HOLA441
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You can demonstrate the concept of unfairness. Children can see it (and push the boundaries of it). So can animals. Victims of substantial unfairness become visibly unhappy.

It becomes problematic when you try and extrapolate the idea beyond the family-sized (or at most community-sized) group. Basically, this concept which is so obvious to the child and the animal, doesn't work. Well-meaning human attempts to impose it are at best a blunt instrument, and often counterproductive and indeed damaging.

Fairness is about avoiding unfairness. If you give one child a treat, you should give the other child a treat too - at least in the absence of circumstances of specific reward or punishment. But not the stranger's child: that's none of your business and you might get into trouble if your motives are misconstrued.

Communities and governments can try and create fairness on a larger scale. At best they can do some good, as in the idea that every child should get a basic education. But even that leads to problems as matters of detail confound good intentions, and the goalposts inevitably move, move, and move again. More commonly, meddling creates more trouble than any good it does: for example, that meeja phrase "postcode lottery" today stands in the way of any NHS management today adapting itself to work best for the needs of any local community.

HOLA446

I think the fair is the place they have the c0ck carousell all the deluded old scrapper birds have been on.

I think the fair is the place they have the c0ck carousel all the deluded old scrapper birds have been on.

HOLA447

Don't get hung up on pension thing, it's the general principle of what we think fairness is.

You mean, the unfairness of someone retiring today getting 3% where someone who retired in the 1990s got 15% on their pension pot values?

That kind of thing is indeed unfair (insofar as the concept is meaningful). But it's never the whole story.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

You mean, the unfairness of someone retiring today getting 3% where someone who retired in the 1990s got 15% on their pension pot values?

That kind of thing is indeed unfair (insofar as the concept is meaningful). But it's never the whole story.

It is equally unfair that both groups you mention got 100% more than retirees pre the 1908 inception of the old age pension. We all live in our own time. Accept that and move on.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Depends on who owns the sweets

The person who owned them could either keep them or share them....if they choose to share them 'fairly' all things being equal each should receive the same...

I left my pot at home, so I'll just take my fair share of yours today. ;)

Taking is stealing....that is not fair.....go home and get your pot of two sweets and give back what you stole to the person you stole from, only fair.

HOLA4418

Im fat. Only fair I get 4 sweets.

Your size does not come into it.

What if one sweet is 10x the size of the others ?

Everyone gets one sweet....and we melt those left and form equal sized slightly larger sweets to share later.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The person who owned them could either keep them or share them....if they choose to share them 'fairly' all things being equal each should receive the same...

No, what's fair is I get to distribute my property however I want to. It is unfair on me if I have to distribute my sweets evenly between everyone. They are MY sweets.

HOLA4422

What is fair is time, culture, and location dependent.

Eating someone against their wishes is not fair

But if you are a party of people starving in the wilderness and it will keep the rest alive until rescue - it may be fair

Fair is a construct (

and some other animals)):

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Fairness is what I think is fair.

Every person thinks this way.

Forget all the examples, if no-one feels miffed then it's OK.

If someone is upset, then they think that it is unfair, regardless of what others think.

So, fairness is entirely a personal construct.

HOLA4425

Isn't the fairness bar set at how you would like to be treated in their situation? Nothing more, nothing less.

Some people don't think like that!

Some will kick you when you are down! :wacko:

No! You pull people up when they are down, and then you might have a friend for life! ^_^

Archived