House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics

Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics after beating off competition from Kazakhstan - despite planning to use fake snow
2AFCEBA000000578-0-image-m-26_1438337693

Beijing has been awarded the right to host the 2022 Winter Olympics and will become the first city to host both the summer and winter editions of the Games.

I didn't realise Beijing was famous for it's mountain regions.

I smell the loathsome lucre, that might have influenced this decision. :blink:

I'm too old to be cynical.

This is surreal. When I read the thread topic I immediartely assumed it meant that China was going to host the winter games - but Beijing?

Um, lack of snow? Lack of mountains?

Loads of money though? :blink: I think a few brown envelopes have changed hands.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/beijing-olympic-mountain-venue-has-barely-any-snow-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics after beating out Almaty Kazakhstan, the only other bid, in a tight vote.

The bidding for the 2022 games was a profound disappointment for the IOC. Every potential host city with a democratically elected government dropped out nearly a year before the final vote, mostly over economic concerns and lack of public support. When Oslo — which graded far higher than Beijing and Almaty in the IOC's preliminary bid assessment — dropped out last October, it left the IOC with two less-than-ideal options.

In a 137-page evaluation of the two bids, the IOC outlined several problems with a Beijing Winter Olympics. The most obvious: There's no snow.

Mountain events will be split between two different clusters. Alpine skiing and sliding will take play in Yanqing, about 55 miles from Beijing. Freestyle skiing, snowboarding, and the Nordic disciplines will take place in Zhangjiakou, which is about 100 miles away.

The average snow depth in Yanqing is 5 centimeters, with a minimum depth of 1 centimeter. The IOC included two photos of what the Yanqing Mountain looks like for its bid evaluation. These photos were taken between January 20 and January 23, which is two weeks before the period during which the Beijing Olympics will take place in 2022.

There's no snow:

screen%20shot%202015-06-02%20at%2010.28.IOC

Here's the planned ski route:

screen%20shot%202015-06-02%20at%2010.28.IOC

The IOC sees this is a problem.

"The Zhangjiakou and Yanqing Zones have minimal annual snowfall and for the Games would rely completely on artificial snow," concluded the bid evaluation. "There would be no opportunity to haul snow from higher elevations for contingency maintenance to the racecourses so a contingency plan would rely on stockpiled man-made snow."

Just how good can fake snow be for winter games? Are there any fake snow ski slopes?

It certainly should be cold enough. So they will need a MASSIVE amount of water up there somehow and then snow making cannons on 24/7 for a few months.

Could work - but then you have the cold. Average in Beijing at that time is around zero. So 2000m up ? -10 or less.

Mods - please merge this with the FIFA thread.

If democracies can't afford to host the Olympics anymore, maybe the IOC should start finding ways to bring the cost of hosting them down.

If democracies can't afford to host the Olympics anymore, maybe the IOC should start finding ways to bring the cost of hosting them down.

I can't imagine Kazakhstan could have afforded it? Or do they have massive fossil fuel revenues out there?

Saying that recently Boston pulled out of a race due to cost for one of the upcoming I think Summer games. Also the Brazilian economy looks in poor state.

It's now a huge vanity project, the cost is ridiculous and the stadiums are useless afterwards.

I can't imagine Kazakhstan could have afforded it? Or do they have massive fossil fuel revenues out there?

Saying that recently Boston pulled out of a race due to cost for one of the upcoming I think Summer games. Also the Brazilian economy looks in poor state.

Kazakhstan is full of gas! :blink: