House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Government Borrowing, Debt And Debt Interest: Statistics

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05745

Published 08 July 2015

This is a purely statistical note on public sector borrowing (the budget deficit), public sector debt and government debt interest payments.

Jump to full report >>

The charts below show public sector net borrowing, public sector net debt and debt interest payments. Outturn figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the latest Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) forecasts are shown.

59c8857d-47a9-4d70-b85d-460819ef44e3.png87cd44b6-8319-485f-bb84-e8f9246f4f3f.png84d9b530-0a9a-44de-9c62-bdf8e77c21a9.png

Other Library briefings discuss borrowing and debt further: The budget deficit: a short guide provides some key definitions, whilst public finances discusses recent outturns and forecasts.

The ONS’ Longer-term tends, Public Sector Finance discusses trends in the public sector finances.

Commons Briefing papers SN05745

Author: Matthew Keep

Topics: Economic policy, Public expenditure, Economic situation

Download the full reportGovernment borrowing, debt and debt interest: historical statistics and forecasts

Just found this, there are some interesting stats especially how the interest bill has been going up. However I'd be interested to know what the future cost of debt interest is based on, has the author assumed a base rate of 0.5% for the figures? No details are given to how it's been calculated, it's a pity they didn't do various productions based on interest rates going up, but I also assume the projection is based on Osborne not borrowing more than than intended, hopefully he'll do better this parliament than he did the last one....

I think that is to do with growing GDP and that the scales on the y axes are different

the dotted lines look a touch optimistic to me

also, what would be the effect of including PFI and similar 'off balance sheet' debt on those graphs?

Isn't net debt the total borrowed and net borrowing the deficit?

Personally, I don't hold much store by the %gdp measure, I would go on absolutes.

GDP calc includes all sorts of totally unproductive activities.