House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
HOLA442

The saying goes.....nothing to fear except fear itself.....fear is an important emotion it helps with survival.......what is not so healthy is to worry about things that may never happen, a waste of energy and time, over fearful/anxious people often play out different possible negative scenarios in their mind and work on ways to overcome them, to protect themselves from pain.....firstly these things often don't happen, the things that do happen we haven't thought about let alone planned it and much of what we worry about we have no control over anyway......nobody knows what the future holds, will cross that bridge when we come to it....less fear = more peace. ;)

HOLA443
Guest eight

Interesting - seems to contrast with a lot of near death experiences in which people feel a strong urge to fight for their life.

I take it you didn't see a kindly figure in white robes at the end of a tunnel telling you 'go back it's not your time,' etc?

No, nothing like that. It was definitely my thoughts, but perhaps channeling something else. I was obviously at my lowest ebb as I had arrived at the hospital but they hadn't begun any treatment. I was aware of this despite appearing delirious to everybody else.

What I really can't convey is the sense that if I did decide to jack it in - and it was just that, a simple yes/no decision to be made - then it wouldn't be held against me on some sort of cosmic level. It was OK to call it a day if I didn't fancy the struggle. Sounds very odd, trying to explain it like that, but that's exactly how it was.

HOLA444
Guest eight

Yep, you're right. I experienced something similar in the NHM. I was practically on my knees going up Warwick Castle once. One turret had somewhat crumbling battlements, and a loose single bar guard rail that others were basically ignoring. Went up Snowdon on the railway last year - again absolutely crippling. I'm sure I would have been fine had I walked up the blooming thing.

That's a really useful insight actually - especially with the relevant wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_falling

as I am always stumbling over things, and get bad car sickness. Perhaps it isn't so irrational after all.

Go along with that. Does anybody get it on behalf of other people? A few weeks ago I was playing football indoors, and there is a viewing balcony running round the court, perhaps twenty feet up. Usually some dufus loses the ball up there. Anyway, a guy with a kid, about four years old - I'm guessing his grandson - lifted him up and sat him on the rail, with his feet dangling over the court side. I had the nearest thing I've ever had in my life to a panic attack. I couldn't look. I'm getting sweaty palms even now, typing this.

Needless to say the kid didn't fall, but what an idiot.

HOLA445

You would all like going to a big gas platform. 8 stories above the sea, with a transparent deck.

HOLA446
Guest eight

You would all like going to a big gas platform. 8 stories above the sea, with a transparent deck.

When I was a kid the big co-op department store in town had those stairs that are just treads, with no backs to them. I blame any subsequent fear of heights on early exposure to those.

Can I sue, do you reckon?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I wake up every morning with a hard on.

Much preferable to fear.

:D

Post of the year!

My brief experience with prozac was the return of my morning erections, which had unfortunately all but vanished at some point in my mid 20's as my depression/stress/general neuroses increased.

HOLA4410

Fear is an irrational (autonomic) emotion designed to get you out of danger without thinking too hard. On that basis it could be considered to be logical... but not 'rational' per se.

The Americans fear everything which is why they attack first and with force, thinking they'll be attacked.

Michael Moore outlined this in the documentary/film Bowling for Columbine

HOLA4411

Two types of fear IMO.

That of imagined fears where the mind races at a noise in the night. This was something that used to worry me but now I just go and have a look, which I put down to losing imagination with the growth of experience.

Primal fears. I was walking on a windy day and my side vision caught two black dogs racing towards me at head height, I rapidly turned defensively but it was black garden plastic lifted by the wind. Boy was I scared though.

HOLA4412

Two types of fear IMO.

That of imagined fears where the mind races at a noise in the night. This was something that used to worry me but now I just go and have a look, which I put down to losing imagination with the growth of experience.

Primal fears. I was walking on a windy day and my side vision caught two black dogs racing towards me at head height, I rapidly turned defensively but it was black garden plastic lifted by the wind. Boy was I scared though.

I think there is a Viz cartoon about "Black Bag"! :blink:

I fear little but dangerously winched grand pianos. ;)

HOLA4413

If it had been these two you would have needed clean trousers ...

Two-Great-Danes.jpg

HOLA4414

Two-Great-Danes.jpg

What serious looking puppies. How big will they get?

HOLA4415

Two-Great-Danes.jpg

That sort of thing, long and low as the plastic was anchored at one end, lifted and moving in tge wind even when I saw it full on it would have looked like two dogs from a distance.

