House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thombleached

4od Adverts!

Does anyone know if it's possible to block adverts for 4od through the Xbox?

I know you can do it on the PC through adding their ad sites to the hosts file, but I was wondering if there's a way to stop then at source (through the router).

If I watch the same Jacobs cracker advert again I'm going to hurt someone.

It might well be possible to block the ads at the router based on the assumption that the ads are served by a different host than the X-Box content.

However, and I've no idea whether this is the case or not, if the X-Box "chains" videos together (the ad then the content) then this might simply break it altogether. No ad, no content. And, if the ads are served from the same host(s) as the content, then blocking those will also block the content.

Were I inclined to try this, I'd log into the router, fire up the X-Box, get the ad to play, and then check the connections to try to locate which connection was relevant (if you can, not all routers will show this, it's the equivalent of the netstat command in Windows) and then attempt blocking that IP address and/or domain.

But I'd be surprised if only one IP address were involved, and if it were that easy. I did a quick search and it turns up two domain names to try blocking. Though it's talking about "dashboard ads", which may not be the same thing - I don't have an X-Box.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/65226277

It might well be possible to block the ads at the router based on the assumption that the ads are served by a different host than the X-Box content.

However, and I've no idea whether this is the case or not, if the X-Box "chains" videos together (the ad then the content) then this might simply break it altogether. No ad, no content. And, if the ads are served from the same host(s) as the content, then blocking those will also block the content.

Were I inclined to try this, I'd log into the router, fire up the X-Box, get the ad to play, and then check the connections to try to locate which connection was relevant (if you can, not all routers will show this, it's the equivalent of the netstat command in Windows) and then attempt blocking that IP address and/or domain.

But I'd be surprised if only one IP address were involved, and if it were that easy. I did a quick search and it turns up two domain names to try blocking. Though it's talking about "dashboard ads", which may not be the same thing - I don't have an X-Box.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/65226277

Cheers DTM I can't find any info on how 4od structure their outputs so I'll only know once I start messing around with things.

The host file trick definitely works so I might try just routing the xbox through the PCs network connection, sure I can pick up an old PCI network card for peanuts

Straying away from the technical aspects the sooner some people realise that trying to shove ads on people who are prepared to go to some lengths to ignore them doesn't benefit anyone the better.

Problem is web sites are getting more sophisticated at whether you are using ad blocking software and just won't work if you are.

My preferred way is to watch 4OD via Virgin Media on my Tivo though.

I do sympathise, last time I found it impossible to watch 4OD via a web browser. Indeed all it was doing was serving adverts!