House Price Crash Forum

Housing Crash - Camberley

HOLA441

Anecdotals - met a man from Camberley today - sold flat early last year - sneered at by neighbours saying he shouldn't sell blah blah blah - flat bought by BTL landlord that just cannot rent - loads of deparate BTLs in the area - massive number of vacant flats for rent. This guy's a banker and knows his stuff - former BTL landlord himself - reckons the housing market is 'on the brink' - his words.

Working with a new retailer at the mo - having the worst Christmas ever - fashion store - all neighbouring independent retailers saying the same - no money being spent - took £80 in a day on Friday - worst day of the year so far! One of the shop managers I met with this morning suggested that it may be happening because of all the natural disasters in Asia - :blink: I put her right on that one!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I went into Bath Thursday last week, late opening. I could actually get around business but not heaving (I think a lot of the people around were on their way home from work!).

Unfortunately, Mrs FTBagain went into town on Saturday and it was packed!! It could be that as more people are working (employment is still rising) they are doing their shopping at the weekend! The signals are mixed, but I think the trend is not good if you are a Retailer.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Anecdotals - met a man from Camberley today - sold flat early last year - sneered at by neighbours saying he shouldn't sell blah blah blah - flat bought by BTL landlord that just cannot rent - loads of deparate BTLs in the area - massive number of vacant flats for rent. This guy's a banker and knows his stuff - former BTL landlord himself - reckons the housing market is 'on the brink' - his words.

Keep the anecdotals coming gruffydd! very important.

frugalista

HOLA4411

Just been out in Swansea City centre and in the two big retail parks on either side of the city... surprisingly quiet... those who are out seem to be 50 50 between spending like no tomorrow and just looking.

Charlotte Church was on the TV yesterday showing off her new house in Llandaff, I watched this in passing when someone else was watching TV (honest!), I was expecting the usual popstars' baroque palace, with grounds, peacocks, swinning pools, fountains... yet this was just a big 60's box with a small garden. You could hardly park a roller in the back garden let alone in a swinning pool in the grounds.

When people like Charlotte Church cannot afford a proper stately home then the market is truly stuffed, not to mention grossly unrewarding to overworked pop princesses.

Either that or she has blown it all on drink.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Llandaff is a nice area. It is also where BBC Wales is so the area is full of luvvies. If you are a luvvie then it is the area to live as the people in the pubs, etc, are of the same ilk. Good for her that she decided on Llandaff and not Cyncoed.

Ok, she may have the area right but where's the bling? I mean, come on! I'd fully expect to see Aunt Gertrude in a house such as that.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Packed in Huddersfield and Leeds Today...Sorry

Same in Wokingham, Bracknell and Reading. I went into Wokingham at lunctime and every car park in the town had a queue with at least two hundred cars waiting to get in. I gave up in the end and jumped out and my wife took off home.

The shops were like Bedlam. In Woolworths the queues at each till were almost causing riots. Marks and Sparks was even worse. Lots of Christmas stuff is sold out now.

I can honestly say I have never seen the like of it. Boy, let the good times roll. It is AMAZING how people can stretch an 18k salary to include a 300k house, foreign holidays, plasma screens and a fan-bloody-tastic Christmas.

God bless New Labour.

HOLA4416

I happen to know some traders in the North Laines area of Brighton, & sales are dire apparently. A real shame as its populated by mostly independent traders already squeezed by massive hikes in rates. I just hope it doesn't lead to Starbucksification. One has opened worryingly close to the area recently. :unsure:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I happen to know some traders in the North Laines area of Brighton, & sales are dire apparently. A real shame as its populated by mostly independent traders already squeezed by massive hikes in rates. I just hope it doesn't lead to Starbucksification. One has opened worryingly close to the area recently. :unsure:

It's amazing how quiet Brighton and Hove has been. Maybe all the would-be Brighton shoppers are going to Wokingham and Reading as witnessed by Marina...

HOLA4419

Same in Wokingham, Bracknell and Reading. I went into Wokingham at lunctime and every car park in the town had a queue with at least two hundred cars waiting to get in. I gave up in the end and jumped out and my wife took off home.

The shops were like Bedlam. In Woolworths the queues at each till were almost causing riots. Marks and Sparks was even worse. Lots of Christmas stuff is sold out now.

I can honestly say I have never seen the like of it. Boy, let the good times roll. It is AMAZING how people can stretch an 18k salary to include a 300k house, foreign holidays, plasma screens and a fan-bloody-tastic Christmas.

God bless New Labour.

You're quite right Marina, but not in the way I think your post was intended. Woolworths, Primark, M&S, Smiths and the established/lower end retailers are doing well. However, this is because the GBP are seriously tightening their belts. One always knows times are tough when these firms do well; a great recession indicator.

As for boutiques, high end fashion, furnishings, white goods, cars etc etc. They're in dire straights.

As a Nu Labour cheerleader, I'd be very worried.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

You're quite right Marina, but not in the way I think your post was intended. Woolworths, Primark, M&S, Smiths and the established/lower end retailers are doing well. However, this is because the GBP are seriously tightening their belts. One always knows times are tough when these firms do well; a great recession indicator.

As for boutiques, high end fashion, furnishings, white goods, cars etc etc. They're in dire straights.

As a Nu Labour cheerleader, I'd be very worried.

I think this is a key point. My wife works for M&S and they are absolutely heaving this year. Last year they had special offers almost continuously in the run up to Christmas, but this year there are none planned.

I believe this is because people who would normally spend money like water in House of Fraser are cutting back, and M&S is the cheapest shop they are prepared to go to.

HOLA4422

A lot of flats etc seem to be lying vacant, even in University towns, from observations I've made.

I think by 'on the brink' he means the brown stuff is going to hit the fan in March next year; admittedly longer than we expected.

I think this is a key point. My wife works for M&S and they are absolutely heaving this year. Last year they had special offers almost continuously in the run up to Christmas, but this year there are none planned.

I believe this is because people who would normally spend money like water in House of Fraser are cutting back, and M&S is the cheapest shop they are prepared to go to.

M&S were performing awfully last year. Their business model seems a lot sounder this year and their share price reflects this. I've noticed improvements in their stores and the goods that they sell.

HOLA4423

Well so far this week Oxford Street has been pretty full I'm afraid, wasn't too bad this lunchtime, but it's been extra difficult trying to get on the tube after work :( too many shoppers like every year at this time.

I'll agree that M+S has been really busy, lots of people panic buying stuff in their gift / home section earlier on today!

HOLA4424

My M&S has been doing 3for2 on all their Christmas Shop items since October. Per Una has had significant reductions too. As for shopping online, their Limited Collection range has had phenomenal reductions - I bought a pair of suede boots that should have been £79 for £29. The discounts and bargains are certainly there.

HOLA4425