House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Bear

Att: Truckers, 'wheel Height 51"'

Noticed a sign saying 'Wheel height 51" on the back of a tractor unit today. Have never seen this before although, TBH. you don't often see units without trailers these days. Knowing that we have a few truck drivers on the forum could one of them please enlighten me as to what it means?

These people really aren't truck drivers. If I saw a sign saying "51 inch wheel", I may be led to believe the vehicle may have 51 inch wheels. Maybe I've taken it too literally?

I`m not a trucker but my guess would be the height of the "fifth wheel"( the bit the attaches the unit to the trailer)

I thought something along that line but was hoping to find someone who 'knew' rather than 'thought' :mellow:

I thought something along that line but was hoping to find someone who 'knew' rather than 'thought' :mellow:

Never driven anything more than a 7.5 tonne! I can't work them very well, as I am used to an automatic.

Please, Pin, if you're going to make stuff up at least make it vaguely plausible.

.... If I saw a sign saying "51 inch wheel", I may be led to believe the vehicle may have 51 inch wheels. Maybe I've taken it too literally?

I`m not a trucker but my guess would be the height of the "fifth wheel"( the bit the attaches the unit to the trailer)

Yep, normal height is 1250mm so trailer headboards usually quote height and then say based on a 1250mm fifth wheel. There is a problem with some 6x2 units where the fifth wheel height actually varies if the extra axle is raised or lower.

Plus the ongoing problem of bridge heights being quoted in a mish mash of imperial and metric. I've had a few trailers roofs smashed to bits over the years.

These people really aren't truck drivers. If I saw a sign saying "51 inch wheel", I may be led to believe the vehicle may have 51 inch wheels. Maybe I've taken it too literally?

I walked past a tractor at the weekend and noticed quite remarkedly that the wheel was bigger than me and I'm 5' 11.

I then had the usual apocalyptic thoughts that if the oil age were to end this farming malarkly would soon become a thing of myth and lore!