House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

Eu Referendum In June 2016

David Cameron is set to hold the in-or-out referendum on Britain’s future membership of the European Union in June next year and will announce the fast-tracked date as the centrepiece of his party’s annual conference in October. The Prime Minister has now calculated that a 2016 vote will give him a better chance of promoting what may end up being a limited package of EU reforms.

The recent turmoil in Greece, and the concerted efforts by member states to keep Greece in the euro and inside the EU, were also described as being “influential” over Downing Street’s recalculation of the referendum date. The reluctance in Brussels to allow a member state to leave the European project has encouraged government leaders to believe that the reforms they are seeking will be granted. However, the Prime Minister has, according to senior sources, now accepted there is only a limited chance of securing changes to the EU’s governing rules contained in the Lisbon treaty. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-david-cameron-fasttracks-vote-on-britains-membership-of-european-union-to-june-2016-10416200.html

Can he secure better deal in Brussel?

No it will be the same old crap and PR.

They will resort to using FEAR to stop people voting No.

Watch out for this in the run up to the referendum. It will be none stop FEAR, FEAR, FEAR.

People will then vote Yes, probably 65% - out of FEAR.

I wonder what a large Yes vote will do to UKIP.

Similar tactics employed to those exerted on the people of Greece.

Expect our banks to be closed for a fortnight in the run up to the vote.......

The saving grace is both the yes and no camps will (should) get the same amount of air time.

Plenty of opportunity for each case to be made. The failure of the Eurozone to deal with the debt crisis and the way they have condemned the Greek youth to decades of unemployment (for fundamental flaws in the system) (rather than address those flaws) will be high on the PR agenda of the no campaign....

Plenty of reason to vote no just for that....

I will be voting no. Of that there is no shadow of a doubt and nothing will scare me to do otherwise....

Edited by geezer466

The saving grace is both the yes and no camps will (should) get the same amount of air time.

Be interesting to see how No cope with being cut down to that level (although the print press will continue screaming for it from every headline)

As stated there will be a massive PR campaign based on fear to get people to vote yes. The question will likely be rigged so Yes is the easier answer, and if the country did vote no, I'm sure the political elites would simply use it as leverage on the EU for a better deal and still not leave.

The vote is a huge charade and the answer will be Yes, if that's the answer to stay in the EU. It will certainly be interesting if they asked the question Should Britain leave the EU, which I'm sure the question will not be as that would require voters answering with a negative.

It won't matter how we vote, it matters who counts the vote. Even if the referendum wasn't fixed if the wrong answer is given it will be re-run until we do.

Greece could be a massive boon to either side of the argument depending on how things progress. If Greece leave the EU and the Euro and then do well, it will show everyone else what is possible. This is what I think will happen eventually but will this be before we vote.

Either rigged or the fear factor mentioned above. We'll be staying. I read last year that law experts said any change of treaties or terms etc needed negotiations to get going in 2014.

By now he'd never have the time to get any changes for 2017 let alone 2016!

Extend and pretend! :P

Don't forget Osbourne's claimed victory of the EU bill a while ago was actually a fudge and the rest of Europe knew it.

Either rigged or the fear factor mentioned above. We'll be staying. I read last year that law experts said any change of treaties or terms etc needed negotiations to get going in 2014.

By now he'd never have the time to get any changes for 2017 let alone 2016!

Extend and pretend! :P

Don't forget Osbourne's claimed victory of the EU bill a while ago was actually a fudge and the rest of Europe knew it.

Dave going to the press saying we would not be paying it ever.

Then claiming victory when the EU afforded the UK easy payment terms.

It would appear in this instance that he had been particularly successful in upholding his promises. Much more of these shenanigans and I might start losing faith in our political leaders.

Watch out for this in the run up to the referendum. It will be none stop FEAR, FEAR, FEAR.

I suspect that is why they are holding it as early as they can.

No doubt the scaremongering will work for the establishment, just as it did with the Scottish vote...but the anti-scottish tone of the In campaign united support for the SNP.

My guess is they are holding it now instead of closer to 2020 in the hope that much of the support that will be united to UKIP will evaporate by 2020.

It's high time they set a firm date for the eu referendum. For the sake of the UK give it now - the Conservative conference is too far away. Not a waffly date like maybe June 2016 but a firm date.

It's high time they set a firm date for the eu referendum. For the sake of the UK give it now - the Conservative conference is too far away. Not a waffly date like maybe June 2016 but a firm date.

Patience my child, provisions must be made to ensure that even if the electorate votes the 'wrong' way, the result goes the 'right' way.

Guess June '16 would avoid next years' immigration figures featuring and this years will be a distant memory...?

Like I say, it will be a nasty campaign, and they want it as far away from 2020 as possible, given its likely to result in a fair sympathy vote for UKIP as it did for the SNP. OK, 45% of people were for Scottish devolution, who in the GE united behind the SNP, but 35-40%, even with a lot of pro-EU propaganda, could theoretically unite behind UKIP if the ref is deemed to be dirty...thats not what the establishment parties want.

Patience - that's a laugh.

http://

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15390884

^ A timeline on eu referendum promises.

It's not that complete and it doesn't mention the Conservatives reneging on their Common Market referendum promise in the 1970s - there's been various grades of eu referendum promise (ranging from brief mentions to the cast iron variety) going back at least to the 1990s.

Edited by billybong

yes if he uses the correct dates for the referendum.

that would be late february/early march, or mid september.That would send a VERY strong signal that we are not messing about.

symbolism is big for these guys.

mid march 2017 IS the optimum time for this to be resolved.

Edited by oracle

At one time we used to get annoyed at the EU getting involved in the minutia of everyone's lives, regulating sausages and such like but we were told it was the price to pay for the big things the EU could do. Well on the two huge questions of the 21st century the EU has abjectly failed. It has made the 2008 financial crisis worse for many people in Europe and it has no answers to mass migration from the third world.

It is not fit for any purpose other than providing sinecures for the Euro elites. Time to scrap it and move on.

I don't think so, Europe has its hands tied further behind its back than we do

For UKIP more like, in the event of people voting to stay in Europe who do you think the disgruntled rest will vote for in the next GE?

Labour will have disappeared up its own a**e by then as well

. ...UKIP answered this a long time ago .....?......if you need control of your own borders it would have to be a no vote.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

I want to say in the EU but would like to see fundamental reform. I believe this is the view of the majority of the UK.

Even if Cameron does not get many concessions I will still vote yes as I believe we are better in than out. Out we are in danger of policy been set on things like product standards and environment that will become de facto UK regulations because we are too small as a market compared to the EU.

By the way I think it will be a fairly easy win for yes as they will allow EU citizens living in the UK to vote in it and big businesses will instruct their employees to vote yes on the basis that no would equal reduced UK investment.