House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

callaght

Windows 10

I have a 5 year old pc that runs like a dog

I've had a look and Windows 10 needs 1ghz processor, 1 of ram and 16gb hard disc

I'll see if my desktops got that tomorrow and if it does I might consider pushing the destruct button. Not much to lose anyway

Does win7 to win10 cost much?

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to upgrade.

I'm sure Win 10 will be good, er, eventually.

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to upgrade.

I'm sure Win 10 will be good, er, eventually.

That used to be how Windows went.

Not sure these days. There's bits on my work Win 7 PC that still do not work that well.

I don't think MS have enough SW resources to deliver on much these days.

It appears to be stuff full of UI designers and HR people.

MS killed itself with it's rank and yank system to ensure only the hardest working employees survived.... It missed the phone operating system market, missed the tablet market and realistically it's missed the boat with not making Windows a free OS.

Although I'll upgrade simply because it surely can't be worse than Win8 which is a mess. Famous last words.

MS killed itself with it's rank and yank system to ensure only the hardest working employees survived.... It missed the phone operating system market, missed the tablet market and realistically it's missed the boat with not making Windows a free OS.

Although I'll upgrade simply because it surely can't be worse than Win8 which is a mess. Famous last words.

Actually, MS was way ahead in the tablet market in the early 2000s, but the hardware was rubbish, connectivity in particular was poor, but that was the State of the Art then, barely useable.

Anyone remember the early PDAs?....some worked OK, those with phones built in, but most had to be plugged in to synchronise. All the gadget men had them...I found them worse than useless, as did they.

You get a year to take advantage of the free upgrade. If you get it you never have to pay.

Fear factor - how much will they realistically charge for it? If it's a sub I can see it tanking completely - these people all got it free and you could've as well if you'd upgraded but now you have to pay £x per month - I'm off to linux but thx 4 da offz lol tb.

Fear factor - how much will they realistically charge for it? If it's a sub I can see it tanking completely - these people all got it free and you could've as well if you'd upgraded but now you have to pay £x per month - I'm off to linux but thx 4 da offz lol tb.

It will be £99.99 according to the offer pop up.

I use Ubuntu on my media servers and am happy enough with it.... I keep Windoze on my business machine but only because it came free with it.. I see see the upgrade option but won't be taking it in case it screws up and I can't afford the downtime....

If I had to pay for it I would migrate to a free alternative anyway and many linux distro's these days are just as good as windows...

So what has 10 got which 8 hasn't? Is it a pointless upgrade? TBH the start button thing has never bothered me as I always put shortcuts to my most used apps in the taskbar anyway..

So what has 10 got which 8 hasn't? Is it a pointless upgrade? TBH the start button thing has never bothered me as I always put shortcuts to my most used apps in the taskbar anyway..

Better support for newer hardware probably, that's usually the main (only?) advantage to upgrading now.

Guest eight

Better support for newer hardware probably, that's usually the main (only?) advantage to upgrading now.

What's new in hardware?

I have no real reason to believe this but I have a feeling it'll turn out to be a respected operating system. There's the anecdote about every other version of Windows being good. Windows 8 made some really silly mistakes that they must surely correct. Cortana sounds like it could actually be usable. The system where you can unlock with your face sounds good. The fast boot up sounds good. Having the better aspects of Windows 8 with obvious improvement sounds good.

"C:\$windows.~BT – and it can be found by opening File Explorer and going to: Organize > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
Windows 10 is a significant download of almost 6GB which means you can right click on the folder to see how far it has progressed."

I have just over 6GB of install files on my laptop - am thinking about going against all my instincts and installing it. Then I can wake up tomorrow and discover how it all went wrong for millions :lol:

Up and running, Windows 10, try this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Create an .ISO file, or do a direct update.

That worked.. thanks.

Didn't even ask for the CD Key when I upgraded.

Only bug with the upgrade was lack of support for the graphics card (not even recognised), fortunately it is a fairly common nVidia card so they had good support on their own website and the graphics are now fine.

Everything has been saved, no files or programs lost.

I will give the new format time to sink in. Only thing I'm not that keen on is the presentation.. everything looks/feels a bit chunky and boxy.. not quite as bad as win 3.1 but you get the idea.

...not quite as bad as win 3.1 but you get the idea.

That sounds pretty rubbish if the best compliment you can give Windows 10 is that it is not quite as bad as a 25 year old OS.

I'm going to go for this handy suggestion

So far it's taken 2 hours to start windows and open internet explorer ( this is how bad this pc has got!)

So should start downloading at some point tonight

Have you run chkdsk? Sounds like the hard drive could be dodgy.

That sounds pretty rubbish if the best compliment you can give Windows 10 is that it is not quite as bad as a 25 year old OS.

Only the presentation.. Sharp lines and plain icons. Just not as pretty as windows 7 IMO.

Otherwise I haven't found much to fault yet (or anything particularly great either). I guess its strengths are all going to be under the bonnet or in support for different platforms/devices etc. If you run windows 7 on a desktop now, there's nothing particularly worth switching for AFAICT.