House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Energy Meter Fluctuating

Anyone got any experience of these? I found an E.ON one on a site clear out and it seems to work but keeps dropping to 3 watts then back up to something that looks sensible.

I've synchronised the transmitter and receiver, and made sure the clamp meter is securely and squarely around the 'live' meter tail.

The receiver is right next to the external wall where the transmitter is (In the front porch cupboard).

I have wireless smokes alarms and a microwave presence detector light, but switching that off didn't make any difference.

This is probably one for ChumpusRex :D

Is it your freezer going on and off?

BTW I believe Chumpus is involved in the medical profession. I actually do electrical stuff. ;)

It's a fridge-freezer and the compressor does switch on throughout the day although it doesn't seem to have any relation to the erroneous readings (It's pretty noisy so it's easy to tell when it's working!)

Edit: Just to make sure I unplugged it entirely and it's still randomly dropping to 2 or 3 watts then back to around 230

I have, it only shows current though and I expect it will work fine as it's proper Fluke one! Just want to use this as a rough and ready guide, I know how hard A.C. is to accurately measure with differently types of load

I have, it only shows current though and I expect it will work fine as it's proper Fluke one! Just want to use this as a rough and ready guide, I know how hard A.C. is to accurately measure with differently types of load

Man of the moment! A "proper Fluke". :blink: I have one from Maplin, but it was their poshest one. ;)

Any ideas before I shit-can the thing, Pinny? :D

Turn EVERYTHING off, see if it goes down to zero. Now turn on one incandescent lamp or cooker ring. Does it give the current you expect? These are resistive loads, so won't spoil the power factor. Now turn things on one by one and see what happens. Which appliance confuses it?

This was obviously a high quality device, for £30 from Maplin. :blink:

Never really used one of these cheap commercial jobs. When I wanted one, I found a proper industrial meter panel meter and high quality CTs on ebay and that worked fine.

I've no idea how sensitive these things are to wireless interference, or electrical disturbances. But, according to some other forums their accuracy, when compared against the primary meter, is pretty iffy.

Never really used one of these cheap commercial jobs. When I wanted one, I found a proper industrial meter panel meter and high quality CTs on ebay and that worked fine.

I've no idea how sensitive these things are to wireless interference, or electrical disturbances. But, according to some other forums their accuracy, when compared against the primary meter, is pretty iffy.

Is there anything you don't know? ;):blink:

Is there anything you don't know? ;):blink:

The only place in Edinburgh to get a pint at 8am on a Sunday morning ?

The only place in Edinburgh to get a pint at 8am on a Sunday morning ?

That's probably your house, innit?

The transmitter has a little LED and everything, it's top end gear ;)

Turn EVERYTHING off, see if it goes down to zero. Now turn on one incandescent lamp or cooker ring. Does it give the current you expect? These are resistive loads, so won't spoil the power factor. Now turn things on one by one and see what happens. Which appliance confuses it?

I still have my Sinclair DVM, built into a modified Sinclair Oxford Calculator case.

I still have my Sinclair DVM, built into a modified Sinclair Oxford Calculator case.

Always the HPC way! Never throw anything away, as it might "come in handy"? :blink:

The transmitter has a little LED and everything, it's top end gear ;)

If there is an LED, it must be good! :blink:

Some years ago, before phones had cameras in them I bought a cheap "digital camera", er very cheap.

I took it into the office to try it out, and everyone laughed at the amazing poor quality of the pictures. Digital Lomography! :unsure:

You can look up Lomography, but I'll let you know it is a photographic art form based on a particularly poorly made Russian camera, that blurs everything.

Mr Chumpus does know something then! Get a good one! ;)

Nowadays it's hard to get genuinely crrap cameras, so people resort to instagram to make their photos look rubbish.

The camera in my current phone is way better than this one was. And the phone didn't cost much either, and it does other things.