House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

or in excess of

"so Called" Islamic State

Yes it is very important that we don't acknowledge the existence of the Islamic state. Its like 'He who shall not be named' in harry potter. If we say its name without tagging 'so called' on the front it becomes real and legitimate and we cant be having that.

The group still control vast swathes of the middle east and are killing thousands of people regardless of what the western media want to call them. All of it motivated by a medieval rule book that is interpreted differently every time someone picks it up.

Hardly a quiet word. Several senior tories moaned about the BBC giving the whatever it is credibility by calling it the Islamic State a month or two back.

The debate among the UK Establishment about what to call them is pathetic. The thing that gives IS credibility is their ability to successfully engage in armed conflict, not what some airhead presenter refers to them as on the evening news.

I noticed that. It's weird isn't it. He who controls language, controls thought.

It can only work if we don't realise it's being twisted and controlled. The 'so called' islamic state jars and sounds contrived. 'daesh' on the other hand doesn't. It may very well be that the word 'daesh' is contrived but as it doesn't feel like it, then in the daesh instance, it's working.

Once again the BBC are s**t at everything!

It can only work if we don't realise it's being twisted and controlled. The 'so called' islamic state jars and sounds contrived. 'daesh' on the other hand doesn't. It may very well be that the word 'daesh' is contrived but as it doesn't feel like it, then in the daesh instance, it's working.

I don't think daesh will catch on here, apart from in the muslim community. It's the equivalent to "the hun" "the bosch", "the nips", ..worse really...and though it may be apt, it's not really a term a serious news organisation should be using. It makes more sense to simply use the name they call themselves.. Islamic State, or ISIS/ISIL if it's less inflammatory over here.

Always wondered why everyone went along with the IRA as a term of reference.

Army implies legitimacy.

There's no such thing as legitimacy, at least not objectively. Power: you has it or you don't.

All states started off as something like the IRA or Islamic State.

I notice the BBC, ITV and Sky all now refer to ISIL as the "so called" Islamic State. Someones had a quiet word i think.

IZAL Used to be that really horrid toilet paper we had in school, some similarities there!

photoshop clickbait......somebody oblige please

The phrase "As Conservatives, we know that British Muslims are natural Conservative voters because they share so many of our values." sums-up what is going on.

If East Europeans start apply for citizenship en-mass all their anti-EU immigration rhetoric will turn into "As Conservatives, we know that British East Europeans are natural Conservative voters because they share so many of our values."

There's no such thing as legitimacy, at least not objectively. Power: you has it or you don't.

All states started off as something like the IRA or Islamic State.

I thought you just went round opening hospitals etc and then they made you King.

I notice the BBC, ITV and Sky all now refer to ISIL as the "so called" Islamic State. Someones had a quiet word i think.

They have been using this turn of phrase for months. As if mocking their chosen name is going to discredit them; it has the reverse affect.