House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Taking The P*** Out Of My Carpet

We adopted three cats. They're all lovely and very well settled.

However one or more of them have urinated in the living room at some point. I don't know which one(s).

They don't seem to be doing this now, probably territorial and related to the stress of moving.

We've cleaned the carpet ourselves focusing heavily on the areas that smell. We have a fairly decent washing carpet cleaner machine; when the areas become wet, the smell is horrendous, when it dries it falls away, but it is still noticeable.

I've also had a professional cleaning company out with their kit and they also attacked those areas with a special urine removing chemical.

All to no avail. It still smells.

Is there any magic product which will lift this, or do we need to replace the carpet?

I think the traditional thing to do when you have cat's urine on the carpet is to buy another house, rent your old one out to some loser renter, they won't dare complain and might even wreck your carpets. Then you can buy new ones and get them to pay for it!

Or....

If it's that bad just buy a new one. Cut out the smelly bit and use the clean bits else where around the house.

I just googled 'cat urine' and found several products. Got to be worth a try - cheaper than a new carpet.

I have known of people using pet urine products for dementia-related human wee on carpets and they do apparently work. Can't remember any names, sorry. I know cat urine is particularly pungent, though. We had a semi-feral cat who used to spray until he was neutered.

Sadly, we're the loser renters ;)

The carpet also has a bit missing near the door thanks to one of our previous cats.

We'd planned to stick a new piece over the top of that and glue it in. Nobody would know.. but now, I suspect we'll have to replace it entirely. That would have waited, but the urine smell isn't going to wait until we move on.

Thankfully it's not a big room nor the world's most expensive carpet. It's concrete underneath, not wood. Sadly. Or I'd rip the carpet out and have a lovely wooden floor, and deal with that later.

I'll try some more products on it first. We do have some of the professional chemical the cleaning company left with us, though I'm not optimistic. The smell is very pervasive.

Dam! Erm... Just move out? :unsure:

Sadly the smell is too obvious and we won't get away with it :(

It's not horrific, but it is noticeable.

It is disguised by fragranced candles in the meantime.

Carefully cut the affected piece out and stick it in the washing machine (on a low temp if it's wool)

Let it dry in the shade somewhere

Glue it back down

No idea if that'll work, but it's where my mind went to

Are you sure it's the carpet and not the underlay or wood floorboards underneath.

If I'd exhausted cleaning the carpet I'd lift it and get some hypochlorite onto the floor underneath - beware of fumes

Hmm, once put the cats in a "cat hotel" while we went on holiday for a week. Clearly cat did not have such a good holiday, since when we got him home he peed everywhere.

Guest eight

Sadly the smell is too obvious and we won't get away with it :(

It's not horrific, but it is noticeable.

It is disguised by fragranced candles in the meantime.

Are you sure it's not the candles you can smell?

Steam clean

Hoover

Rip up carpet in affected area

Steam clean the other side

Hoover

Spray with Lemon & spirit vinegar solution

Pin/glue back down

Spray visible side with lemon & vinegar solution.

Give it a few weeks, keep repeating, if no luck after 6 weeks perhaps new carpet time.

(Cats hate lemon btw so I wouldn't recommend this all over the house unless you want rid of the cats!)

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a go at the weekend with those, plenty of things to try.

It is especially bad in one corner of the room. I think if that could be sorted, the smell would be hard to notice in the room unless you put your nose to the carpet in particular spots, and it may fade over time.

This is how I know it isn't the candles that I can smell. They overpower the urine smell effectively, but once the candle is out, it only takes maybe an hour before the urine smell then overpowers the residual candle smell.

If it's a rubber backed carpet, you've washed it yourself and used a professional cleaner as well then I'd just bite the bullet and replace it.

If it has a separate underlay then (i) pull up the carpet (ii) cut out the underlay well beyond where you suspect the staining to be (iii) clean the concrete floor and once it has dried (iv) temporarily lay the carpet direct on the concrete, clean the carpet again then once dry (v) put in a new piece of underlay (vi) relay the carpet.

A lot of fuss but worked for me after a professional carpet cleaning company did just this and got rid of a very persistent smell.

Just wondering about how you manage with 3 cats as far as going to the toilet is concerned.

Do they have separate toilets?

For our one cat we need 2 toilets, one for No 1 and one for No 2. (inside cat)

Just wondering about how you manage with 3 cats as far as going to the toilet is concerned.

Do they have separate toilets?

For our one cat we need 2 toilets, one for No 1 and one for No 2. (inside cat)

When we got them, we kept them in for three weeks to enable them to settle and so they didn't wander off in search of their old home.

During that time we had 3 litter trays. They each had their own preference for which one to use.

Once they made a deposit, you had about 30 seconds to get it out of the house before the smell radiated throughout the ground floor of the house. On some days this felt like a full-time job.

Once we let them out into the garden (we're not certain but we don't think they have ever been outside, none of them knew how a cat flat worked) they started doing their business outside, and we were able to withdraw the trays altogether.

