House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Jeremy Corbyn Mp On Housing (from Red Brick Blog)

More planning regs and no mention of stopping 'Help to Buy'. So pretty much as before.

And people think this guy is a radical?

I disagree. He has plenty of good policies, is advocating building hundreds of thousands of social homes, lifting the borrowing cap so that councils can build, ending RTB, regulating the PRS, introducing rent controls. He might not be perfect but that is a damn sight better than the current show has deigned to grant those not privileged by wealth, being born at the right time or being a multiple BTL landlord.

He's also looking at LVT, something which I doubt the Tories would ever consider;

We also need to look at bringing in a Land Value Tax (especially on undeveloped land with planning permission) and other ‘use it or lose it’ measures to act as a strong deterrent against land banking.
Edited by fru-gal

I disagree. He has plenty of good policies, is advocating building hundreds of thousands of social homes, lifting the borrowing cap so that councils can build, ending RTB, regulating the PRS, introducing rent controls. He might not be perfect but that is a damn sight better than the current show has deigned to grant those not privileged by wealth, being born at the right time or being a multiple BTL landlord.

Not perfect as you say but a whole hell of a lot better than the current system.

I remain to be convinced, although I look forward to the next Labour manifesto with interest, they screwed up the last one royally wrt housing. Attempting to sell an erosion in PRS tenure as strengthening tenant rights. Wouldn't trust these people as far as I could throw them. I appreciate Corbyn is scarcely in a position to start firming up ideas into policy but I'd have liked to see the identification of 'Help to Buy' as a major problem at the very least.

If he bought back the 50s/60s again, maybe.

Ie solid semis with 200-400 ft long gardens you can have an allotment in, plentiful parking and lots of playing field space.

As it stands, it'll be more commieblock style slave residences where you'll have to fight daily over a parking permit.

I remain to be convinced, although I look forward to the next Labour manifesto with interest, they screwed up the last one royally wrt housing. Attempting to sell an erosion in PRS tenure as strengthening tenant rights. Wouldn't trust these people as far as I could throw them. I appreciate Corbyn is scarcely in a position to start firming up ideas into policy but I'd have liked to see the identification of 'Help to Buy' as a major problem at the very least.

Considering that the Tories are not going to offer a better alternative, I will have to go with the party that is most likely to offer a housing solution that will benefit me and my family. Under nuLabour this was not the case, but Corbyn's suggestions are infinitely better than what the Tories are proposing.

Considering that the Tories are not going to offer a better alternative, I will have to go with the party that is most likely to offer a housing solution that will benefit me and my family. Under nuLabour this was not the case, but Corbyn's suggestions are infinitely better than what the Tories are proposing.

I'm not having a go btw, just increasingly jaded at what is on offer by even what is considered the most friendly policy actions. Much as I'd like to think that I'll be able to enjoy a secure, reasonably priced home (whether rented or bought) on a timescale which is of interest to me at a point in my life where security of tenure is relatively very important (ie now, as I have a young family), it seems that this is not at all an outcome I should bank on. Frankly we are starting to consider alternatives overseas, but who knows whether it will come to anything, and if it does, when, but can't help but feel that we've 4 years until junior starts school and we'd better be happy with our housing lot by then. Not really obvious to me that the UK will have changed much in that period, although the BTL tax changes offer a lot of potential there. Problem is that even they require the serially ignorant to suddenly start paying attention.

If he bought back the 50s/60s again, maybe.

Ie solid semis with 200-400 ft long gardens you can have an allotment in, plentiful parking and lots of playing field space.

As it stands, it'll be more commieblock style slave residences where you'll have to fight daily over a parking permit.

FCHO have built some houses that aren't all jammed together. Big gardens. Nice. Not like most nasty new builds.

Can't find a pic.

He's also looking at LVT, something which I doubt the Tories would ever consider;

The purpose of which is exactly what from his point of view?

Corbyn was the only Labour politician to really take on the Tory budget and to lay into the obvious age apartheid. 'What have you got against young people?'

If he gets the leadership I hate to think what the Murdoch press will come up with.

Favourable towards Land Value Tax too, though caveats it with applying it to land banking/hoarding.

Have to bear in mind has to play this very carefully as Tories dredge up their 'penniless grannies in their mansions' argument.

The way to beat the Tories is take their policies to logical conclusions. Sell of social housing? Then sell off private rented housing too (if you really are serious about spreading home ownership).

JC: We should invest in a large scale house building programme. We should be aiming for at least 100,000 homes a year available for social rent. We need to build an additional 240,000 homes a year just to meet current demand ..

So that sounds about 340,000 a year in total - so that starts to sound reasonable depending on how many are demolished etc (demolitions are never mentioned).

As the earliest will likely be after the 2020 general election who knows what the backlog will be by then.

And we already know that last year the UK's population growth jumped from a rate of about 500,000 a year to about 800,000 a year so the UK backlog could be truly massive by then and the problem far worse than even now - if that was possible.

The infrastructure problems etc hardly bear thinking about and are also rarely if ever mentioned.

Edited by billybong

Favourable towards Land Value Tax too, though caveats it with applying it to land banking/hoarding.

Have to bear in mind has to play this very carefully as Tories dredge up their 'penniless grannies in their mansions' argument.

The way to beat the Tories is take their policies to logical conclusions. Sell of social housing? Then sell off private rented housing too (if you really are serious about spreading home ownership).

I thought the tories contested the 'mansion tax' because they said it would be applied to some houses that were modest in the 60s or 70s.

Thats fair enough...a notting hill terrace was indeed a modest residence then. An actual mansion with acreage in Surrey was still an actual mansion with acreage in the 60s or 70s.

The mansion tax should have always been based on the land it occupied rather than a simple 'what it last sold for' calculation.

I disagree. He has plenty of good policies, is advocating building hundreds of thousands of social homes,

he's sodding clueless.

we can concrete over everything in this green and pleasant lant.

and then it will be not very green and nor very pleasant

and then because all the green stuff has gone we can no longer feed everybody on the island.

are these people malevolently psychotic,delusional or just plain incompetent?

none of which deserve to be on the levers of power.

..I have rather more sympathy for plain incompetents, because if this policy WAS malevolently psychotic we have no choice but to execute them......incompetents can probably get off with the rest of their lives in a padded cell with a set of crayons and a colouring book.

he's sodding clueless.

we can concrete over everything in this green and pleasant lant.

and then it will be not very green and nor very pleasant

and then because all the green stuff has gone we can no longer feed everybody on the island.

are these people malevolently psychotic,delusional or just plain incompetent?

none of which deserve to be on the levers of power.

..I have rather more sympathy for plain incompetents, because if this policy WAS malevolently psychotic we have no choice but to execute them......incompetents can probably get off with the rest of their lives in a padded cell with a set of crayons and a colouring book.

I agree. And worst of all, Corbyn is in favour of unfettered immigration. His policies of generous welfare and open borders will make the current housing crisis look like no crisis at all. And Labour never seem to consider the infrastructure that is needed such as roads, hospitals and schools. The Tories are not much better as they only pay lip service to those aspects.