House Price Crash Forum

Suntanning

workingpoor

HOLA441

Any sun worshipper's here?

Any tip's for acheiveing that "healthy" suntanned look?

I know it's skin dammage at the end of the day

but alot of people seem to be very into it paying thousands to get to a beach and bake for 7 days.

I've got time on my hands this summer so i've been gettting out in the sun quite a bit i've found that 2hrs a day gives reasonable results with a factor 10 (found all the higher factors block too much)

HOLA442

IMO as long as you don't burn and start early in the year at home before going abroad then you need no sunscreen at home, leave it for the stronger sun abroad.

I have a decent tan most years and very rarely burn.

Think of the vitamin D!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Any sun worshipper's here?

Any tip's for acheiveing that "healthy" suntanned look?

I know it's skin dammage at the end of the day

but alot of people seem to be very into it paying thousands to get to a beach and bake for 7 days.

I've got time on my hands this summer so i've been gettting out in the sun quite a bit i've found that 2hrs a day gives reasonable results with a factor 10 (found all the higher factors block too much)

I'm worshipping the sun this year. It's more important to me to top up my vitamin D levels than get a nice tan but that comes with the territory, currently sporting a healthy glow.

Too impatient to stop out in the sun for hours at a time I'm using no sunscreen but limiting my exposure to a total of 25minutes peak sun, in shorts, 15 minutes front and 10 minutes back [/b]every other day covering my face and neck with a t-shirt. Absolutely no redness (which is the skin damage/radiation burn you talk about).

If you're out for longer (like all day find a sunscreen with a high level of UVA protection, UVA is more associated wth skin damage). Mine is factor 30 from aldi (lacura) 5* rated and cheap.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

well, I had one mole removed from my forearm and one from my back.

It was strange when I went back to get the result....much drum rolling.....then she said......no sign off cancer.

It was lost on me......I thought this was the reason for the operations, I was 100% sure that I was already cured.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I used to love a good sunbathing session when I was younger and would often be outside from 8am to 6pm, even when on holiday. However I lived In Brisbane for a couple of years where the UV level gets up to 16, so a bit more thought was required. During my 2 years there I learned the following:-

Outside of the 2hrs either side of solar noon, the UV levels drop off drastically so sunbathing is pointless, as is wearing sunscreen if you're out in the sun. My kids are ginger scots and I let them out up to 10am and after 3pm without sunscreen and they never got burnt.

Everyone has a tan limit, reach it and you'll go no browner. This is usually reached after 7-8 days of 2-3 hrs a day of proper sun.

Even gingers wearing 50+ sunscreen gradually get a very light tan.

If you are going to go to the bother of getting a tan, always apply moisturiser a couple of times at the end of the day, the tan will last much longer.

All in all, I now believe actively worrying about a tan is like actively worrying about getting muscles at the gym, there's always someone better at it than you, someone bigger/browner than you and at some point you can't be arsed and they tan/muscles will go.

HOLA4415

Being a ginger I was surprised I got a bit of a tan a few years ago in that roasting summer. I wasn't working so spent lots of time outside playing golf, on my bike etc..

I barely wore suncream at all.I must have gradually got used to it. Played golf by the sea and no problems.

Generally I try not to wear suncream if I don't have to (after reading a few things on here that didn't inspire confidence) and instead restrict it to 30 mins at a time. Rest of time in the shade. If a ginger can do that anyone can !!

Maybe not an albini to be fair.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I used to love a good sunbathing session when I was younger and would often be outside from 8am to 6pm, even when on holiday. However I lived In Brisbane for a couple of years where the UV level gets up to 16, so a bit more thought was required. During my 2 years there I learned the following:-

Outside of the 2hrs either side of solar noon, the UV levels drop off drastically so sunbathing is pointless, as is wearing sunscreen if you're out in the sun. My kids are ginger scots and I let them out up to 10am and after 3pm without sunscreen and they never got burnt.

Everyone has a tan limit, reach it and you'll go no browner. This is usually reached after 7-8 days of 2-3 hrs a day of proper sun.

Even gingers wearing 50+ sunscreen gradually get a very light tan.

If you are going to go to the bother of getting a tan, always apply moisturiser a couple of times at the end of the day, the tan will last much longer.

All in all, I now believe actively worrying about a tan is like actively worrying about getting muscles at the gym, there's always someone better at it than you, someone bigger/browner than you and at some point you can't be arsed and they tan/muscles will go.

+1 to this - if you're not out in it a little before peak UV time (1-3pm) and all the way through that peak, don't bother.

Other tips I can give to get tantastic is to make sure you stay hydrated - I achieve this through at least 8 pints of ice cold lager/cider during my tanning session, if you want extra heat on the skin stick the chiminea and/or BBQ on early as well!)

Not sure about that last line of what I've quoted as being low bodyfat will allow you to tan far easier than being a fatty as lean muscle 'cooks' a lot faster than fat so get yourself down that gym regardless of what other people look like which is a bad mindset (think of a joint of pork in the oven, the lean meat is browned up long before you have nice crackling!) (I appear to always mention food and booze, I'm hungry now :( !)

HOLA4418

That's where i have been going wrong then, i have been laying out from 3pm to 6:30pm most days.

I did read about "solar noon" and the theory that a couple of hours either side of this time is when uv rays will reach the earth in strong enough quantities to tan you.

When is solar noon in the UK? around 1pm i have managed to find on the web.

I will also try this Reiman P20 as it seems to have good reviews also.

Archived