House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Recommend A Fund Please

It's around time to do my annual tax-avoiding SIPP investment so does anybody have any current favourites?

I've been sticking it into UK equity income funds over the last few years (which have done surprisingly well) but have been toying with the idea of the US or maybe Europe if it's cheap enough at the moment.

I have a wide range of existing investments so there's no need to diversify it and it'll probably all go into just the one fund or maybe two funds 80 (safe) / 20 (punt). I wouldn't consider investing in bonds / fixed income as that seems a good way to erode your capital. Or gold.... yet.

I will report back.

Nobody? I used to like M&G Recovery for ages but don't want any more in there.

I'm already global Mr Drummer. My diversities are diversified.

US looks a bit pricey. Europe is cheaper, but not as cheap as it was. Emerging markets have been out of favour of late, and could offer best value - though they could also get a whole lot cheaper.

If you're after a single fund, why not go global? My single biggest fund holding is Scottish Mortgage, which has been an excellent performer of late (and has a 30-year record to beat HPI too), but is also higher risk than many in the shorter term. But that's just one of many options, and (for example) smaller companies can often beat the giants.

Or you can pick sectors. For example, biotech has performed superbly of late (pick any fund), while natural resources have plummeted. Will those trends continue or reverse? Your judgement, or an egg in each of those baskets, or just stick with the generalists?