The urinating in the living room is, I guess, the little ginger slightly nervous one who tended to sit in the corner that stinks, marking his territory. However it may be the more dominant tabby weeing there to assert himself over the ginger one. This was more prevalent at first as they all "found their space".

They are kept out of the living room when we're not there, they have a sort of boudoir we made for them in the kitchen surrendering the kitchen table which we never eat at anyway, and all sleep curled up together. But, the weeing indoors does seem to have stopped and they are all very "at home" now - "they live here now" so I suspect those to be related.

3cats.jpg

One thing for sure it must smell really bad. Pet owners develop a tolerance to the smell and a lack of awareness to the fact it is there. A bit like a smoker's house being visited by a non smoker.

My sense of smell isn't brilliant. Since I am mildly allergic to cats, my nose is often blocked. Oh, the things we do.

And, yes, it smells bad. I think the smell built over a few weeks, and we only became aware of it when it got really bad and was too late; partner was also away for some time and so the room was used less over that period.

We have had guests and nobody mentioned it. At least, nobody said anything. But to me the smell is too bad to ignore and it's not fading :(

Landlord does about one inspection every five years and the last one was before we got the cats. They're allowed in the tenancy agreement (explicitly, we had that added when we moved in) and I hate to put the landlord in a better position than when they let the property to us by giving them a new carpet, but this is not wear and tear; we are 100% responsible for making good here and I'm fed up with smelling it.

Hoping one of the many solutions suggested works, though in the worst case I can't honestly see the carpet costing more than a couple of hundred pounds to replace.

My sense of smell isn't brilliant. Since I am mildly allergic to cats, my nose is often blocked. Oh, the things we do.

And, yes, it smells bad. I think the smell built over a few weeks, and we only became aware of it when it got really bad and was too late; partner was also away for some time and so the room was used less over that period.

We have had guests and nobody mentioned it. At least, nobody said anything. But to me the smell is too bad to ignore and it's not fading :(

Landlord does about one inspection every five years and the last one was before we got the cats. They're allowed in the tenancy agreement (explicitly, we had that added when we moved in) and I hate to put the landlord in a better position than when they let the property to us by giving them a new carpet, but this is not wear and tear; we are 100% responsible for making good here and I'm fed up with smelling it.

Hoping one of the many solutions suggested works, though in the worst case I can't honestly see the carpet costing more than a couple of hundred pounds to replace.

Carpets get amortized over 4 or 5 years, how long have you been there?

Carpets get amortized over 4 or 5 years, how long have you been there?

Your'e not an accountant, by any chance? I just look like one.

But we are all truckers here.

Landlords don't complain about wear on old carpets. They just replace them when you move. I had some burn marks from a bit of soldering. I got a little bit deducted from my deposit, but tht was fine.

The cats will calm down, and won't do it any more.

If they don't, there is the last resort of the one way trip to the Bangladeshi restaurant, but I don't think Mark will do that. :wacko:

Sorry DT Mark as I have no useful,(or comical), advice to offer, but I have to thank you for starting this thread, as I have had the best guffaws ever on HPC reading this! (You lot are so funny! And smetimes helpful!)

My daughter, (just out of uni this summer) is an artist, of the messy kind. At the end of her 1st yr at uni, (living in one of those private purpose-built city student blocks, were you each have a small room and share facilities with other students), she got a bill for £600 to replace her carpet when she moved out! She admitted that she had accidentally spilt some glue, or resin, on a small patch in one corner, but I couldn't beleive the charge for that. So I rang up to complain but they stuck firm. She said she had done it, (and we didnt have any pix at this point), so we just paid up. She and I both wondered if they would really replace the carpet (as they claimed) and we thought that £600 seemed a lot for a tiny room anyhow. (Even if they do have to get something quite heavy-duty!) Surely a cheaper one, included in the rent, which you throw away after each year would be a much better idea? (Cos these are students after all?!)

I guess you have all been googling how to remove cat ppe smells? I just did and saw this ...

Clean the area with an extracting wet vac but avoid steam cleaners. Extracting carpet cleaners expel clean water onto carpet or fabric then suck dirty water back into the tank. This can be a great way to rinse the area, especially if you’re dealing with carpeting. It’s important to follow the directions carefully. The HSUS recommends using cool, clean water in the wet vac.

You should also avoid using steam cleaners. Intense heat can actually cause odors to set into the fibers of carpet and upholstery more stubbornly.

So, if you have used a steam cleaner already, could it have made things worse? <sorry not helpful >

At least you can choose a nice/new carpet, which will surely cost you less than the £600, and which you will get to use/enjoy for a while? While we had to pay £600 for a carpet we didn't even get to see! Grr. (She is messy when she does her "art" tho! :D )

Yes, well frankly it has taken us 3 years to stop our cat from shitting on the floor beside the box (she had no problem with urine!)

btw, your cats look nice and clean now!