House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Tackling Rogue Landlords And Improving The Private Rental Sector A Technical Discussion Paper - Survey (follow Link)!

This survey was hidden away in the "Rogue Landlords Could Be Forced To Repay Housing Benefit" thread, thanks to northshore for highlighting it. Please complete it!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CLR9WGX

Here is the consultation paper it is linked from; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/450862/Discussion_paper_FINAL.pdf

Just completed it as individual tenant. Good survey with plenty of opportunity to give opinions.

Ugh. Can't get an overview or move through it. Care to summarise: how many pages, and their broad topics? Any scope for rantscomments about agents?

Ugh. Can't get an overview or move through it. Care to summarise: how many pages, and their broad topics? Any scope for rantscomments about agents?

It's not long. About 10 pages of actual questions if that, some of which are just drop down choices, others with the option to fill in a box with a detailed response. Imo it is a very good, much needed survey. It is quite detailed in its scope. I can PM you the contents of each page (the wording of the proposals) if you want?

Edited by fru-gal

Completed it. Some of the questions felt like an opportunity to undermine myself, as I have little idea how some particular proposed changes might affect one thing or another. Happily it seems you can leave bits blank if you've nothing to say or are not sure. They could of course be fishing for how the changes would be perceived as much as the actuality, but I left bits blank if I wasn't sure about how some technical change to a particular process might play out.

I suggested (among other things) Local Authorities should consider compulsory purchase and sell off properties they take over running in order to recoup losses/running/admin costs from any existing equity, with any shortfall being pursued from the owner(if an individual) or company officials(if corporate). Maybe LA can get in a first charge to trump the lender, like HMRC can/will.

Completed it. Some of the questions felt like an opportunity to undermine myself, as I have little idea how some particular proposed changes might affect one thing or another. Happily it seems you can leave bits blank if you've nothing to say or are not sure. They could of course be fishing for how the changes would be perceived as much as the actuality, but I left bits blank if I wasn't sure about how some technical change to a particular process might play out.

I suggested (among other things) Local Authorities should consider compulsory purchase and sell off properties they take over running in order to recoup losses/running/admin costs from any existing equity, with any shortfall being pursued from the owner(if an individual) or company officials(if corporate). Maybe LA can get in a first charge to trump the lender, like HMRC can/will.

I did too. The way I see it is that persistent rogue landlords are criminals (especially when it comes to things that could be fatal for their tenants, such as not fixing dodgy wiring or unsafe structures) and they should be stripped of their properties under proceeds of crime. It also kills two birds with one stone because if councils are allowed to keep more money from things like seizing assets, they will be more motivated as council funding has been cut. They should also compensate the victims of Rachman landlords (who tend to be tenants). I was surprised at how in depth some of the questions were, I think this could make a big change to the PRS if it gets the go ahead.

I did too. The way I see it is that persistent rogue landlords are criminals (especially when it comes to things that could be fatal for their tenants, such as not fixing dodgy wiring or unsafe structures) and they should be stripped of their properties under proceeds of crime. It also kills two birds with one stone because if councils are allowed to keep more money from things like seizing assets, they will be more motivated as council funding has been cut. They should also compensate the victims of Rachman landlords (who tend to be tenants). I was surprised at how in depth some of the questions were, I think this could make a big change to the PRS if it gets the go ahead.

The depth was very encouraging, although as noted above I didn't feel appropriately qualified to give an informed view on some of the proposals.

Like you, I did also make it clear that custodial sentences were entirely appropriate in certain circumstances.

Thank you for posting the link. We'll see what comes out of it in due course.

I filled out mine along similar lines. Pointed out that breaches tend to be prolonged and involve the receipt of large sums of money. A rogue landlord should not be treated leniently just because he spends the money before being caught!

Suggested that LAs have the skills in house to manage seized and let properties at a profit, but shouldn't be forced to do so at a loss. Hierarchy for proceeds from rent and / or sale with guess-who at the bottom!

I also suggested that "double billing" by letting agents be outlawed.

I filled out mine along similar lines. Pointed out that breaches tend to be prolonged and involve the receipt of large sums of money. A rogue landlord should not be treated leniently just because he spends the money before being caught!

Likewise! Pointed out if you're not supposed to financially benefit from crime, the fine for the guilty of those various offences should be at a minimum the profit (and possibly just the income!) for the length of time it went on for, not a piddly 1500 quid.

There's also an opportunity to submit evidence on 'the development and implementation of national policy for the built environment': http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/built-environment/news-parliament-2015/call-for-evidence/

Rather more comprehensive and long-term (policymaking, planning, building, design, community, financing) but in case anyone's interested:

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-committees/built-environment/Call-for-written-evidence-NPBE.pdf

an update from councils. wanting heavier fines. Landlords association says they should not fine above level a landlord can afford to pay.

Should the max fine really be 100% of profits? They can get get creative and avoid making profits and avoid fines. Nobody deserves a profit - you have to work for it. It would be like Bland Unsight's vision of landlords being a minimum wage landlord segment of society toiling to maintain property. Make it come out of PAYE too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34298818

an update from councils. wanting heavier fines. Landlords association says they should not fine above level a landlord can afford to pay.

Another day, another LL are shit slumlords story.

This is less buffoons like Fat Fergus, and more some dodgy Asian LL packing 5 to a room.

SOme ofthe flop houses Ive come across are fcking disgusting and should be closed. The LL should be jailed.

The slumlord assoication was mewing about 'councils should take into the LLs ability to pay before fining'.

No they should not. They should fine, repo the house and any assets, and, as is most often the case, kick the fcker back to [bangladesh | Indian | Pakistan | Afganistan]