House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Compo Nuttiness

There's compo culture but this one takes the biscuit (or cupcake) - my emphasis in bold below:

I almost died eating cupcake that had no allergy warning, says health worker suing east London cafe

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/i-almost-died-eating-cupcake-that-had-no-allergy-warning-says-health-worker-suing-east-london-cafe-10420964.html

"A healthcare worker today told how she “nearly died” from an allergic reaction to a cupcake bought from a London cafe.

Siobhan Gosrani, who has suffered from a serious nut allergy since birth, went into acute anaphylactic shock after biting into the lemon-flavoured cake’s icing, which was made with cashew cream."

[...]

She is now suing the Hackney cafe over her “terrifying” ordeal. Tiosk, in Broadway Market, has admitted liability and is set to make a payout because it did not have the correct allergy warning signs in place.

[...]

Ms Gosrani did not have her EpiPen — an emergency treatment regularly carried by people suffering acute allergies

[...]

The cake, loose near the front counter among other baked treats, was labelled as “wheat and sugar free” but there was no mention of nuts.

The cafe today said it is not required to put warning labels on each variety of baked goods, but admitted it did not have any of the “ask about allergens” signage required by law to help allergy sufferers. The value of Ms Gosrani’s claim is being assessed but could reach into thousands of pounds.

Co-owner of Tiosk, Natasha Kelly, 48, said: “Tiosk admit that we didn’t have the newly required food information sign ‘ask about allergens’ at the time of the incident. Ms Gosrani unfortunately did not ask about the ingredients despite an apparent life-threatening allergy.”

The manslaughter case is different - that was a clear case of gross, wilful negligence (labelling food as almonds, but fraudulently substituting cheaper peanuts).

In this case, the only negligence appears to have been failure to have signage inviting customers to ask about allergens.

Isn't a nut allergy a bit more generic than just peanuts? Or are peanuts special?

I do have a rudimentary knowledge of the human body, and I can take a dump without reading the book, although I will probably browse the Argos catalog.

Isn't a nut allergy a bit more generic than just peanuts? Or are peanuts special?

I do have a rudimentary knowledge of the human body, and I can take a dump without reading the book, although I will probably browse the Argos catalog.

Peanuts are technically a legume not a nut.

Apparently you can have allergies to both Peanuts and Tree Nuts (ie Hazels, Brazils,Almonds etc) both simultaneously or separately

The two types of food are often processed together so there is also a strong chance of cross contamination from one to another triggering a reaction

Nuts are often used in baked goods so one wonders why the plaintiff did not query this fact at the time of purchase

People with known nut or peanut allergies are usually advised to carry at least TWO autoinjectors so I fully expect the court will consider the woman in this case to have contributed to the severity of this incident by failing to carry one

Peanuts are technically a legume not a nut.

Apparently you can have allergies to both Peanuts amd Tree Nuts (ie Hazels, Brazils,Almonds etc) both simultaneously or separately

The two types of food are often processed together so there is also a strong chance of cross contamination from one to another triggering a reaction

Hmm, I suppose peanuts are more like peas, hence the name. Lucky I didn't continue with Biology past O Level. I would be categorizing carrots as some sort of ground dwelling goldfish with green wigs. :blink:

Ah you beat me to it. If I was allergic to peanuts and knowing that it ends up in all sorts of foods I would bake my own cakes. And if it is from birth I would have thought it would be second nature to check ... like putting on a car seat belt or changing gear or seeing if the road is clear before crossing.

or not braking hard when you see another driver close behind?

Didn't know anyone with peanut allergy when I was growing up.

Maybe they all died. Darwin, eh?

Now peanuts are banned from my kids school.

I've also been on flights were they have requested that no one consumes any products containing peanuts as someone on board has a severe allergy.

Don't see many kids having to carry epi-pens in SE Asia - that Darwin guy again.

Not read all the thread but.....i've noticed airlines have stopped selling nuts as part of the inflight menu. something to do with potential passengers having nut allergys etc.

