House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Deputy Speaker Of Lords Resigns

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/baron-john-sewel-peer-resigns-6140723

Sewel, who was a Deputy Speaker of the Lords and chairman of the Privileges and Conduct Committee, recently announced new powers to expel Lords if they misbehave.

I like the bit where he says he's got trouble paying his rent..

Edited by juvenal

I can imagine he struggles paying £1000 rent on £84,500 salary. Clearly they need to be given more money. Budgeting and cutting back on the extras in life isn't an option

Plus Office Holder's allowance of £36,000 plus other expenses. Plus rent controlled flat at half market rate.

Plus Office Holder's allowance of £36,000 plus other expenses. Plus rent controlled flat at half market rate.

How else do you think he affords the whores and the coke?

Every little helps you know..

Sewel, who claimed £403,799 in expenses between 2001 and 2010, was caught on camera snorting three lines of cocaine in three quarters of an hour.

He pays just £1,000 a month in “protected rent” on his “grace and favour” Pimlico property.

An identical studio flat in Dolphin Square costs £2,817 to rent — affording him a £1,817 discount.

But if you live in a Council Flat and earn half what this twit earns you will now have to pay the market rate.

It would appear that he has been particularly succesful in upholding standards. Much more of these shenanigans and I might start losing faith in our political leaders.

:blink:

These Dysfuntional people will never be satisfied.....gained the money and power, they still want more......and they stand there preaching intregrity to us...a total joke. ;)

His wife and kids must be so proud of their good old dad .... promoted by Blair apparently ... he is a bit of a tight sod only willing to spend £200 per night, is this the maximum you can claim for this sort of thing on expenses?

Every time I saw this on the BBC news they emphasised he was an "unattached" lord. They never once said he was a Blairite drone promoted by TB. If he'd been promoted by Cameron they'd have plastered that all over the story.

Being up for all that at 70....

Makes you proud to be british doesn't it?

Snorting coke and having sex with a couple of prozzies is such minor league stuff compared with some of the things that are supposed to have gone on at Dolphin Square that you wonder why the tabloids are making such a big deal about. I suspect if all the MPs and Lords who had indulged in either were to resign then Parliament would be almost deserted.

I wonder what George Osbornes views are on that coke and hooker combination.

Interesting that Sewel described Osborne as a 'consummate politician' while he was slagging off Cameron, Johnson, half the Labour party etc so clearly the Chancellor is a man after his Lordships heart.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Snorting coke and having sex with a couple of prozzies is such minor league stuff compared with some of the things that are supposed to have gone on at Dolphin Square that you wonder why the tabloids are making such a big deal about.

True. At least the women were of legal age.

Yes, his wife will be fuming, and his kids embarrassed, but Sewel hasn't physically hurt anyone. He's just been a prize idiot and (for a man who's nearly 70) should have known better. He's lost his job and his reputation and that's more than punishment enough.

Also makes me laugh when London journalists descend into apoplexy over cocaine use...

Sewel was caught with his trousers down. But he's small fry compare to other kiddie- and expenses-fiddling members of the establishment.