House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LC1

Calling All Watch Freaks...

...Papa needs a new watch!

Since I recently dropped and broke my automatic Orient Mako and have been quoted £80 for a full service (not much less than I originally paid for it!), I've been on the look out for something a little more rugged and , since I have now ended my short love affair with autos, prefereably with a quartz movement.

So far I have been very tempted by the aesthetics of classic military field watches. I started off being tempted by a cheapy Timex, but was put off by the many reports of very loud ticking sound of the movement. not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would prefer something quiet. Still, great looking watches.

Timex%252520Expediton%252520Scout_thumb%

Then I was enamoured by the classic look of the various G10 designs out there. The CWC is nice but a bit pricey and has a reputation for not very good water resistance, while the MWC is cheaper but with a question mark over its quality (apparently, although the more expensive MWC G10 models should be closer to the milspec of the CWC, if not better with screw back and 100m water resistance etc). On the other hand, quite a few watch freaks seem to hate on MWC G10s as cheap Chinese 'fakes' or 'copies', which I don't really get, as the G10 design has been done by various brands, and at least some of the bits on the MWCs are Swiss/German made.

MWC%20G10SL%20100m%202011%20l.jpg

Ideally, I would have bought a Precista PRS10, as these seem to be well regarded and were amazing value at only £90 or so when new, but sadly they have gone out of production.

prs10-5.jpg

As another option, I stumbled across this Citizen Eco Drive one from Argos, looks really nice and seems to get good reviews, but I'm not sure if it might be a little too large, and not quite as classic in design as the G10?

Citizen-BM8180-03E-Eco-Drive-The-best-mi

Any thoughts on this pressing dilemma will be greatly received. You can see the style of watch I'm thinking of, and at a price point ideally no higher than £100, so if anyone has any experience of any of these watches or brands then I'm all ears. Or any other alternatives that you think would be good to consider...

:)

I'm a big fan of Oris watches. Had mine ten years and it still looks brand new

I dont know about Oris watches. I usually put mine on my wrist. That way I don't need a special medical telescope to tell the time. :blink:

Love my watches - so much so I've dropped 5k on one, but when I'm getting down and dirty and knocking walls down etc I wear this tough little nut (100metres - 10 year battery) - bombproof

71KCJV9z1lL._UY445_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P64Z35M/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004D35W8A&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1SR3HRGN1426XEGD1TVW

...Papa needs a new watch!

Since I recently dropped and broke my automatic Orient Mako and have been quoted £80 for a full service (not much less than I originally paid for it!), I've been on the look out for something a little more rugged and , since I have now ended my short love affair with autos, prefereably with a quartz movement.

So far I have been very tempted by the aesthetics of classic military field watches. I started off being tempted by a cheapy Timex, but was put off by the many reports of very loud ticking sound of the movement. not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would prefer something quiet. Still, great looking watches.

Timex%252520Expediton%252520Scout_thumb%

Then I was enamoured by the classic look of the various G10 designs out there. The CWC is nice but a bit pricey and has a reputation for not very good water resistance, while the MWC is cheaper but with a question mark over its quality (apparently, although the more expensive MWC G10 models should be closer to the milspec of the CWC, if not better with screw back and 100m water resistance etc). On the other hand, quite a few watch freaks seem to hate on MWC G10s as cheap Chinese 'fakes' or 'copies', which I don't really get, as the G10 design has been done by various brands, and at least some of the bits on the MWCs are Swiss/German made.

MWC%20G10SL%20100m%202011%20l.jpg

Ideally, I would have bought a Precista PRS10, as these seem to be well regarded and were amazing value at only £90 or so when new, but sadly they have gone out of production.

prs10-5.jpg

As another option, I stumbled across this Citizen Eco Drive one from Argos, looks really nice and seems to get good reviews, but I'm not sure if it might be a little too large, and not quite as classic in design as the G10?

Citizen-BM8180-03E-Eco-Drive-The-best-mi

Any thoughts on this pressing dilemma will be greatly received. You can see the style of watch I'm thinking of, and at a price point ideally no higher than £100, so if anyone has any experience of any of these watches or brands then I'm all ears. Or any other alternatives that you think would be good to consider...

:)

CWC was the genuine article, but I don't think it is particularly special these days. MWC similar but not 'the genuine article'. I think Seiko were suppliers of choice at one point, but I'm not sure if they do that style these days. The Timex ones look just as good but I agree that a loud movement is a pain.

If I was buying G10 at the moment I'd consider a Traser H3 (P5900) - cheap enough, well made (swiss movement), and the tritated light sources give it a certain something... Not sure about noise but the Ronda 505 is meant to be quiet.

But by amazing coincidence I've just found a Timex Easy Reader (as posted by LiH above) in a shed I was clearing out - one battery & new strap later and I'm v. pleased with it...

