House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debtlessmanc

Think I Got Done For Speeding

B@@@@y f@@@@@g cops with mobile speed cameras,

left work early and there is little traffic due to schools breaking up. The beginning of the M56 in manchester (A5103) is essentially a motorway standard road with a short 40mph then 50mph stretch- no pedestrians only a hard shoulder etc.

came round corner and suddenly noticed speed van, but too late i was already quite close. Looked down at speedo 52-3 ish. What is the point? it was essentially a momentary lapse of concentration on a motorway standard road with no other traffic in perfect conditions. Like most people i generally do a few mph over the limit or just follow the car in front in heavy traffic.

More to the Point is that it will be first fine i have had in 30 years of motoring and no accidents (nothing approximating to one). In what way am i going to moderate my behaviour given that it has had an exemplary record so far and i feel the this situation was almost beyond my control without resorting to watching the speedo/road signs so carefully i cannot see pedestrians...

rant over..

You admitted you do go over so I don't think you can begrudge 1 ticket for however many years of driving like it, par for the course.

I got done 3 months back for £60 for literally cutting across a bus lane by half a car (lovely picture of it too), I was pretty peeved too but got over it.

It is the speed limit, not a target or minimum as most people see it. I say that as someone who at least attempts to keep to it and has cars continually up my **** as a result.

left work early and there is little traffic due to schools breaking up. The beginning of the M56 in manchester (A5103) is essentially a motorway standard road with a short 40mph then 50mph stretch- no pedestrians only a hard shoulder etc.

came round corner and suddenly noticed speed van, but too late i was already quite close. Looked down at speedo 52-3 ish. What is the point? it was essentially a momentary lapse of concentration on a motorway standard road with no other traffic in perfect conditions. Like most people i generally do a few mph over the limit or just follow the car in front in heavy traffic.

More to the Point is that it will be first fine i have had in 30 years of motoring and no accidents (nothing approximating to one). In what way am i going to moderate my behaviour given that it has had an exemplary record so far and i feel the this situation was almost beyond my control without resorting to watching the speedo/road signs so carefully i cannot see pedestrians...

rant over..

Simple. You don't moderate your behaviour. By your 30 year record you obviously drive to conditions and not a limit - that is far safer.

I've seen morons driving to the limit in cr@p visibility, so much so that I pulled off the motorway - it was deadly

Speed limits are for people who cannot think for themselves - and speed cameras a menace

I was in the end of the 40 zone, so of course it will almost certainly be 3 points. It occured to me that generally it i would not encounter the problem as i pass their at rush hour and that speed is impossible or there are simply too many cars for the police to isolate one. In fact now i think about it most people i know who have been clocked have been driving during the day between rush hours.

I feel your pain. try to put into context...it`s a very lucky man who gets through this life without a speeding ticket or any sort of brush with the law for whatever reason..

and yes....whats the point...It drives me bananas when you see 40....50...40...all within a few hundred yards...ridiculous..

Speedos normally read a bit over, so you might be doing under 50. That said 50 mph in a 40 zone you are going to get done for if they were working.

And it's a big if. Sometimes they just park the van there to scare everyone.

Sometimes they will just be sitting in the back having a chip butty.

Sometimes they will only have just got there and started setting up.

Plus you have the option normally to take the bad boy course.

So it's not over until the brown envelope drops through the letterbox.

BE CAREFUL!

They need the money lately it seems.

Outside of Ringwood I saw an officer in the middle of the dual carriage way with a camoflaged camera on a tripod, and the police van was some way away. The policeman must have walked across the dual carriageway to set up. I've never seen them do that before - however I guess it's legal as they have speed camera signs along the whole road.

Also there was a camera on a tripod, and the policevan was behind railings outside of the Totton railway crossing!

I also noticed a DVLA tax disc inspection van on one of the slip roads going onto the M27.

I've seen all these in the last 3 weeks.

Speed limits are for people who cannot think for themselves - and speed cameras a menace

You're not supposed to think! And don't question the Rules either.

Anyone who enforces, encourages, or endorses enforcing rules for the sake of it is a cretin that the world needs to be rid of. Blind obediance is a mark of an idiot.

Speed awareness course. Free pen if you're very lucky.

Yes this is what I think you'll get. A day out at the rehabilitation centre and a fine of some sorts but not points.

We shall see what arrives in the post. A colleague who knows some people who investigate RTA's says that they calculate the speed of impact and if it is as a little as 0.5mph over the limit, then the accident is officially blamed on excess speed ignoring all other causes (drunk driving etc). Hence the official statistics blaming speed.

at the end of the day, i technically broke the law, however i would maintain that a law that everyone breaks at some point in their life and many break everyday is a problem. if there is an accident hotspot install a camera, dont install it 2 miles aways at the start of the speed zone were many people do break the law but noone gets hurt....

