House Price Crash Forum
jammin35

Landlords Providing A Service!

Just in case any of us are tempted to fall for the "important service" line from landlords, i received this from a friend this morning:

"We are basically 7 days into our new property. Bills are included within our agreement. A few days ago the landlord (lives next door) came hammering on the door and immediately said "are you planning on working from home all the time?" Off topic, 30 minutes earlier I was having a conversation in the house about how my employers allow me to work from home now and then. So I assume he is listening through the walls but that is another matter. He basically declared that the tenancy agreement is based on 2 out of the 3 of us being "out at work all day" and the agreement states this. It doesn't. I went round to see him afterwards and showed him some information around how I am allowed to work from home (legally within our agreement) as I am not registering a business or running a business or having visitors, simply doing emails on my laptop. He said he will not be paying the energy bills in the winter if I am at home all day. I mentioned that my girlfriends mum will be at home all the time anyway as she is retired and will probably have the heating on as she pleases. He then then "be careful how you speak to me, I'll put those bills up" and "don't assume you'll still be here in the winter....". I interpret these as threats to us. He also doesn't realise we have only moved in on the 24th and have been paying our rent (plus amount for the inclusive bills) since the 8th, and also that we are away for a whole month in September so will not be using energy anyway. He then said I was too young to be speaking to him (I am 28) and that I wasn't dressed properly (I was wearing long shorts and a hoody). He has since written a letter and again says the tenancy is based on us being at work all day. Perhaps in his head but not in black and white. He then says we will need a reference in furies and "he hopes to write a good one" which I also interpret as some sort of threat. He also directly accused me of lying about contents insurance. So we are not happy at all and considering asking to have our 6 month initial tenancy mutually terminated but in case he refuses wondered if his behaviour to date means we have some sort of case against him. "

Unbelievable!

so, he says the AST states the cost is based on 2 out of three being out at work.

Was he thinking of freezing out the third person, or does that become a non issue if there are two at home?

I think your friend has a nutter as a LL.

Time to tell the Agent he has breached the terms for quiet enjoyment and demand a full refund...move on.

i think your friend needs to get one of thouse pen cameras that he can put in shirt pocket next time he comes to call.

a bit of hard evidence may well be useful.

around 10 years ago i recorded my then boss swearing at me . in the end he had to agree to double the amount of redudancy money and give me good reference so i can find another job.

The word asshole and landlord just seem to go together so well.

I must be lucky because my present landlord and the previous one have both treated me as a valued customer. Letting agent are the ones that really wind me up, fortunately my LL deals direct, no letting agent.

I must be lucky because my present landlord and the previous one have both treated me as a valued customer. Letting agent are the ones that really wind me up, fortunately my LL deals direct, no letting agent.

Mine is also lovely, even fed the cats for us when we were away one Christmas. I've had some terrible landlords in the past though.

That landlord frankly sounds crazy.

Doesn't he have anything better to do than spy on his tenants and micromanage their use of the heating and electricity? If this is such an issue for him why on earth did he let out the property on a 'bills included' basis in the first place?

Surely he himself will be 'out at work all day', anyway, leaving little time to bother the people next door.

Like many landlords, this **** should not be in the business of providing shelter to other members of society.

"be careful how you speak to me, I'll put those bills up"

What a *****.

Given it is such a lottery as you point out, it makes no sense whatsoever to put people and families at risk of this ridiculous market structure where assholes can have such devastating impact.

Ar$eholes are a fact of life unfortunately. And they can be found in government bureacraucies, too.

Best you can hope for is a legal system which does it's job, that, after all, is supposed to be the protection from unreasonable behaviour.

Just in case any of us are tempted to fall for the "important service" line from landlords, i received this from a friend this morning:

"We are basically 7 days into our new property. Bills are included within our agreement. A few days ago the landlord (lives next door) came hammering on the door and immediately said "are you planning on working from home all the time?" Off topic, 30 minutes earlier I was having a conversation in the house about how my employers allow me to work from home now and then. So I assume he is listening through the walls but that is another matter. He basically declared that the tenancy agreement is based on 2 out of the 3 of us being "out at work all day" and the agreement states this. It doesn't. I went round to see him afterwards and showed him some information around how I am allowed to work from home (legally within our agreement) as I am not registering a business or running a business or having visitors, simply doing emails on my laptop. He said he will not be paying the energy bills in the winter if I am at home all day. I mentioned that my girlfriends mum will be at home all the time anyway as she is retired and will probably have the heating on as she pleases. He then then "be careful how you speak to me, I'll put those bills up" and "don't assume you'll still be here in the winter....". I interpret these as threats to us. He also doesn't realise we have only moved in on the 24th and have been paying our rent (plus amount for the inclusive bills) since the 8th, and also that we are away for a whole month in September so will not be using energy anyway. He then said I was too young to be speaking to him (I am 28) and that I wasn't dressed properly (I was wearing long shorts and a hoody). He has since written a letter and again says the tenancy is based on us being at work all day. Perhaps in his head but not in black and white. He then says we will need a reference in furies and "he hopes to write a good one" which I also interpret as some sort of threat. He also directly accused me of lying about contents insurance. So we are not happy at all and considering asking to have our 6 month initial tenancy mutually terminated but in case he refuses wondered if his behaviour to date means we have some sort of case against him. "

Unbelievable!