It's an automatic reaction, like hearing a deep growl in a dark room at night.

HOLA4416

No, nothing like that. It was definitely my thoughts, but perhaps channeling something else. I was obviously at my lowest ebb as I had arrived at the hospital but they hadn't begun any treatment. I was aware of this despite appearing delirious to everybody else.

What I really can't convey is the sense that if I did decide to jack it in - and it was just that, a simple yes/no decision to be made - then it wouldn't be held against me on some sort of cosmic level. It was OK to call it a day if I didn't fancy the struggle. Sounds very odd, trying to explain it like that, but that's exactly how it was.

Death is, after all, a natural part of life. The fear of death is, I think, more the fear of life - that you will die before you've done the things you want to do in life, which is why it tends to be stronger in middle age than in youth or old age. It's probably more the will to live than the fear of dying. I think as people get older (or when they've had a close brush with death as you have) they become more accepting of the natural process. I think the 'cosmic level' you talk about is what's really meant by God or a higher power. All the stuff about angels, clouds etc is an interpretation of this into terms that humans can understand.

HOLA4417

That sort of thing, long and low as the plastic was anchored at one end, lifted and moving in tge wind even when I saw it full on it would have looked like two dogs from a distance.

It's an automatic reaction, like hearing a deep growl in a dark room at night.

I thought I was just farting after too much ale and curry. :blink:

HOLA4418

I'm no good with heights at all, we have a factory 100 foot tall with Kennedy grating all the way up. Makes me feel queasy. I always get the feeling I'm going to throw myself off high things. I thought it was just me until I saw Paul Merton mention himself having the same feeling. Weird.

HOLA4419

I'm no good with heights at all, we have a factory 100 foot tall with Kennedy grating all the way up. Makes me feel queasy. I always get the feeling I'm going to throw myself off high things. I thought it was just me until I saw Paul Merton mention himself having the same feeling. Weird.

It's actually quite a creepy height, especially with helicopters going round near you. They do not turn them off, in case they won't start again. They can't be very reliable then, and I've been on it. Oh dear. :huh:

HOLA4420

Go along with that. Does anybody get it on behalf of other people? A few weeks ago I was playing football indoors, and there is a viewing balcony running round the court, perhaps twenty feet up. Usually some dufus loses the ball up there. Anyway, a guy with a kid, about four years old - I'm guessing his grandson - lifted him up and sat him on the rail, with his feet dangling over the court side. I had the nearest thing I've ever had in my life to a panic attack. I couldn't look. I'm getting sweaty palms even now, typing this.

Needless to say the kid didn't fall, but what an idiot.

Yes, that is also a big part of it. It's half my own safety and half others. I was in New York and went up the Rockefella centre, great views and not too bad as you can stand inside well away from the edge. But I just couldn't look at the people outside peering over the edge.

HOLA4421

This article in the mail hit home to me.......I can understand why it was suppressed at the time from the media as it could have caused great fear....what you don't know you can't worry about.....a close friend of mine saw someone fall onto the tracks in front of them as a train was entering the station on the northern line in the 1970s.....sometimes you wonder. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3174999/Scotland-Yard-accused-covering-London-Underground-serial-killer-said-shoved-18-deaths-trains.html

HOLA4422

This article in the mail hit home to me.......I can understand why it was suppressed at the time from the media as it could have caused great fear....what you don't know you can't worry about.....a close friend of mine saw someone fall onto the tracks in front of them as a train was entering the station on the northern line in the 1970s.....sometimes you wonder. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3174999/Scotland-Yard-accused-covering-London-Underground-serial-killer-said-shoved-18-deaths-trains.html

One of my friends used to drive trains oop North. He had a few kills. The paperwork is horrendous, and it's not a pleasant experience, I imagine. You can't stop a train quickly.

HOLA4423

It's actually quite a creepy height, especially with helicopters going round near you. They do not turn them off, in case they won't start again. They can't be very reliable then, and I've been on it. Oh dear. :huh:

I've climbed part of the way up a communications tower, and the height when looking down appears to be about twice what it does when you stand on terra firma looking up. Quite an odd phenomenon really.

HOLA4424

I've climbed part of the way up a communications tower, and the height when looking down appears to be about twice what it does when you stand on terra firma looking up. Quite an odd phenomenon really.

I hope you were wearing a proper safety harness. :huh:

Archived