Watches are one of the many instruments of human slavery - and believe me, the value of not actually wearing one is as priceless as it is liberating..!

And if that sentiment doesn't piss you off enough, then don't get me started on mobile phones...!!!

Or - as Frank from 'Shameless' once put it - The Devil's Dildos..!

;)

XYY

Watches are one of the many instruments of human slavery - and believe me, the value of not actually wearing one is as priceless as it is liberating..!

And if that sentiment doesn't piss you off enough, then don't get me started on mobile phones...!!!

Or - as Frank from 'Shameless' once put it - The Devil's Dildos..!

;)

XYY

What a fantastic job that would be!

This place is always good for a browse, quite a few brands that you don't usually see. (they do quite a line in the mondaine watches)

http://www.mastersintime.com/

I've used them for spare straps and stuff and had no problem, the prices are pretty good as well.

Some of the Casio edifice watches seem quite good for under 80 quid.

I got this timex thinking I could wear it hiking and outdoors generally

51kBhocOQ-L.jpg

The tick tock of it is so loud it stops me wearing it. Seriously I have to leave it in another room, I can't take it camping as I can't have it anywhere near the tent.

Its a right shame as otherwise its a lovely watch well made with a really clear dial.

These are the sort of watches I like as a daily wear that inevitably get smashed to bits eventually. Like the look of that Timex with the brown strap, is the ticking really that bad?

These are the sort of watches I like as a daily wear that inevitably get smashed to bits eventually. Like the look of that Timex with the brown strap, is the ticking really that bad?

Is that the Easy Read you are referring to in my post. Tick is inaudible unless I hold the watch to my ear..

Yes, it's a Timex weekender, I love it and the nato straps make it very versatile. But it is seriously loud from a ticking point of view. Wouldn't notice it during normal day wear but at night time makes a hell of a racket, as t1234 said you need to leave it in another room with the door shut (or as I do just pop the pin and then readjust when I want to wear it).

For a general purpose day to day watch I have had a Timex Easy Reader for about the last 15 years. Very happy. Not noisy.

I saw that Timex too, nice and classic looking. Good to hear it's not too noisy, the Timex Scout is still on my list. Might just buy it and back it if it drives me nuts.

CWC was the genuine article, but I don't think it is particularly special these days. MWC similar but not 'the genuine article'. I think Seiko were suppliers of choice at one point, but I'm not sure if they do that style these days. The Timex ones look just as good but I agree that a loud movement is a pain.

If I was buying G10 at the moment I'd consider a Traser H3 (P5900) - cheap enough, well made (swiss movement), and the tritated light sources give it a certain something... Not sure about noise but the Ronda 505 is meant to be quiet.

But by amazing coincidence I've just found a Timex Easy Reader (as posted by LiH above) in a shed I was clearing out - one battery & new strap later and I'm v. pleased with it...

Cheers. I liked the look of that Traser initially, the price is good and I've heard that they're very reliable watches, but then I saw it in profile and it sits far too high on the wrist for my liking. Part of what I like about the field watches is the slim profile that sits well under cuffs etc. The tritium lume looks impressive though!

So, pretty much anything is an improvement ;)

:D Oi cheeky, that's my running/swimming watch that is serving me very respectfully in this emergency situation!

The tick tock of it is so loud it stops me wearing it. Seriously I have to leave it in another room, I can't take it camping as I can't have it anywhere near the tent.

Its a right shame as otherwise its a lovely watch well made with a really clear dial.

That's what I've heard, I'm amazed that a watch could be that loud, but as you attest, it's loud enough to be a problem for many people. That's the Timex weekender, a lovely looker, but I suspect that the one I'm looking at may have similar issues. Might give it a try anyway, see how it goes.

Thanks to others for their suggestions. Oris watches are way out of the price range I was looking at. That Casio does look bombproof but, like the G shock range, it's hardly going to win a beauty contest! that Hamilton is lovely and exactly the kind of thing I'd like, but the price is still a bit to hefty for me. I like the Mondaine style too, modernist but not too *****y.

(Edit: **** rhymes with tank!)

I was reading a posh car magazine at the dentists this morning, and it's stuffed with adverts for very expensive watches. Still I suppose if you can afford those cars, you can have one of those watches.

Ideal for the man with more money than sense.

I found out the hard way, and now I just have less money. :blink:

I was reading a posh car magazine at the dentists this morning, and it's stuffed with adverts for very expensive watches. Still I suppose if you can afford those cars, you can have one of those watches.

Ideal for the man with more money than sense.

I found out the hard way, and now I just have less money. :blink:

Funnily enough the watchsmith I went to for a repair quote (£80 for a RRP£100 watch!) made an analogy between mechanical watches and cars - equivalent hours (to a full watch service) by a mechanic would cost around £400-£500, apparently (well, he would say that, wouldn't he?!).