House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Did You Know That It Has Taken 15 Years, For The Nasdaq

In 1999 I started working for a company with a "share buy" scheme. Glad I didn't take up the offer. :wacko:

There'll be two outcomes, we come back down from 5,000 or 5,000 becomes a new base. No science to it, it's just what happens bizarrely.

A friend of mine works for one of the US tech companies. Just before the peak, around 2000, he cashed out his considerable holdings and bought a house in Cambridge, UK for cash. His colleagues thought he was nuts and that 100x p/e were normal.

How meaningful is that particular index though? Unlike the main measures which contain companies which have been components for decades so you can pretty much buy and hold the index the Nasdaq 2000 had lots of companies which went pop or dormant.

I doubt there is such a thing but a Nasdaq 2000 index with the then components repriced to 2015 would not I expect be anything other than a whacking great loss.

It is not the high and low peaks gained or lost over many years where the money is made it is the zig zags short-term speculative fluctuations.......very few keep or look long-term any more. ;)