House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Old Person Decided To Die.

Her choice. If she was truly ready, then it was an act of courage and why should someone not be granted the freedom to go on their own terms, rather than after a long painful decline? Fair play to her.

Her choice. If she was truly ready, then it was an act of courage and why should someone not be granted the freedom to go on their own terms, rather than after a long painful decline? Fair play to her.

This is a little near to the bone for me today. My old man went to hospital Thursday about 1ish dehydrated, kidney infection standard old bugger stuff. They stabilised him then sent up to the ward (care at his hospital always been great it is a joint military hospital) Took Mum in there at about 6 after seeing him on my own then picking her up. Fidgety but seemed ok. Took Mum home 15 mins away about 9 almost immediately the phone rang he had crashed and was now being resuscitated etc.

Got back in and he was effectively gone. I am 100% convinced he made a decision that at 89 and a tough old bugger that he wanted to be strong even at that age, he weighed it all up return of cancer from 10 years ago, dribbling, collapsing etc and decided to check out.

Lucky he had the option god bless him but everyone should have.

This is a little near to the bone for me today. My old man went to hospital Thursday about 1ish dehydrated, kidney infection standard old bugger stuff. They stabilised him then sent up to the ward (care at his hospital always been great it is a joint military hospital) Took Mum in there at about 6 after seeing him on my own then picking her up. Fidgety but seemed ok. Took Mum home 15 mins away about 9 almost immediately the phone rang he had crashed and was now being resuscitated etc.

Got back in and he was effectively gone. I am 100% convinced he made a decision that at 89 and a tough old bugger that he wanted to be strong even at that age, he weighed it all up return of cancer from 10 years ago, dribbling, collapsing etc and decided to check out.

Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get some consolation from the fact that he's no longer suffering.

Sorry to hear that news. At least you got to see him awake in his final hours. But you rarely know it's time to say goodbye to them until it's too late.

Sorry for your loss, Greg. Decent innnings, and he raised a good un.

Thanks for the lovely comments all true but ultimately a good innings as you say SSC appreciate everyone's kind words

Being a septuagenarian I have seen many people die.

My grandfather in law was in bed on his last legs when I went to see him. He was on morphia etc.

I said. 'How are you?'

He replied, 'I want to die.'

I said 'Well don't die yet.'

He replied. 'Why not?'

I said, 'Because I haven't insured you.'

He said, 'That's an idea,' He called my Mother in-law, his daughter and said,

'Get 3 insurance men here tomorrow.'

He died the following day. He wanted to go.

Same with my stepmother. She was very ill.

I asked her how she was and she replied, 'I want to die'

She died 2 days later. She wanted to go.

There seems to come a point in all old people's lives that they just want to go.