House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Seagulls : Mugging Women And Eating Rats

You missed out the other recent seagull-evil piece of recent days; pics of "cannibal" (sic) seagull eating a live starling on a Cornish rooftop.

Even David Cameron has commented that the menace needs addressing.

My daughter strung together these coordinated news story and concluded that seagulls are the air wing of Islamic State and that the media are softening us up for war again.

You missed out the other recent seagull-evil piece of recent days; pics of "cannibal" (sic) seagull eating a live starling on a Cornish rooftop.

Even David Cameron has commented that the menace needs addressing.

My daughter strung together these coordinated news story and concluded that seagulls are the air wing of Islamic State and that the media are softening us up for war again.

There's a picture of a Gull with two birds feet sticking out of its beak underneath the line "the predator was as large as an eagle".

I think the Gull Awareness Group (GAG) is appropriately named.

This one wants all the restaurant tables for itself.....seagulls think they are rather special, they are in charge...... get off my land. ;)

You know it's the summer holidays when these stories appear in the press.

I work on the south coast and the roofs of my office building are regularly used by seagulls as a nesting site. In 10 years I have not seen them devour a rat, starling, cat, dog or child. Nor have they shown much aggression to any humans on site even during the seagulls breeding season. Given that the average herring gull weighs no more than a couple of pounds at most they are highly unlikely to be making a meal of most domestic pets. Indeed, my observations show that they scarper pretty pronto when my rather small but fierce Burmese cat appears on the scene even if they outnumber her 5 to 1. Like most animals that live around humans seagulls seem to largely live on the crap we throw away. David Cameron might care to note that in my experience the main predator of seagulls are urban foxes which needless to say is another animal that the Daily Mail and the Prime Minister seem keen to exterminate.

I work on the south coast and the roofs of my office building are regularly used by seagulls as a nesting site. In 10 years I have not seen them devour a rat, starling, cat, dog or child. Nor have they shown much aggression to any humans on site even during the seagulls breeding season.

When I worked in central Bristol, we had gulls nesting on the building opposite. We saw a small chick and we christened him "Gary".

Everyone got very exited when Gary tried to fly. All heads were at the window. Just shows we didn't have much work.

I work on the south coast and the roofs of my office building are regularly used by seagulls as a nesting site. In 10 years I have not seen them devour a rat, starling, cat, dog or child. Nor have they shown much aggression to any humans on site even during the seagulls breeding season. Given that the average herring gull weighs no more than a couple of pounds at most they are highly unlikely to be making a meal of most domestic pets. Indeed, my observations show that they scarper pretty pronto when my rather small but fierce Burmese cat appears on the scene even if they outnumber her 5 to 1. Like most animals that live around humans seagulls seem to largely live on the crap we throw away. David Cameron might care to note that in my experience the main predator of seagulls are urban foxes which needless to say is another animal that the Daily Mail and the Prime Minister seem keen to exterminate.

Sounds like you should be asking for your money back.

Nesting gulls are protected. The numbers of gulls have halved since roughly 1970.

There can be no question of large scale culls or destruction with the population dropping so rapidly (unless we want to make them extinct).

The key to dealing with them, is the following:

(1) Gull proof bins.

(2) People need to understand that dropping litter/food is NOT ok. The punishment for dropping food at a seaside resort should be an immediate stiff fine.

(3) An occasional Gull warden to remove or otherwise deal with a gull who is causing repeated trouble (for no good reason).

When I worked in central Bristol, we had gulls nesting on the building opposite. We saw a small chick and we christened him "Gary".

Everyone got very exited when Gary tried to fly. All heads were at the window. Just shows we didn't have much work.

How is Gary these days?