House Price Crash Forum
padders

Buying Foreign Shares?

How does one go about buying foreign shares or invest in a pool of foreign shares (I am thinking Japan at the moment)? I currently have a few UK shares in a Squaregain account, but thats it.

How does one go about buying foreign shares or invest in a pool of foreign shares (I am thinking Japan at the moment)? I currently have a few UK shares in a Squaregain account, but thats it.

Buy the Exchange Traded Fund IJPN.L There's no need to DIY a Japan fund, its already been done for you! ;)

If you want to offload quickly there's no multiple dealing charges.

I would use Finspreads or IG Index to back the Nikkei 225. This gives you signficant leverage compared to buying shares. I currently have a small bet on the Nikkei (because it is volatile) and a larger bet on the Swiss Merket Index which has also been making strong gains.

Internaxx (www.internaxx.lu) offers a single platform for trading in equities on markets in London, New York, Toronto, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Zurich, Amsterdam, Madrid and Brussels. They don't offer Far East markets but I opened my account so that I could buy Canadian energy and commodities companies for reasonable trading costs. I've done quite well with Connacher, an Alberta tar sands play.

Interestingly, Internaxx also offer CFD trading on more liquid equities in all of those markets I listed above. I've found that CFDs can sometimes be a better alternative to traded options on North American equities (greater potential downside and you pay interest on long positions but no killer time decay on extrinsic option value).

I bought into the Fidelity Japan Special Situations fund in Sept and its already up 18%.

Japan is hot at the moment (after 15 years of deflation!)

i have units in that fund in a isa

and look back to year 2000 thats when i lost over 60% in that fund when the dot.com boom bust.

however looks good now