We shall see what arrives in the post. A colleague who knows some people who investigate RTA's says that they calculate the speed of impact and if it is as a little as 0.5mph over the limit, then the accident is officially blamed on excess speed ignoring all other causes (drunk driving etc). Hence the official statistics blaming speed.

I really hope not because that's such a clearly stupid attitude to take; such a dogmatic approach will inevitably lead to erroneous conclusions being drawn which in turn leads to inappropriate responses. Mind you it's so indicative of the hard of thinking approach to everything this pathetic excuse of a society does that it wouldn't surprise me.

at the end of the day, i technically broke the law, however i would maintain that a law that everyone breaks at some point in their life and many break everyday is a problem. if there is an accident hotspot install a camera, dont install it 2 miles aways at the start of the speed zone were many people do break the law but noone gets hurt....

If they were genuine about reducing accidents they would replace cameras with traffic cops - they are far more of a deterrent

Speed cameras are a distraction, you spend more time watching the speedo than the road in front.

Someone mentioned the changed speed limits within several hundred yards...yes it seems to be getting more prevalent. I drive on a road that has a smattering of 40 signs along the route, the last 40 sign is a mere few feet away from the first 30 sign, reminding someone it is 40 then literally 2-3 seconds of driving later telling them it is 30? At least space them out and give people a chance...

I feel your pain but as someone else said, it seems we all get a turn at contributing to the fines fund. (For me it was stopping very, very briefly when there were no other cars in sight, to pick someone up at Liverpool airport. Didn't spot the pink dble lines and the camera up a tall pole! Now I always go to the drop off point. Lesson leaned. Wasnt dangerous at that moment, but I didnt obey the rules!)

I know that road you mentioned with the 50mph stretch. Easy to not spot the signs if you are not a regular. And I sometimes feel I am spending more time looking for (and fretting about) the speed limit that I am not paying enough attention to the traffic! So less safe in a way to be TOO worried about going a few notches over the limit? And when I take the cautious aproach, (ie go slow just in case as I am not sure it it' 30 or 40), drivers behind me are getting all twitchy!

The only time I ever got a speeding ticket, (abroad about 20 yrs ago), I was on a 2-way windy road and keeping up with the traffic flow. The loca lolice had a slower speed section (conveniently outside their station) where they stopped EVERY CAR. (We all got a cash on the spot fine.) I was upset and apologetic. (My 1st offence!) But the policemen was looking very happy ... told me no problem ... and I got a discount for being so remorseful and polite. (While others who were angry and shouting got their fines increased!) Don't think it had anything to do with safety! (Just a bit of fund raising?) The worst part was it was a hot country and I had just popped out for some iceream .... so that was a right off by the time I had sorted out my fine etc. <_<

I only got caught twice.On two consecutive days at the same place.

I must be an idiot!

If you get any government related fines, you feel are an unfair moneymaking scam, simply operate your own moneymaking scam by fiddling twice the amount back on your tax return.

You're in an even better position if you supply stuff to government or work in the public sector. If the former simply inflate invoices to cover at least twice your outlay on fines. If the latter then take office stationery to the same value home and flog it on ebay. If the risk is too big,of being caught for this, then simply break things at work - having said that if you are caught for nicking office stationery, and fined, they ought to catch on things will be getting even more expensive, for them, as a result.

DM,

Drive that road and feel your pain. Hope nothing comes of it (it probably won't).

Things that are easily measured are easily blamed. The people at the top know that.. You just have to hope you aren't dealing with some middle management jobsworth.

Good luck

rant over..

First time I've heard 2 miles be a short section of 40mph.

What the OP means is it starts as 40mph in a residential area and by the time you get to Northenden you are on dual carriageway with no pedestrians and everyone is itching to speed up to the next limit raise, 50mph.

I suggest that next time you actually wait until you hit the 50 mph.

First time I've heard 2 miles be a short section of 40mph.

What the OP means is it starts as 40mph in a residential area and by the time you get to Northenden you are on dual carriageway with no pedestrians and everyone is itching to speed up to the next limit raise, 50mph.

I suggest that next time you actually wait until you hit the 50 mph.

Your analysis is correct except that what I am saying is that if the police are worried about pedestrians or accidents with cars coming out of side roads then they should put the camera at the beginning of the 40mph zone rather than at the end just before the 50 zone where there are no pedestrians or side roads.

I don't normally exceed the speed limit and watch my speed. What happened was in effect is that I was taken in by an illusion, rather than impatience or a testosterone rush, that's what irks