House Price Crash Forum

New Nhs Changes, Discussion

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

No, but you might care if you're admitted as an emergency and your ward is even more understaffed than usual. The invitation doesn't include extra staff to do the extra hours so existing staff will have to be redeployed. If you're wondering why staff can't just do more hours, I'm doing >70 a week already.

HOLA446

No, but you might care if you're admitted as an emergency and your ward is even more understaffed than usual. The invitation doesn't include extra staff to do the extra hours so existing staff will have to be redeployed. If you're wondering why staff can't just do more hours, I'm doing >70 a week already.

simple. Don't get sick.

HOLA447

I don't recall complaints from the hugely well renumerated NHS staff during the labour boom years, complaining that they may have been storing up trouble for the future by having such spectacular pay deals and generous working conditions? Funny, because the world bank warned on precisely that, but no came the reply from NHS staff. I'm alright jack, I drive a posh car and buy my kids iPads, sounds economically sustainable to me, Gordon Brown knows what he's doing. But no they were wrong. And now you're threatening me. Nice.

HOLA448
HOLA449

If you're wondering why staff can't just do more hours, I'm doing >70 a week already.

That really is worrying.

We definitely need to train a higher throughput of doctors so we can have more doing fewer hours at the same cost. Forcing/coercing people to work 70 hour weeks isn't helping anyone. We need more doctors.

HOLA4410

Do tell me about these spectacular pay deals and generous working conditions for junior hospital doctors. I really want to know.

In that case you sound equally a victim of previous overspending and insufficient economic planning at the national and also NHS level. It's sad.

HOLA4411

In that case you sound equally a victim of previous overspending and insufficient economic planning at the national and also NHS level. It's sad.

My personal bugbear is how difficult it is for taxpayers to find out what the NHS spends our money on. There might be a way for mancunians though. It's not much but it's a start.

HOLA4412

That really is worrying.

We definitely need to train a higher throughput of doctors so we can have more doing fewer hours at the same cost. Forcing/coercing people to work 70 hour weeks isn't helping anyone. We need more doctors.

My wife has just had a fairly routine gynecological and her surgery was timed to start after 18:00.

The nurse told me it was quite routine for this team to be operating for about 8:00 in the morning upto 7 or 8 in the evening and given people often spend from 1-2 hours in the recovery area that means these routine ops are not being cleared to the wards until nearly 10:00 pm. I briefly worked in the NHS back in the 1970s and there was no way surgeons back then would have been doing routine ops so late as out of hours use of the theatres was largely confined to accidents and emergencies. The time the average patient ends up on wards now is a fraction of what it was in the past so the throughput of patients is vastly higher than 30-40 years ago. That would suggest that in terms of medical procedures at least the NHS has become massively more efficient

There are quite a few things in the Health Service that I think need reforming, particularly after care but the idea that nurses, surgeons and doctors are sitting around on their arses all day doing nothing is laughable. Due to misfortune and ill health my family has had to deal with the NHS a lot over the years and generally when the chips are down I have found it to be pretty good.

As for all those that think its a gravy train for medical staff then whats to stop you training up for one of the jobs and doing it yourself.

At least its socially useful unlike the generally parasitical financial sector

HOLA4413
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414

Archived