Now: as it's perfectly legal to take your own food onboard an airline in your hand luggage and consume it on the flight (landing in a foriegn country with it uneaten is a different matter)

Where do i stand if i break out a packet of peanuts? or a granary bread sandwich? or those seasame seed crackers?

The way i see it is its not my problem i've paid for my seat and i'am allowed to consume my homemade snacks.

Not read all the thread but.....i've noticed airlines have stopped selling nuts as part of the inflight menu. something to do with potential passengers having nut allergys etc.Now: as it's perfectly legal to take your own food onboard an airline in your hand luggage and consume it on the flight (landing in a foriegn country with it uneaten is a different matter)Where do i stand if i break out a packet of peanuts? or a granary bread sandwich? or those seasame seed crackers?The way i see it is its not my problem i've paid for my seat and i'am allowed to consume my homemade snacks.

Toddler nearly died as a result of a passenger eating nuts on a plane, they'd brought on with them, despite being asked not to by cabin crew because there was a child with an allergy on the flight.

If you want to join that dentist, looking over your shoulder at a social media lynch mob, then crack on.

Toddler nearly died as a result of a passenger eating nuts on a plane, they'd brought on with them, despite being asked not to by cabin crew because there was a child with an allergy on the flight.

If you want to join that dentist, looking over your shoulder at a social media lynch mob, then crack on.

If someone has a seriously debilitating anaphylaxis, then they should take mitigation precautions or avoid whatever causes the reaction. If the risk is too great then perhaps flying on commercial aircraft is not for them.

Until the start having nut sniffing dogs at the airports, then that hazard cannot be avoided.

You are either fit to fly or you are not.

Edit: Fat fingers on iPhone (not through allergy)

what causes these allergies? Were they around 50 years ago? 100? 500?

It's a good question, but I don't think even doctors know. Romans didn't have peanuts BTW! ;)

Get yourself a certificate

http://allergytraining.food.gov.uk/english/

Study the modules and pass the tests to get a continuing professional development (CPD) certificate. This training has been developed by the Agency for enforcement officers. However, it might also be of interest to food business operators, those involved in selling or producing food or anyone wanting to learn more about food allergies.

Step 1: Study the modules
There are six modules to study, each with a test. These modules cover

Module 1: current and incoming rules and legislation
Module 2: the effects that allergies have in the body
Module 3: considerations of allergies in the factory
Module 4: how allergenic ingredients should be displayed on the label
Module 5: identifying allergens in example of dishes in the restaurant
Module 6: how food businesses should be providing consumers with allergen information
about the non-prepacked food they serve
Step 2: Register and complete the tests
Once you have registered and are logged into the site you will be able to access the tests, either by clicking on the banner at the bottom of each module page, or via your CPD dashboard.

I read the same account in the Standard the other day. While the shop should have had the correct signage, I do wonder how on earth the woman previously coped when it wasn't part of the law. Especially when she is given to not carrying her pen, and not asking about allergens herself. Presumably it must have happened many times to her, and frankly I am amazed she was even able to remember the missing signage after such an ordeal.

I guess I am also somewhat naive in that when something bad happens to me that I could have helped to prevent myself - I do not immediately think of suing someone.

I read the same account in the Standard the other day. While the shop should have had the correct signage, I do wonder how on earth the woman previously coped when it wasn't part of the law. Especially when she is given to not carrying her pen, and not asking about allergens herself. Presumably it must have happened many times to her, and frankly I am amazed she was even able to remember the missing signage after such an ordeal.

I guess I am also somewhat naive in that when something bad happens to me that I could have helped to prevent myself - I do not immediately think of suing someone.

Unfortunately, some people rely upon the fact that companies will pay out a few £k in compensation to avoid either the publicity or the hassle and cost of a court case. You have to pick your battles though. No point choosing a ploy that could trash a company's reputation as that will be likely be fought. You just need to be an 'irritation'.

I know a couple of families that regularly make a few £k from personal accident compensation claims form businesses and councils. The tricks they use are inventive, and at the same time incredibly sad - what a way to live.

I guess I should shop them as it makes life more expensive for me.