House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'my Dad Is A Jerk!' 22-year-old 'brat' Blows $90,000 College Fund On Vacations And Clothes And Attacks Her Parents For Refusing To Bail Her Out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3172332/22-year-old-brat-blows-90-000-college-fund-vacations-clothes-attacks-parents-refusing-use-retirement-fund-bail-out.html

• Kim, whose last name is not known, called the Atlanta radio show The Bert Show to ask for advice
  • Her grandparents set her up with a college fund that was supposed to last four years, but she spent it all on tuition, clothes, and vacations
  • She was afraid to tell her parents, who then refused to give her more money or co-sign a loan unless she got a job
  • Kim didn't want to work and called it 'embarrassing' - prompting the hosts to mock her, while callers described her as a 'spoiled brat'

One 22-year-old incoming college senior is 'freaking out' about the fact that she's already spent her entire college fund a year short of graduation - and has enraged people all over the internet, who think the 'spoiled brat' should grow up and get a job.

The young woman, who goes only by Kim, has now called in four times to Atlanta radio's The Bert Show, each time taking listeners through another aspect of her stressful saga. Despite the fact that her grandparents set her up with a $90,000 college fund that was intended to last for four years, Kim, who is about to start her senior year, has already spent it all on tuition, books, clothes - and vacations.

But initially, instead of taking responsibility and getting a job, Kim blamed her parents for not teaching her how to budget properly - and faced the backlash of others who've called her 'entitled' and said she needs to get her act together.

How selfish of everyone else not to help her, especially as she has done everything possible to boost GDP by spending all the money ahead of schedule. This is the modern way, although a poor showing as she clearly made it last for too long.

use to love that bbc show - the bank of mum dad.

it was such eye opener that things people would do. i think the best one was the girl who caught a taxi to work instead of walking 15minutes!!!!!

There was a time my reaction to this story would be the usual disgust and indignation... but now I honestly say good on her, all she's actually doing is displaying the same self indulgent, want it all, entitled attitude displayed by a whole generation of boomers, and it didn't seem to do them any harm did it?

$90k, about £55k. To last 4 years

She has spent it on tuition, amongst other things.

If she was in the UK, (where I understand Uni fees are £9k a year (?)), she would have £4750 a year left to live on.

(Yes, I know she would probably get a student loan if she was in the UK, but it does show how much a Uni education might cost)

Why would the parents give her the whole 90k at the start of the course? That's a very expensive way to teach someone how to handle money. A monthly allowance plus separate payments for tuition fees would be far more sensible.

Why would the parents give her the whole 90k at the start of the course? That's a very expensive way to teach someone how to handle money. A monthly allowance plus separate payments for tuition fees would be far more sensible.

Because they're jerks.

$90k, about £55k. To last 4 years

She has spent it on tuition, amongst other things.

If she was in the UK, (where I understand Uni fees are £9k a year (?)), she would have £4750 a year left to live on.

Funnily enough I was in the US this week talking to colleagues about the same subject.

My counterpart over there reckons you need to budget $250k per child for college education. In the grand scheme of things her budget was always going to be on the tight side.

If she's pretty, she could make back the money pretty easily.

She could join the oldest profession, without a qualification?

well it could just be that this story is made up.

There was a time my reaction to this story would be the usual disgust and indignation... but now I honestly say good on her, all she's actually doing is displaying the same self indulgent, want it all, entitled attitude displayed by a whole generation of boomers, and it didn't seem to do them any harm did it?

Just shows that you know absolutely nothing about boomers.

Just shows that you know absolutely nothing about boomers.

The word "boomer" as often used on HPC is a generic term of abuse for the other. In the same class as the word "Jew" might've been used casually by the same mindset a century ago.

Bell-end.

XYY

Bell-end.

XYY

How did you guess the name of my house? :blink:

The word "boomer" as often used on HPC is a generic term of abuse for the other. In the same class as the word "Jew" might've been used casually by the same mindset a century ago.

I'll hit you with a menorah, obviously, after I have taken the candles out! ^_^

just costed up daughters demands for support for her forthcoming degree course.

the sum she wanted wasnt the one she needed, when I did the budget according to her...her demans was extra per year. In other words, here request for finance was 1/3 of the requirement. She was taking advice from the Uni people, for example take one of their flats...about £40 per week more than a student flat share.

So I went through the budget, called estate agents for a flat share, checked the prices of sim only deals, explained about working, getting back expenses on travel ( Its a nursing degree) and suddenly, she needs a sub to cover a couple of months between topups. Getting a P/t job will see her for the extras, and Im sure a food parcel will be much appreciated...I could even post the price of the parcel as I did for the last daughter to get her degree.