House Price Crash Forum

19 Year Old Doesn't Understand How Much Data A Mobile Phone Uses!

HOLA441

Surely she could have picked up a local PAYG sim in Turkey that charged something like £5 for 6GB.

They probably even sell them on ebay here. They sell most of the european ones.

She'd rather spend 2 weeks full time working to pay £300 than 10mins looking on ebay.

HOLA442
HOLA443

You can easily be caught by malfunctioning apps or streaming videos that get "stuck".

I had an "unlimited data" contract with O2 - in reality, it wasn't unlimited, if you hit 2 GB in one month, you'd get an aggressive text message. If you hit 3GB in one month that was it, no more data for the rest of the month.

One day, a couple of days after a bill, I randomly got the aggressive text message, but I knew I hadn't been doing anything - I'd been at home most of the time, and using the home wifi. It turns out, that an app had malfunctioned and tried to download something, had started on wifi, but then kept retrying over and over and over again, even after I had gone out, and it only had a 3G connection - within about 12 hours it had burned through the entire data allowance.

These days I'm with 3 rather than O2, and for most EU countries there are no specific data roaming charges, and for those with roaming charges, they are pretty reasonable like 15p per MB. Of course, Turkey, not being EU does have a rather profiteering rate of £3/MB.

HOLA444

Surely she could have picked up a local PAYG sim in Turkey that charged something like £5 for 6GB.

She'd rather spend 2 weeks full time working to pay £300 than 10mins looking on ebay.

Actually Turkey is a difficult one. The Turkish government does not allow the use of foreign sold mobile phones with Turkish SIM cards, without jumping through numerous hoops - like getting a certificate of import for the phone, proof of ID and then having the network operator sign off on it. If you just put the SIM card in, the phone will work for a day or so, until it gets noticed, and then it will be blocked.

In addition, this registration can only be done once per phone, so you can't repeat the process next year without getting a new phone.

HOLA445

Harsh but true. But then I'd probably rather set fire to £300 than spend 10 minutes looking on ebay.

HOLA446

I'm a computer programmer, and I develop Android applications in my spare time. I very rarely enable data on my Smartphone, because I'm worried about how "chatty" some applications might be, and how verbose and inefficient some network protocols can be. And that's before I start worrying about viruses.

Am I just paranoid?

No. I turn data off too. I have a computer for that.

HOLA447

The other possibility is that she setup the phone as a wifi hotspot to run an iPad and then forgot about it, so on holiday the whole hotel could have been leaching her (expensive) bandwidth.

As for the usage caps, the foreign telcos can take a few days to pass the billing info through to the UK, so by the time they turn off the connection its already way over the limit.

That could explain why BT don't allow that on their mobile network, as I found to my cost recently.

HOLA448
HOLA449

PAYG suits me......disable all inablers apart from calls in and out and texes in and out, no mega bites required....call people that I know that ring me back who are on if they don't use it they lose it contracts I try and help them not to lose what they have paid for.....win.win. ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Doesn't look like it was her fault from the story.

While I'm sure she might not have understood the implications, seems it was from this.

O2 said the 19-year-old had asked for limits to be removed on her account, which led to the considerable costs involved.

A spokeswoman told MailOnline: 'We automatically cap data usage in Turkey to £40 inc VAT.

'Shannon requested us to remove this bar and increased her spending limit to £120, a 200MB allowance.

'She then requested us to remove that limit as well and we did so, reminding her that she would be charged £6.00 per MB.

Archived