House Price Crash Forum
VeryMeanReversion

Permitted Development - Class Mb

A neighbour of mine has just managed to use the latest Permitted Development laws to get an old outbuilding classed as a new dwelling. There was no chance this would have got through under the normal planning process as it is contrary to local policies.

These rights are summarised well on http://www.farrer.co.uk/News/Briefings/New-Permitted-Development-Rights-for-Agricultural-Buildings/

Basically, if the building was solely for agricultural use, you can turn it into a dwelling, no planning permission needed. The council can affect appearance but nothing else. One key thing is that you are restricted to the original dimensions. After 10 years, you can use other PD rights to extend or go through the planning process as normal.

A neighbour of mine has a huge storage building and an acre that he would sell for £200K. If I had the cash, I would be all over this. He doesn't know the rules changes means that plot is now worth £600K+.

I live in an old smallholding (land sold off years ago) with such a building so I will look at doing this. I was going to use class E, keep it as a garage for a few years then go for change of use. This new law may be better.

If any of your know of any such opportunities, it is worth investigating.

I've been surprised by the opportunities offered by PD rights. The government seem to be opening it up all the time, bypassing the normal planning requirements.

This has caused quite a buzz in our office (Architects with planning department), being based in Kent the majority of potential sites are located in AONBs or Conservation Areas so PD rights are irrelevant.

Most local authorities have an 'interactive planning map' on their websites where you can overlay boundaries for items mentioned above and more. Probably worth checking out.

A neighbour of mine has just managed to use the latest Permitted Development laws to get an old outbuilding classed as a new dwelling. There was no chance this would have got through under the normal planning process as it is contrary to local policies.

These rights are summarised well on http://www.farrer.co.uk/News/Briefings/New-Permitted-Development-Rights-for-Agricultural-Buildings/

Basically, if the building was solely for agricultural use, you can turn it into a dwelling, no planning permission needed. The council can affect appearance but nothing else. One key thing is that you are restricted to the original dimensions. After 10 years, you can use other PD rights to extend or go through the planning process as normal.

A neighbour of mine has a huge storage building and an acre that he would sell for £200K. If I had the cash, I would be all over this. He doesn't know the rules changes means that plot is now worth £600K+.

I live in an old smallholding (land sold off years ago) with such a building so I will look at doing this. I was going to use class E, keep it as a garage for a few years then go for change of use. This new law may be better.

If any of your know of any such opportunities, it is worth investigating.

I've been surprised by the opportunities offered by PD rights. The government seem to be opening it up all the time, bypassing the normal planning requirements.

In your opion would a 45 foot shipping container that has been in sited for 7 years (council has accepted it now cannot be moved)be considered to be converted under permitted development ?

In your opion would a 45 foot shipping container that has been in sited for 7 years (council has accepted it now cannot be moved)be considered to be converted under permitted development ?

As a class E outbuilding, yes. (Subject to usual height/width/boundary limits)

As a dwelling, no.

However, getting the paperwork for a class E then just moving in afterwards is an option, just not covered by PD. If you can get away with it for 4 years, you can go for a lawful development certificate.

This has caused quite a buzz in our office (Architects with planning department), being based in Kent the majority of potential sites are located in AONBs or Conservation Areas so PD rights are irrelevant.

Most local authorities have an 'interactive planning map' on their websites where you can overlay boundaries for items mentioned above and more. Probably worth checking out.

Do you offer an HPC discount? I am looking at a site in Kent and need planning advice. It is listed curtilage, not in AONB or SSSI though. The question is, do I feel lucky?

As an aside, aren't these now called Class Q?

I started a thread back in March to give HPC members a heads up on new permitted development rights, which also now includes the right to convert storage and distribution buildings (B8) to residential (C3).

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/203899-new-permitted-development-rights/

I linked to the permitted development rights on agricultural buildings in post #5.

Note that the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 replaces class MB with class Q, and you might want to read new guidance on the changes here.

Edit: I see spunko2010 has already pointed out the class change.

Edited by FreeTrader

Also...

Where abouts do you live? There have been 3-4 Atcost (ugly) barns round here that have Class MB/Q outline planning on them, normally go for around £250k with a bit of land. This is in 'prime' Kent. I can't see anyone taking a £600k risk on one of these, unless it has full planning. Maybe closer to London they might.

My main concern is that the council can 'affect the external design' , and a lot of the Atcost barns round here with Class Q state that they will retain the structure (?) - why would anyone want to keep the ugly steel frame on a place like this? it's an absolute eyesore:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34064247.html

Photo 11, not exactly pretty is it? I'm trying to figure out how flexible the council are. As long as the footprint is retained surely they cannot object to something a bit prettier like this from Border Oak? http://www.essexbarns.co.uk/files/property/images/_resized/SHM1004223B-1000x750.jpg although then I suppose it would be a new building rather than conversion of existing. Insisting on keeping the frame, if they do that, seems counter productive. There isn't much information out there on this, and architects I've spoken to seem slightly clueless too.

Edited by spunko2010

Do you offer an HPC discount? I am looking at a site in Kent and need planning advice. It is listed curtilage, not in AONB or SSSI though. The question is, do I feel lucky?

As an aside, aren't these now called Class Q?

I guess we should all stick together... :). Feel free to PM me, I'm happy to have a look at anything etc. I'm about to go away on holiday though (see off topic weddings abroad rant thread).

Hi Bronson, just tried to send you a PM but it says you can't receive them.

That oast house - is it brand new or on the site of an existing one? Not a fan of "new" oasts personally. I'll try to dig out the planning.

Sorry, I mean I *think* it's listed curtilage. The local council's planning map doesn't list them - is there a way to find out easily?

The site is within the grounds of a C16th farmhouse (maybe 200ft away), so I suspect it is.

Edited by spunko2010

Also...

Where abouts do you live? There have been 3-4 Atcost (ugly) barns round here that have Class MB/Q outline planning on them, normally go for around £250k with a bit of land. This is in 'prime' Kent. I can't see anyone taking a £600k risk on one of these, unless it has full planning. Maybe closer to London they might.

South Cambs. Very rare to find a 1 acre plot around here.

What about something like this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53668124.html

It has the remains of an old building. How likely to be able to rebuild this, then convert into residential? I think its on green belt and maybe in an aonb

If old building was solely for agricultural purposes => Yes.

But if AONB => No