One more landlord who clearly is too attached to the house to be running a business....

What I don't understand from your friend is why he engages with this discussion. It sounds like he has signed as AST and one with un-enforcable clauses such as content-insurance include. So it is is important to just keep a cool head and not engage in terms of "I'm not using energy that month, etc." as that is none of the landlords business and puts him in the defensive....the tenant is the legal user of the house and that privilege comes with certain rights. A quick search on tenants rights might be in order. The term "right of quiet enjoyment" is one that comes to my mind. In my experience a proper letter in legal terms often helps instead of trying to reason with this type of unreasonable behavior. b

btw) It does sound like a landlord who is likely to "forget" protecting the deposit. If that is the case don't remind him/her that this needs doing....just take them to the cleaners at the end of the tenancy.

He is providing a service - on tap tnuc.

He's probably rigged the property with spy cams and is whacking off when you in the shower.

That landlord frankly sounds crazy.

Doesn't he have anything better to do than spy on his tenants and micromanage their use of the heating and electricity? If this is such an issue for him why on earth did he let out the property on a 'bills included' basis in the first place?

Surely he himself will be 'out at work all day', anyway, leaving little time to bother the people next door.

Usually it's done cos they've done a dodgy conversion and have never made it official by having separate utility meters put in.

The tenant should leave as soon as possible as it will be hell having a landlord like this; let alone living right next to him so he can listen though the walls. Find somewhere else and terminate the contract by mutual consent. If the landlord does not agree then there's always the option of sticking the heating on full and leave the windows open. Consider the timing of the current contract - if the landlord wants the tenant out after 6 months then they will be looking for a new place over Christmas and New Year which is a lousy time to be flat hunting.

Some landlords think they own you, your lifestyle and your money.....you may as well become their slave. ;)

All that landlord looks like he wants is all the benefits of being a landlord without the disadvantages....low bills, peace and quiet, capital appreciation and a regular income for life tax free.....he probably thought he could control who lived there if he owned it.....that is the kind of mindset ordinary working people have to put up with....

Edited by winkie

Ar$eholes are a fact of life unfortunately. And they can be found in government bureacraucies, too.

In principle, there is no difference between state housing run by a despotic state, and housing provided by landlords.

That's exactly why homeownership is so important - it brings a small degree of self-determination and freedom from interference by the state, whether that is central government or the local feudal landlord.

So, yes, it is appalling that we put families at risk because of this ridiculous market structure.

You don't own squat in this country even if you own your own home. Leasehold land, what a joke that is, why do we put up with that. Freehold, funny I had to renew a lease on a freehold I owned, never understood why.

Try not paying your council tax and see if you really own your home.

In principle, there is no difference between state housing run by a despotic state, and housing provided by landlords.

That's exactly why homeownership is so important - it brings a small degree of self-determination and freedom from interference by the state, whether that is central government or the local feudal landlord.

So, yes, it is appalling that we put families at risk because of this ridiculous market structure.

Which is why the current crop of UK politicians do not want wider chances of fair house prices. They are all statists.

The tenant should leave as soon as possible as it will be hell having a landlord like this; let alone living right next to him so he can listen though the walls. Find somewhere else and terminate the contract by mutual consent. If the landlord does not agree then there's always the option of sticking the heating on full and leave the windows open. Consider the timing of the current contract - if the landlord wants the tenant out after 6 months then they will be looking for a new place over Christmas and New Year which is a lousy time to be flat hunting.

Actually a very good time as landlords hate a void over this period

The roof over my head is provided by a professional body, an ALMO. They have a proper repair reporting service which even works weekends, and the conversations I've had with my housing officer have been professional and functional as it should be (not that I've had many).

For key things in your life you have to deal with professionals. You wouldn't for example take legal advise from a bloke down the pub.

Same applies to landlords. If they are not a proper registered business with an office, and contactable officers and so on then don't deal. Hiding your property empire behind a letting agent doesn't count either.

For key things in your life you have to deal with professionals. You wouldn't for example take legal advise from a bloke down the pub.

Same applies to landlords. If they are not a proper registered business with an office, and contactable officers and so on then don't deal. Hiding your property empire behind a letting agent doesn't count either.

In 12 years of living in various private rentals I don't think I've ever seen one advertised by a proper registered business with contactable officers and so on.

The roof over my head is provided by a professional body, an ALMO. They have a proper repair reporting service which even works weekends, and the conversations I've had with my housing officer have been professional and functional as it should be (not that I've had many).

Very good point.

Not sure about professional. Lets stick to border line competent.