House Price Crash Forum

Reporting A Racist Forum

Oliver Sutton

HOLA441

There's a forum I occasionally use that has a lax attitude to racism and has got worse and worse. (e.g. P*** jokes are frequent and not censored or frowned upon)

When I challenged this my post was deleted and I am now blocked.

Is this not now illegal and can I report this to some body?

Don't want to bother the police but a stiff warning from some official body might do the job equally.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

You can make jokes about the Scots, Irish, Germans, French etc.

But if you make jokes about Pakistanis, self appointed twits like the OP, puffed up with self-righteous, self-justification decide to be professionally offended on someone else's behalf.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I am afraid that there is very little that you can do. I find the best things in life, be it with offensive people in real life or on websites, is to simply avoid. Avoid the people. Avoid the websites.

It is a shame if you really like the website but hopefully there will be a similar forum on the same subject with less offensive people.

Although, as Byron has joked above, it is annoying to be Welsh and read posts like the OP as I wonder whether the OP has taken the same offence at such comments about the Welsh, Scots, Irish? Even about the English?

Why can't we all just unite, be friends.... and gang up on the Canadians.

Joking aside, just stop going to the website.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I am afraid that there is very little that you can do. I find the best things in life, be it with offensive people in real life or on websites, is to simply avoid. Avoid the people. Avoid the websites.

It is a shame if you really like the website but hopefully there will be a similar forum on the same subject with less offensive people.

Although, as Byron has joked above, it is annoying to be Welsh and read posts like the OP as I wonder whether the OP has taken the same offence at such comments about the Welsh, Scots, Irish? Even about the English?

Why can't we all just unite, be friends.... and gang up on the Canadians.

Joking aside, just stop going to the website.

Funnily enough - and I am the least PC person I know - I do challenge racism against the Welsh because my best friend at junior school was Welsh. It seems to be entirely acceptable and all the 1970s comedians' jokes that require a minority to be the butt of them have simply replaced the old ones with the Welsh. It may be more common in the West Country than elsewhere because of the proximity. There is no actual discrimination or dislike from the people telling the jokes, but somebody needs to be the fall guy in the joke and these days it tends to be the Welsh.

And yes it is being offended on somebody else's behalf but I only do it gently, I don't storm out or make formal complaints.

HOLA4418

But the point is, Bendy and Porca Miseria have made jokes about the Welsh.

What am I supposed to do about this?

My normal reaction is instead of rushing snivelling to some authority to complain is to give back as good as I get.

BUT

What if Bendy and Porca Miseria are Pakistani?

Can I make fun of their origins in an equal way to the fun I could make of English etc.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

But the point is, Bendy and Porca Miseria have made jokes about the Welsh.

What am I supposed to do about this?

My normal reaction is instead of rushing snivelling to some authority to complain is to give back as good as I get.

BUT

What if Bendy and Porca Miseria are Pakistani?

Can I make fun of their origins in an equal way to the fun I could make of English etc.

No, because you would be shouted down by the politically correct brigade - who would defend the rights of certain minorities, usually those with a non-white skin or those who are muslim, whilst completely ignoring the racism against you.

Even if you went on TV in a campaign too raise awareness of this you would merely be laughed at and ridiculed.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Surely English, Irish, Scots and Welsh aren't genetically distinct enough to be racial rather than cultural. That's why I stick to jokes at the expense of gingers.

I think that was the argument some years ago when Anne Robinson said something about the Welsh and she was reported to the Police for racism. It is technically, legally, not racist to say something against the Welsh, Irish, Scots, English if you are one of them.

Archived