House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The XYY Man

Durham Police - Canny Bunch Really...

Well, whaddya know..?

County Durham's finest are now gonna pretty much leave low-level weed-smokers and growers alone - as long as they are not "blatant"...!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11753350/Police-force-gives-cannabis-users-green-light-to-grow-drugs.html

I can't possibly comment - since I live in the county - but I'm sure you lot'll have plenty to say about it...!

But feel free to PM me if you want to rent a back-bedroom in the UK's most splendid place to live...

;)

Cannabis users in County Durham who grow the drug for their own consumption will no longer be targeted

by the police after the force declared the illegal activity was not a priority.

In a move, which will be seen as a further step towards decriminalisation, Durham Constabulary declared it

would only go after people using the drug if there was a complaint or if they were being “blatant”.

While the force insisted it would continue to tackle commercial cannabis farms and other areas of criminality

associated with the production of the drug, those who grow and use at home will not be actively targeted

and pursued.

XYY

Nice to see some common sense in this dumb old world. Good on them.

Indeed.

Can't quite see Hartlepool becoming the new Amsterdam though...!

NOTE TO HPC PEDANTS: I know Hartlepool is officially a 'unitary-borough' - whatever that is - but it is still part of County Durham for ceremonial purposes. Google the ******* if ya don't believe me... ;)

XY-HIGH

Is this where the "people on the ground" who have enough to do already and see the futility of punishing people for an act that imperils nobody else, clash with the edicts and directives of the establishment?

Is this where the "people on the ground" who have enough to do already and see the futility of punishing people for an act that imperils nobody else, clash with the edicts and directives of the establishment?

Hope so Mark - it's common sense to me as I am still a believer in such an old-fashioned concept.

I do not understand 'crimes' where there is no actual victim. Someone grows and smokes a plant and giggles a lot and can't stop eating - no person is hurt, no-one loses their property.

The police are quite right. They want to catch real criminals, not hassle a few pot-heads listening to Bob Marley and talking a load of old shite in their own house...

XYY

Can an individual Police force actually decide to do this?

Don't see why not, every police force will have to decide what's a priority and what's not worth bothering about much, in the same way as they generally don't bother people going 1/2 mph over the speed limit (the margins above that at which they generally enforce are guidelines rather than rules they have to follow I believe).

Guest eight

I'm pretty sure it's subject to judicial review however, so it's not totally carte blanche

Is that the posh term for a ******?

Guest eight

Is that the posh term for a ******?

How odd. Apparently I can't use a drug slang term that is a derivative of "white" and rhymes with blighty.

Hope so Mark - it's common sense to me as I am still a believer in such an old-fashioned concept.

I do not understand 'crimes' where there is no actual victim. Someone grows and smokes a plant and giggles a lot and can't stop eating - no person is hurt, no-one loses their property.

The police are quite right. They want to catch real criminals, not hassle a few pot-heads listening to Bob Marley and talking a load of old shite in their own house...

XYY

Well the poll on the page you linked to seems to agree

97% for the polices decision

Whenever I see a copper, senior or otherwise, advocate relaxation of our drug laws I am always left wondering- are they a hero or an idiot?

Because the stats are stark- something like 70% of 'acquisitive crime' I.E. burglaries and robberies, are drug related, and hence a similar proportion of prisoners are banged up for the same reason. I think it reasonable therefore to assume that legalising all drugs would result in at least a 50% reduction in overall crime levels, and that's before you factor in the behaviour changes of aggressive drinkers who might decide that a legal E and a rave might be a more enjoyable way to spend a Saturday night than 12 pints and a fight / beating the wife.

Ultimately drug legalisation would result in a huge decrease in demand for the services of the police. Those that see it and argue in favour of it anyway are IMO heroes.

Whenever I see a copper, senior or otherwise, advocate relaxation of our drug laws I am always left wondering- are they a hero or an idiot?

Because the stats are stark- something like 70% of 'acquisitive crime' I.E. burglaries and robberies, are drug related, and hence a similar proportion of prisoners are banged up for the same reason. I think it reasonable therefore to assume that legalising all drugs would result in at least a 50% reduction in overall crime levels, and that's before you factor in the behaviour changes of aggressive drinkers who might decide that a legal E and a rave might be a more enjoyable way to spend a Saturday night than 12 pints and a fight / beating the wife.

Ultimately drug legalisation would result in a huge decrease in demand for the services of the police. Those that see it and argue in favour of it anyway are IMO heroes.

Are you assuming that the crime rate would fall because the price would fall too? Because the users sure as hell are not going to stop using (in fact there will be more).

I'd say that the pricepoint for mass drugs is pretty darned low as it is.....

Are you assuming that the crime rate would fall because the price would fall too? Because the users sure as hell are not going to stop using (in fact there will be more).

Yes?

Look at Portugal where they'e actually done it. Or Switzerland where you get to shoot up in a supervised environment.

At the end of the day very few people set out to be a drug addict. Whenever you medicalise the problem rather than criminalise it addiction rates fall, and associated criminality falls all the more so.

Weed in the UK has doubled in price in the last ten years since most of it has been produced in the UK but the imported stuff (even the good stuff) is the same price it was in the early 90s

There's no economy of scale at the moment for UK produced weed ,the risk premium is high ,if there was an amnesty on growing 3/4 plants the price would drop dramatically as more and more people would start growing whether they are users or not

Yes?

Look at Portugal where they'e actually done it. Or Switzerland where you get to shoot up in a supervised environment.

At the end of the day very few people set out to be a drug addict. Whenever you medicalise the problem rather than criminalise it addiction rates fall, and associated criminality falls all the more so.

Can you be addicted to weed?

I mean they're not saying 'grow your poppies, we'll ignore it'

I don't think it's illegal to grow opium poppies. I grow loads!

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33676308

So basically it's like this: Grow as much weed as you want. But if they burgle your house, please don't bother us - we're far too busy chasing kiddie-fiddlers and terrorists...!

Sounds like a load of old b0ll0cks to me like..!

EDIT: Mind you, now that I've had a smoke it all makes perfect sense...! ;)

XYY

Can you be addicted to weed?

I mean they're not saying 'grow your poppies, we'll ignore it'

It's not physically addictive but clearly people become mentally dependent on it. It makes me paranoid, so I've never been that interested in it as a lifestyle choice.