House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Women Frozen Out By Office Air-con Systems Designed For Male Comfort, Scientists Find

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/women-frozen-out-by-office-aircon-systems-designed-for-male-comfort-scientists-find-10436035.html

It’s true, women really are being frozen out of the workplace. Office air-conditioning systems discriminate against shivering female staff because they are calibrated to match the metabolic rate of a 40 year-old man.

Warm-blooded men who luxuriate in the ice-cold temperatures of an air-con system operating at full blast in the height of Summer are doing so at the expense of their pashmina-wrapped female colleagues.

Indoor climate control systems are based on the resting metabolic rate of an average 40-year-old man, who is likely to feel more comfortable at a lower temperature than women, say scientists.

A study of 16 young women performing light office work showed that they were at risk of being over-chilled by air conditioning in Summer, Nature Climate Change reported.

Their metabolic rates, significantly lower than the “standard values” currently employed to set office temperatures, suggested they required less cooling in summer than men.

Put a jumper on rather than wearing skimpy clothing??

A study of 16 people FFS!

It doesn't sound very scientific, but I find women hug men in bed when it's cold, because men generate more heat. Well I do anyway, because I am not fat.

Back to the article, it is possible for women to wear trousers. If they come into the office in lingerie, and slingbacks in Winter, they are not very clever. :blink:

But it might make their nipples stick out. B)

Yep, turn up the heating and make all the males sterile. That's what they all want, isn't it?

You have already mentally castrated them, why not just get out the rubber bands and do it permanently?

Only Geordie women can cope with extremely cold conditions in skimpy clothes. :blink:

I've never worked in an office where the air-con actually worked all that well, I kind of envied the burds prancin' around in their low cut tops and miniskirts with no knickers.

It doesn't sound very scientific, but I find women hug men in bed when it's cold, because men generate more heat. Well I do anyway, because I am not fat.

You hug men in bed? I would never have guessed.

Ha - good point!

When I've read about this before the ambient temperature that you are comfortable in is down to your surface area to mass ratio.

Men are generally bigger (so lower surface area to mass) so like it cooler.

And as noted, if you're cold you can put a cardie on, but if you're hot then stripping off is not an option in most offices.

What's air conditioning.

I have only worked in one office with it in the last 35 years.

In IT it is a luxury preserved for the servers in the data centre.

Air conditioning is the company's way of making sure that everyone goes down with the same illnesses at the same time and so gets it out of the way quickly.

It appears to be the fault of the men who have to attend work in their suits and ties whatever the weather, whereas those so hard done by women can change to light cloths whenever they like.

Now, someone has to suffer in this situation, one side is self imposed freedom, the other self imposed conformity.

In places I work, no matter the temperature, there is always one woman who is cold. Identified by the stiff arms close by her side or chest, the shivering and blue nose...whilst next to her another will be in plunging cottons and fluttery skirt.

And the cold ones tend not to move much.

Ha - good point!

When I've read about this before the ambient temperature that you are comfortable in is down to your surface area to mass ratio.

Men are generally bigger (so lower surface area to mass) so like it cooler.

And as noted, if you're cold you can put a cardie on, but if you're hot then stripping off is not an option in most offices.

It might be as simple as that. :huh:

Standard office wear should include shirt and sweater. For men and women.

Then we can decide who is cold/hot.

What you can't have is men forced to wear shirts, ties and trousers etc being hot while women wearing strappy tops etc complain about being cold.

I would advocate separated offices for men and women, to be honest. I'm not sure a happy temperature can ever be reached while the two sexes share an office.

Agree about the suit/tie etc. combination but it's probably about time men took a stand (like women have for various causes) and stopped being so pussy-whipped. In office at the moment in jeans and a t-shirt, my ties, shirts or shoes don't get the work done!

Our society has now reached the point where it sees 'sexism' and 'discrimination' in everything, just as people in the seventeenth century saw witchcraft and devilry in everything.

FFS, just put a cardigan on and stop moaning. Problem solved!

I managed a team in an office which had its own boiler and heating system. My female deputy would put the heating on and turn the thermostat up to 30 in July despite everyone elses protests

I went in early one morning and removed the fuse until the following October.

It really is one of the common areas of conflict in the office environment.

I am a bloke so I am on one side of the fence - however from a neutral point of view - as many already remark - if its too hot there is not much you can do about it. Too cold - you at least have options.

If it all gets too much I have taken a small thermometor into the office before. Fair few times a small number of women have been compaining about it being 'freezing'. Taking the thermometor out and showing them it is actually 24C - and a nice temperature for going for a summer picnic by the sea in your shorts - usually pipes them down. They then usually move onto 'Well it must be the drafts then'.. Which to be fair you can get in some office environments at certain desks - so ask for a desk move then rather than impacting the entire room with a sauna as an office !!

Last office I was in two of the burds would sit there with hot water bottles on all day long. This office was about 21-22C. I just dont get it. Should they see a doctor about this ?! It doesnt seem right.

Taking the thermometor out and showing them it is actually 24C - and a nice temperature for going for a summer picnic by the sea in your shorts

I still don't understand how women (mainly) can be cold indoors when the ambient temperature is 24C +. That is shorts/topless weather. Why are people cold in offices when it is that warm?

It really is one of the common areas of conflict in the office environment.

I am a bloke so I am on one side of the fence - however from a neutral point of view - as many already remark - if its too hot there is not much you can do about it. Too cold - you at least have options.

If it all gets too much I have taken a small thermometor into the office before. Fair few times a small number of women have been compaining about it being 'freezing'. Taking the thermometor out and showing them it is actually 24C - and a nice temperature for going for a summer picnic by the sea in your shorts - usually pipes them down. They then usually move onto 'Well it must be the drafts then'.. Which to be fair you can get in some office environments at certain desks - so ask for a desk move then rather than impacting the entire room with a sauna as an office !!

Last office I was in two of the burds would sit there with hot water bottles on all day long. This office was about 21-22C. I just dont get it. Should they see a doctor about this ?! It doesnt seem right.

It may well be the drafts if there is an air con unit in the ceiling. They have fins/flaps (the aircon unit, not the birds!) than can sometimes be adjusted to blow the cold air (draft) at a different angle i.e. above their heads as opposed to down their necks.

Only Geordie women can cope with extremely cold conditions in skimpy clothes. :blink:

Aye, very true Pinny that mate - as featured about half-way through this enlightening and educational TV clip...

;)

XYY

The last company I worked for had "climate champions". They were in charge of setting the zone temperature. I think there was some convoluted way to get them to change the temperature, involving a meeting probably.