee shops normally and they're all fully immersed in coffee culture if there is such a thing. I eventually succumbed and started drinking the odd cup then got mega sucked in and bought a stove top espresso maker and some decent beans etc. I've now decided to cut it out again as I'm increasingly convinced its got some nasty unholy sh1t in it.

Anything which is that readily available to the masses and that addictive (see cigarettes, junk food, primetime tv, fizzy pop) does not have your best interests at heart and cannot be good for your personal wellbeing I reckon.

I'm out. :D

HOLA4421

I like the coffee shop because it offers something different from the pub. I think the fact that it is not focussed around alcohol makes it less threatening to females than the pub and can have longer opening hours. The lack of regulation means they are easier to administer and outfit.

That said I think that they will probably reach saturation at some point, if they haven't already.

HOLA4422

I like the coffee shop because it offers something different from the pub. I think the fact that it is not focussed around alcohol makes it less threatening to females than the pub and can have longer opening hours. The lack of regulation means they are easier to administer and outfit.

That said I think that they will probably reach saturation at some point, if they haven't already.

Hard to chat someone up over a chifrapachinnolatte though.

HOLA4423

How much did people used to spend in the pub? Don't think there's anything particularly virtuous about being mega-frugal about it.

I also view coffee shops as cheap pay as you go offices and meeting rooms. No-one can afford an actual office or even space for a home office. Despite it being a public space Starbucks is a much better working environment than anywhere else I have access to.

Not a fan of coffee though - sugar and chocolate are my poisons...

HOLA4424

Services are 70% of world GDP, probably much higher in the UK. I get that, services have no real ceiling; where as you can only have so much manufactured stuff. Far rather buy experiences than stuff myself....a bit minimalist.

All good for Whitbread and co...not so good for China that has to dump the stuff on us for diddly squat at Poundland.

HOLA4425